What I Thought

Yo, buddy. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending theFLASH points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Become a Bananite

Already a Bananite? Login

It's over.

After having tried the trial edition of WoW (as detailed in this thread here), I have to say, I don't really understand what is so addicting about it over the long term. I mean, sure, when you start out, it's a rush because there's so much to do and see, but after playing the game for about two weeks (yes, I did upgrade), I have to say, I no longer find it interesting. Maybe it was the repetitive nature of some of the quests (i.e. things always needed to be killed in mass quantities to get that ONE last tooth, feather, scale, patch of skin, tongue, etc) and the fact that it took so long to get ANYWHERE, but after a while, I failed to see the point and gave my account to a WoW addict friend of mine. I just don't understand how someone can go back day after day doing the same menial tasks... it was just so boring. I'm starting to think that it's because of how long I've been playing FPS based games. After 10 years, I need that quick moment of satisfaction when decapitating an enemy with a massive sniper rifle to hold me in, as well as the ability to have no time commitment... which are two things which always make me eager for playing such new games as Mirror's Edge, L4D, or COD5 (I have my shitty computer here with me at college D:) but I simply don't find the World of Warcraft universe fascinating anymore. Anyone else have a similar experience?

• 9y
    LuntiX avatar
    LuntiX avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    2,459 points Ranked 1898th
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Installation Guide Submitter Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    I felt the same. The only thing that got me interested was the Lore itself. I love fantasy stories and having such Lore and Fantasy in a game I can play whenever I want (mostly when I have nothing better to do) made me play the game more and more. I still don't care about the game enough to go on massive binges and make me collapse.
    The Last Man Standing
  • 9y
    X-raycat avatar
    X-raycat Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    119 points Ranked 24929th
    Wow is a very skill based game haha, it does take awhile to get an addiction, personally two weeks for me is not enough to get one. But once u find friends, join a guild, start pvp it gets alot more interesting, and personally the lower lvls for the noobs isint that great the better zones are when u reach higher lvls.
    Like i said it acctually does take skill because you really have to learn your class and char otherwise ur gunna be a crappy player. Wow has taken 3 years for me to understand and with the new expansion pack I have no idea what im doing still haha
    One shot, 2 kills, get some! avatar
    Mantra
    One shot, 2 kills, get some!
  • 9y
    AxelBaxel avatar
    AxelBaxel Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    5,341 points Ranked 851st
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    I played WoW for half a year, before I discovered the world of FPS games, and in that time I only got to level 35, so that should say something about how "good" I was at it. I stopped totally with WoW after i began playing FPS games, so that should tall something about how I could not get addicted by it.
    oh bai
  • 9y
    Gibez avatar
    Gibez Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    128 points Ranked 23794th
    7 medals 1 rare
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    Same here, though I did like private servers, they were a lot faster, and eventually I had like the best gear possible.

Though I only played retail for like 6 months, after that, only PVP could interest me, but since my highest level was 49, I refused paying for just some PVP every now and then.
  • 9y
    Niks avatar
    Niks Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    294 points Ranked 13240th
    Imo the fun in wow really starts at 70 (or 80 with the new expansion)
    Raiding,pvp etc. ^^

I also think you dont like because you dont like the RPG genre? or am i wrong? :3
    GEUUUAAAAAARGH avatar
    Mantra
    GEUUUAAAAAARGH
  • 9y
    Rufus avatar
    Rufus Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I do not think that anybody who didn't play it to the top level and at the top level raided, pvped etc aren't eligible to rate the game. Level 1-58, butt boring, in 58-70 the atmosphere is for the most much better and the quests are some what better. At 70, raiding, pvping and just getting those awesome epic items and mounts is a lot of fun in my opinion. 70-80, there are fucking awesome quests in northrend and the whole island has an awesome atmosphere in my opinion. We'll see about 80, I'm not there yet, most people are not. Northrend also has a good story! And let me clarify this, wow is not about leveling, that is just the boring side of it.
    Facepunch sucks avatar
    Mantra
    Facepunch sucks
  • 9y
    Wossname avatar
    Wossname Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    13,767 points Ranked 313rd
    I actually feel the same way. I played for about a year, and then got too annoyed with the grind, even at level 70 - grind for rep, grind for gear, etc. My favorite levels were the lower ones, when I would test my skill against quests and monsters higher than me. At 70, all I ever felt like I was doing were the same dailies over and over.

