Intel E2180 Overclock?

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Need some extra info

I'm putting together a new PC build at the moment, and my friend keeps telling me I should get an E2180 and then overclock it to about 2.66ghz. He said this would make it equal to a Core 2 Duo E7300. He also said I don't need any extra cooling, just normal stock cooling and it would still be a really low temp. So would this be a decent way to go instead of spending over double the money on a stock CPU at 2.66ghz? Also, would the E2180 at 2.66ghz bottleneck a 9800GT 512mb at all? By the way, I have no idea what's been happening with computer tech for like 4 years lol, from when I built my PC that I still have now. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Ascendancy avatar
    Ascendancy Joined 13y ago
    5,261 points Ranked 987th
    10y
    Dont get the E2*** anymore. If you can get the E5*** or E7***, it would be a better choice.
    Do i need a cvl up nomination? avatar
    Mantra
    Do i need a cvl up nomination?
    URL to post:
  • scout1011 avatar
    scout1011 Joined 12y ago
    809 points Ranked 6401st
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    10y
    Posted by Ascendancy Dont get the E2*** anymore. If you can get the E5*** or E7***, it would be a better choice.
    Why is it a better choice?
    The lands are bleak and long avatar
    Mantra
    The lands are bleak and long
    URL to post:
  • Gone avatar
    Gone Joined 13y ago
    10y
    Did you buy the parts yet? Because both the E2180 and 9800GT aren't exactly the best choices.
    URL to post:
  • scout1011 avatar
    scout1011 Joined 12y ago
    809 points Ranked 6401st
    10y
    Nope I haven't bought any parts yet. I thought the 9800GT was best value at the moment. What would be a better choice in the same price range? Is the E2180 overclocked no good?
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • retcon avatar
    retcon Joined 11y ago
    6,274 points Ranked 787th
    9 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    10y
    The only reason I would get the E2180 would be if it was like $10-20 and I needed something to run on. And yes, I've seen it at that price after like $70 rebate or something. First off, the E2180 is not even Core 2 Duo. It is a dual-core CPU, but not of the Core 2 series. So you'd be getting an old CPU, when if you spend a little bit more, you could get the E7200 for $120 [Core 2]
    I am not a security threat
    URL to post:
  • Gone avatar
    Gone Joined 13y ago
    10y
    Posted by scout1011 Nope I haven't bought any parts yet. I thought the 9800GT was best value at the moment. What would be a better choice in the same price range? Is the E2180 overclocked no good?
    Actually I underestimated how cheap the E2180 was, but if you could invest more in getting a Core2duo, that would always be the better alternative. Also, most 9800GT's are 120$, and you can get cheap 4850's for 120~130$, so that's the card to get.
    URL to post:
  • scout1011 avatar
    scout1011 Joined 12y ago
    809 points Ranked 6401st
    10y
    Ok, so what advantage does a Core2Duo give me in terms of computing power besides the fact that it's newer? Where I live the 9800GT is $50 (around US$30) cheaper than the least expensive 4850. Is the FPS increase worth the extra cash?
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • Crazypip666 avatar
    Crazypip666 username pic Joined 12y ago
    36,268 points Ranked 112th
    15 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    10y
    Posted by scout1011 Ok, so what advantage does a Core2Duo give me in terms of computing power besides the fact that it's newer? Where I live the 9800GT is $50 (around US$30) cheaper than the least expensive 4850. Is the FPS increase worth the extra cash?
    I would actually recommend looking at the E5200 instead of the E2180. It should overclock very well as well. As for the 9800GT, take a look at the prices on the 4830, and see which one is cheaper and go with that.
    BAD WOLF avatar
    Mantra
    BAD WOLF
    URL to post:
  • Ascendancy avatar
    Ascendancy Joined 13y ago
    5,261 points Ranked 987th
    10y
    Posted by scout1011
    Posted by Ascendancy Dont get the E2*** anymore. If you can get the E5*** or E7***, it would be a better choice.
    Why is it a better choice?
    Mainly because the Wolfdales have more cache and will OC better. There more power efficent and are a lot faster.
    Do i need a cvl up nomination? avatar
    Mantra
    Do i need a cvl up nomination?
    URL to post:
  • VoGon avatar
    VoGon Joined 11y ago
    9,080 points Ranked 535th
    11 medals 1 rare
    10y
