Capping FPS: Discussion

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Greetings! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending zialox points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

On the subject of capping Frames Per Second I've heard basically two schools of thought; One, that you should cap your FPS at around 100 and two: that you should cap FPS at your screen's refresh rate. Because Frames Per Second is the amount of frames displayed on your monitor per second, it would seem that if your monitor had a refresh rate of say, 60 than any FPS over 60 would be discarded. So one argument would be to cap your FPS at 1 above your monitor refresh rate so your FPS would be consistent at your refresh rate. On the other hand having a high FPS improves latency and other lag, so it could be better just to always have the highest FPS possible and not limit it to your refresh rate. So basically it's a question of setting your FPS cap to your monitor's refresh rate or not setting a cap at all. Does anyone else have any wisdom to shed on the matter?

• 9y
    I would set it to your monitors refresh rate, The difference in terms of latency between 60 (which is the lowest refresh rate) and say... 300 (which is the default css cap) is negligible.

I set mine to 60 and it usually stays constant at 60 unless I'm in a really huge map on like a 64 player server.

Having your fps uncapped (0) will mean you are wasting valuable resources on your CPU and GPU to generate those frames you don't actually need so your performance may actually be lower.
    asdasdasd
  • 9y
    Mxmlln avatar
    Mxmlln Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    39,663 points Ranked 101st
    Also, adding the aerial's post, the optimal fps in terms of smoothness when playing a game is 126.
    You cap it at 126, and then the actual FPS will be 125.

I do this with every single source game, and every other game that gives me the option, via a config or console commands. It to me just feels the smoothest if you are getting 125 fps constant, anything over that is just wasting GPU and CPU resources, just as aerial said.

So basically if you can, cap it at 126.
    However, I'm going to go and play some CSS now and cap my FPS at my refresh rate and see how that is.

But, don't forget the more CONSTANT frames you have the smoother your game will be regardless of your refresh rate, that's why I choose 126.
    Inactive
  • 9y
    Crazypip666 avatar
    Crazypip666 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    36,268 points Ranked 111st
    15 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    It depends on the game, but CS:S for instance sends a maximum amount of 100 data packets out per second. The closer to 100 packets per second you are, the better your registration. You only send out packets for frames you render, so if you cap your fps at your screens refresh rate, you won't get as good registration as possible. That said, you should still cap your fps at something you can maintain, because the way your mouse responds in game varies with how many fps you are getting, so running at a constant fps will give the game a much more consistent feel.
    BAD WOLF avatar
    Mantra
    BAD WOLF
  • 9y
    zialox avatar
    zialox Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    190 points Ranked 18423rd
    So basically I'm getting that you should cap your FPS at 101 so it is consistently at 100 FPS which is the optimal rate for CS:S if you can get 100, and if you can't the next best thing is having it at your screen's refresh rate, which is not optimal but at least consistent.
    Bananite
  • 9y
    Crazypip666 avatar
    Crazypip666 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    36,268 points Ranked 111st
    15 medals 1 rare
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 25,000 Points Medal icon
    Posted by zialox

So basically I'm getting that you should cap your FPS at 101 so it is consistently at 100 FPS which is the optimal rate for CS:S if you can get 100, and if you can't the next best thing is having it at your screen's refresh rate, which is not optimal but at least consistent.

The next best thing is finding a frame rate you can hold consistently and capping it at that. The whole cap your frame rate at your screens refresh rate comes from people not understanding how the netcode works and thinking there is no reason to get more frames per second than your monitor can display.
    BAD WOLF avatar
    Mantra
    BAD WOLF

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

zialox avatar