My enjoyment of arena and PVP also took a sharp dive when I started to play FPS games again, especially TF2. It seems the only way I could ever have an enjoyable experience in battlegrounds was to go in with my guild - playing with a pug was always a hair-ripping experience in frustration. Compare to playing TF2 with pubbies -- you can usually still enjoy yourself.

And arena was only ever a grind-fest for gear -- I hated getting whupped because of gear rather than skill. I was pretty proud I got ranked high enough in arena to get a title with only some D3 gear and still a lot of greens, but beyond that, it got old fast.

I really wish there was an arena mode where everyone chose from the same gear (a few sets per class) when you entered the ring -- this would make the playing field even gear-wise and see who really is the most skilled at their class.
      Plays a medic on TV. avatar
    Mantra
      Plays a medic on TV.
  • 9y
    GrandSpammer avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    1,435 points Ranked 3264th
    How many I-just-tried-wow-threads have you actually made?
    vrudi.com avatar
    Mantra
    vrudi.com
  • 9y
    I felt the exact same way, THE EXACT SAME.....
    sure, i loved it, once i even got addicted, but i could only play for about 2 weeks before giving up, its terrible, i cant play the same character for some reason, i just like messing around with my level one's, and when i got a level 30 character at last, i just realised, why do people find it fun?
    NOT FBI avatar
    Mantra
    NOT FBI
  • 9y
    Welshy avatar
    Welshy Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    1,700 points Ranked 2754th
    10 medals 1 rare
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Posted by GrandSpammer

I think he wants your name.
    You live 'til you die.
  • 9y
    GrandSpammer avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    1,435 points Ranked 3264th
    Posted by Welshy

Posted by GrandSpammer

I think he wants your name.

He is real good, real good... But as long as I'm around, he'll allways be second best.
    vrudi.com avatar
    Mantra
    vrudi.com
  • 9y
    Soup avatar
    Soup Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    267 points Ranked 14249th
    I know! I tried with 2 or 3 difference characters and I couldn't get past lvl 30 without nearly dieing from it being so damn boring.
    WHY U DO!? avatar
    Mantra
    WHY U DO!?
  • 9y
    theFLASH avatar
    theFLASH avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    182,371 points Ranked 16th
    15 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    Posted by Nikske!

Raiding,pvp etc. ^^

I also think you dont like because you dont like the RPG genre? or am i wrong? :3

Actually, the first game that I ever actually played was an RPG Dungeon-crawler named Diablo II.

Saying that name brings back so much nostalgia... and at the same time it brings excitement for Diablo III, I...

I just came.
    Herp Derp avatar
    Mantra
    Herp Derp
  • 9y
    Stolz avatar
    Stolz Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    902 points Ranked 5144th
    Posted by theFLASH

Posted by Nikske!

Raiding,pvp etc. ^^

Actually, the first game that I ever actually played was an RPG Dungeon-crawler named Diablo II.

Saying that name brings back so much nostalgia... and at the same time it brings excitement for Diablo III, I...

I just came.

fag

In all seriousness though, Nikske is right.
    Everyone that tries the expansion and then gives up on it is missing out.
    It only gets really fun once you start instances/pvp/raiding
    Formally "Rekon"
  • 9y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,484 points Ranked 1016th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    I only like the game for the same reasons I like all MMO's.

That's just that you can always play them with all of your friends, regardless of computer specs/skill; and can still do something with your pals.

Once my friends get bored though, then I drop it and isolate myself back to my FPShooters.

WoW is quite decent for what you're paying for, but there's other free MMO's out there that are decent enough for just chilling with your buddies. Cabal, Last Chaos, even...*sigh* Maplestory to name just a slight few.
  • 9y
    TheMustacheHero avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    1,671 points Ranked 2791st
    All MMOs are that way. Grindy quests that are basically hitting the enemy over the head with a club until it dies. Normally if you hit something with a giant axe you would at least cut a limb off or something.

P.S. to Sebhael, MapleStory is the devil, it messed up my computer so much after I uninstalled, like I couldn't even use my keyboard. It was like : "NUU DON'T UNINSTALL! What?! YOU UNINSTALLED?! TAKE THIS! *shuts off keyboard from existence* "
    Just telling it like it is.

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

theFLASH avatar
theFLASH avatar Offline
Member Joined 10y