    Posted by scout1011 Ok, so what advantage does a Core2Duo give me in terms of computing power besides the fact that it's newer? Where I live the 9800GT is $50 (around US$30) cheaper than the least expensive 4850. Is the FPS increase worth the extra cash?
    First, Core2Duo has 2 real processor cores, so it would do 4 threads (2 cores and 2 threads per core) 4850 is still atm THE budget VGA, its a bit more expensive but has more performance than 9800gt (no matter what some fanboys - hate that word btw - would say). Although its hard to think that ATI has conquered nvidia atm its true. If you are new to OC then I would advise you to go with a faster stock processor. My 8500 does 3.8 atm (limited by my memory that is 800 fsb) but when you OC you need extra heat dissipation. As an example I have a Thermalright 120 Extreme as processor cooler, 8500 at stock is around 30-35º C full load, oc'd goes up to 55º. This is with this cooler. Intel Stock coolers are a piece of crap. Not to mention power drain. In these days where all manufacturers try and lower power consumption I wouldn't advise you to buy a lower speed processor and then spend the double of power daily to make it work at the same speed of another processor that would cost 50 more (but would be spent one time only).
    Resistance is Useless !!!! avatar
    Mantra
    Resistance is Useless !!!!
    URL to post:
  • scout1011 avatar
    scout1011 Joined 12y ago
    809 points Ranked 6401st
    10y
    Posted by VoGon
    First, Core2Duo has 2 real processor cores, so it would do 4 threads (2 cores and 2 threads per core) 4850 is still atm THE budget VGA, its a bit more expensive but has more performance than 9800gt (no matter what some fanboys - hate that word btw - would say). Although its hard to think that ATI has conquered nvidia atm its true. If you are new to OC then I would advise you to go with a faster stock processor. My 8500 does 3.8 atm (limited by my memory that is 800 fsb) but when you OC you need extra heat dissipation. As an example I have a Thermalright 120 Extreme as processor cooler, 8500 at stock is around 30-35º C full load, oc'd goes up to 55º. This is with this cooler. Intel Stock coolers are a piece of crap. Not to mention power drain. In these days where all manufacturers try and lower power consumption I wouldn't advise you to buy a lower speed processor and then spend the double of power daily to make it work at the same speed of another processor that would cost 50 more (but would be spent one time only).
    Thanks for that info. Which Core2Duo would you recommend? Would an E5200 2.5GHZ be decent?
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • VoGon avatar
    VoGon Joined 11y ago
    11 medals 1 rare
    10y
    Well, E5200 isn't a C2D, its a Dual Processor, C2D (and correct me anyone if I'm wrong) start at E4600. Intel's processor names arent that logical and the processor name doesn't actually mean its higher on the chart. I am one of those that would advise you to spend a little more on the processor and motherboard, you wont need a costly mobo but the 2 most important things on the pc for stability are the PSU first and then the Mobo. I have seen tons of ppl spending fortunes on CPU's, VGA's and then buying the cheapest mobo and PSU available. It all depends on how you want to do it, if you would like to buy a pc to last some years (although it will get outdated in months like mine is already.. lol) then I would advise a better processor of the E8xxx family. Here the E5200 costs 80€ and the E7200 is 100. so I would say spend some more (if possible go up to the E8200 that is already 45nm technology and spends less energy and heats less for 130€ ) That I believe will be about the same price in U.S. as our government likes to screw us with big taxes. It all depends on how much you want to spend really, but remember the old motto that says that cheaper things eventually, in the end, are more expensive....
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • scout1011 avatar
    scout1011 Joined 12y ago
    809 points Ranked 6401st
    10y
    Posted by VoGon Well, E5200 isn't a C2D, its a Dual Processor, C2D (and correct me anyone if I'm wrong) start at E4600. Intel's processor names arent that logical and the processor name doesn't actually mean its higher on the chart.
    As far as I can tell the E5200 is a Core2Duo, well it's fully branded that way. I will probably get the E5200 and o/c it, I can't really afford too much more than that lol.
    Mantra
    URL to post:
  • VoGon avatar
    VoGon Joined 11y ago
    11 medals 1 rare
    10y
    My mistake then mate, as on the website I saw it stated Pentium D. I dont really know all of them by heart lol
    Mantra
    URL to post:

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Author

scout1011 avatar