Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Idea for Future CL Version

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

I've been thinking about this and I may possibly have a cool idea for a future CL version. If Haunter can somehow code in a cash gain for each kill (ex....+$350 for a grunt kill or whatever) then a really cool thing would be for the grunts to drop an mp5 or m3 depending on what they're armed with. I'm pretty sure that the way the game works now if you picked up one of their dropped guns it would start with a full clip but there wouldn't be any bullets in reserve. That would prevent a player from being given "infinite" bullets for the mp5 (or close to) and, if the grunt kills only gave you, say......$100, it would maybe slow down how fast the player earns cash while at the same time making sure they always have a weapon. I dunno if this is doable but I think it'd be cooler that the random cash drops. (Plus I wanna look at my pretty custom w_models) :D

Replies

• Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    1,496 points Ranked 21805th
    access_time 16y
    Originally posted by LobotomyVctm Thanks. I knew the basics but wasn't quite sure how it worked. I've never tried to mess with the CS models before so I've really got no way to work on that. Can you give me a rough time to work with (ex... .7 seconds or something) or some program I can download so I can work on that. Thanks.
    I can't exactly, diffrent models might bind to diffrent timings, try to count the seconds in between the animation starts and till the sound starts playing I think drawing is 1 sec or 0.5 sec.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    2,424 points Ranked 20181st
    access_time 16y
    It's already done. I decided to put values suitable for each and every enemy. Like Hgrunts give $300. Well, I have a feeling some of us would like them to give $1500. But that would be unlikely. This feature will have no user inputs except for activating this command
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LobotomyVctm avatar
    LobotomyVctm Joined 17y ago
    119 points Ranked 64462nd
    access_time 17y
    I know. I was just quoting an amount off the top of my head. If you do decide to impliment this, maybe we should have a discussion on the BB what the values should be.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    access_time 17y
    If Haunter added the "cash for kill" idea but toned it down a little (maybe $200 or so instead of $350 like CS)
    Different enemies, different values.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LobotomyVctm avatar
    access_time 17y
    Thanks. I knew the basics but wasn't quite sure how it worked. I've never tried to mess with the CS models before so I've really got no way to work on that. Can you give me a rough time to work with (ex... .7 seconds or something) or some program I can download so I can work on that. Thanks.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Okay more detail. Each anim you see in game for example reload animation, is made of several frames or pictures, let's call it pictures even if you don't draw em ok? So each picture is one frame. Have you seen how they make cartoon films? almost same procedure with Models for HL, CS, CL and shit mods... bla bla bla. So we move the model a little bit everytime, take a pic then move some more, pic. In the end we sits with several frames making one complete animation. As for sound, in the .qc file we tell HL to play a sound when the animation reaches a desired frame. Example: Frame 20, when HL runs the model and reaches frame 20 it starts to play the sound and continiues with the animation. So we modelers decide when the animation should be played.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LobotomyVctm avatar
    access_time 17y
    :confused: I really wish I knew what that meant. I'm just using Windows Sound Recorder and inserting the sound file three times in a row for the burst sound.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Sweeper avatar
    Sweeper Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Originally posted by LobotomyVctm BTW Ranger...I've been messing around with the sound files for the grunt weapons and I haven't managed to get the timing down right. What length of time did you have between the mp5 shots in your thread about replacing CL sounds? As near as I can tell it's about .7 seconds but that doesn't quite sound right for me.
    Diffrent models diffrent timings. It is in a .qc file on the inside of the .mdl It is controlled by the frame number, every animation is based on a set of images taken during animation. Then it can be binded to frame 20 or something depending on the model.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LobotomyVctm avatar
    access_time 17y
    BTW Ranger...I've been messing around with the sound files for the grunt weapons and I haven't managed to get the timing down right. What length of time did you have between the mp5 shots in your thread about replacing CL sounds? As near as I can tell it's about .7 seconds but that doesn't quite sound right for me.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LobotomyVctm avatar
    access_time 17y
    Ranger, you would still be able to buy out the entire CS arsenal if the grunts dropped weapons. If Haunter added the "cash for kill" idea but toned it down a little (maybe $200 or so instead of $350 like CS) then you'd still have cash to buy weapons. I just thought it would be cool to have the grunts drop their guns instead of cash packet (though that seems to follow with today's military strategy...throw cash at our semi-allies till they agree with us :D )
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • The Ranger avatar
    The Ranger Joined 17y ago
    506 points Ranked 45292nd
    access_time 17y
    No! Do not make Grunts drop weapons. The most interesting and unique thing about CL compared to basically every other singleplayer experience ever is that you are totally free in what weapons you decide to equip yourself with. That said, if you absolutely must change the weapons that the grunts are armed with, then make the MP5 grunts drop MP5s and the Shotty grunts drop pumpshotguns. M4A1s or M1014s would be too powerful early on, like Lobo said. As for the HD pack, the majority of users don't have it, and if the grunts were to drop weapons they would drop whatever w_ models the player had installed for that weapon (or the CS defaults) anyway, so the HD pack models wouldn't even be used except for the model in the grunt's hands, which is bolted on and thus can't be changed. But let's face it: you don't see the p_ models much anyway, because they're always shooting at you and there's a muzzle flash in the way. Then when you kill them it will use the CS w_ model and it won't matter.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LobotomyVctm avatar
    access_time 17y
    In the high definition pack the grunts are armed with m203s but in the original Half-Life they had mp5s with grenade launchers. I guess it might look a little odd if they have m203s but drop mp5s but if they drop m4s it would be waaaaay too powerful for the player. Free colts with every kill would add up quick. mp5s aren't as powerful so not as unbalanced. I love the idea of the grunts as characters with various weapons but I seem to get the impression that that's a long way off. PS: Everyone go to Fileplanet.com and rate Counter-Life so everyone else can hear about how great it is! I think at this point it's around an average rating of 4/5.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Xianghua avatar
    Xianghua Joined 17y ago
    333 points Ranked 49419th
    access_time 17y
    im using the HD pack, so the grunts are armen with M4 M203, so if i kill them and get a mp5 that isnt very correct.... maybe change the grunts to CS character and give them specific weapon... e.g: M4 grunts and MP5 grunts, M249 grunts and Scout grunts...
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    access_time 17y
    I'll have to see about that first.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • LobotomyVctm avatar
    access_time 17y
    GOODIE GOODIE GOODIE! :jump: <-- Me jumping with excitment I assume that'll be in the next version then. But question...can you code the weapon drop at this point or will that be a future project that will take some time?
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Haunter avatar
    Haunter Joined 18y ago
    access_time 17y
    If Haunter can somehow code in a cash gain for each kill (ex....+$350 for a grunt kill or whatever)
    Done that.
    then a really cool thing would be for the grunts to drop an mp5 or m3 depending on what they're armed with
    Not yet.
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

LobotomyVctm avatar