Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Unknown command.

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

Hello. I use HLamp and love it (Now's thats said). I have a problem though. When trying to announce a song I get HLamp_Announce : Unknown Command in the console. I have the constant display activated and it shows correct song, time and date. The HLamp 1.30 is showing in General Purpose[/> and I have configured it. I tried to reinstall HLamp, but no cigar. Winamp was not running when I extracted the file. It worked before, but I believe the issue started when I deleted hlamp.cfg from the cstrike folder. May this be correct?

Replies

• PrinsFoo avatar
    PrinsFoo Joined 17y ago
    345 points Ranked 49216th
    access_time 17y
    I'll try to explain this as best I can. The .dll you put in the winamp folder makes a HLamp.cfg in your mod's folder... the game you play. When you ask the game to tell everyone what song you are listening to, it goes to the file (execs it in other words) and looks up what it is listed to do if you call for hlamp_announce. You should not need to exec HLamp.cfg ever because it should be infront of the display command in the +commandmenu (that commandmenu.txt you droped in your c-strike/ tfc/ dod folder if you use those mods) or using root_do command (I'll get to this in a second) unless for some awful reason you messed with these. What you do have to exec is HLampMenu.cfg. If you remember from instilation, you were sposed to put HLampMenu.cfg, HLampMenu2.cfg and HLampMenu3.cfg in your sierra/half-life/valve folder or in whatever mod you play in (if you put it in valve it works in all mods, handy that way). You should have the console if you press the ~ key on your keyboard. If not right click on the icon shortcut to your mod of choice and add -console to the target line. While in game bring down the console and type exec HLampMenu.cfg and then type bind KEY root_do where KEY is a key on your keyboard that you aren't using (avoid the key pad keys because they have special names that get confusing, and I dont want to go into it =P) so for instance bind z root_do. Now when you press z it will pop up a little menu in the upper left. This is handy only if you dont have +commandmenu and is designed for if you dont play with mods that have that option (natural selection, wasteland, firearms, ect). You dont need the root_do command if you are using TFC, C-Strike, or DOD and its just eaiser to use the +commandmenu in that case (btw, you can bind a key to +commandmenu if you dont have one already bound using the method above). So only if you use a mod other than c-strike, tfc, or day of defeat do you need the autoexec file. If you dont need it, dont try to make one, but here is how to do it. Make a autoexec.txt file using notepad or wordpad or whatever you have handy. In it type exec HLampMenu.cfg and save it. Rename the .txt extention to instead be .cfg so the file should now be called autoexec.cfg. Now place it in your mod's folder (wasteland, firearms, whatever) Now whenever you join a game it will automagicly type exec hlampmenu.cfg in the console for you! Autoexec is just something to make life easier, and is in no way required. I hope this nuked all your questions but I've got a feeling I'm going to get a writeback :) so umm... write back?
    Leader of the lemmings! avatar
    Mantra
    Leader of the lemmings!
    URL to post:
  • Caster avatar
    Caster Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    A HLamp.cfg is generated when you first install the script. When you've installed it simply open your autoexec.cfg and paste the line exec HLamp.cfg in it. The autoexec.cfg is (as explained by Foo) executed each time Half-Life is opened and everything within it, including the exec HLamp.cfg.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    19 medals 4 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 100 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Tutorials Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 Skins Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    access_time 17y
    Foo i need an exec HLamp.cfg how do i get one my hlamp works because u helped me fix it but the announcements and stuff dont.
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • PrinsFoo avatar
    PrinsFoo Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Woohoo! So its working? This is good news cuz I've been stumped on this problem for awhile. :)
    Mantra
    Leader of the lemmings!
    URL to post:
  • Caster avatar
    Caster Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Thanks for the help Foo. When you mentioned exec HLamp.cfg my machinery started to swirl. I had no exec HLamp.cfg in my autoexec. Probably because of a reinstall where I used an older autoexec. Thanks!
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • PrinsFoo avatar
    PrinsFoo Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Allright, autoexec.cfg is a little file that is executed every time you enter halflife so you dont have to type exec HLampMenu.cfg every time. You make it by making a autoexec.txt (a textpad file) put exec HLampMenu.cfg, and then change the .txt extention to .cfg. And pssst... we were talking about HLamp.cfg, not HLampMenu.cfg =P They are completly seperate things pretty much.
    Mantra
    Leader of the lemmings!
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 17y
    and you were talkin bout the exec HLamp.cfg which requires an autoexec.cfg so i wasnt rambling on about nothing :P
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 17y
    i no but in the readme for HLamp under the text menu folder it says To install the text menu, do the following: 1. Close Half-Life 2. Copy HLampMenu.cfg, HLampMenu2.cfg, and HLampMenu3.cfg to your mod's directory (e.g. C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\cstrike) 3. Add this line to your autoexec.cfg in your mod's directory--create it if it doesn't exist already. exec HLampMenu.cfg 4. Run Half-Life and bind a key to "root_do". For example, in the console do "bind j root_do" . 5. Press the key you bound to "root_do" and you'll see the menu in the top-left corner of the screen. Use the top row of number keys to navigate the menu. but i dont have an autoexec.cfg therefore i cannot make an exec HLamp.cfg
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • PrinsFoo avatar
    PrinsFoo Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Ummmm cross? What are you refering to? We never said a thing about autoexec.cfg here. And watch the profanity, I only help those who help themselves, and dont get angry at nothingness.
    Mantra
    Leader of the lemmings!
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 17y
    i dont have a autoexec.cfg in counterstrike and ****ed if i know how to make one so how am i supposed to have a exec HLampMenu.cfg
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • PrinsFoo avatar
    PrinsFoo Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    I think that would be a little bit of overkill. What does it say if you put in exec HLamp.cfg; HLamp_AnnounceDetails? If you have modified your commandmenu.txt, make sure it exec's HLamp.cfg before the HLamp_Announce.
    Mantra
    Leader of the lemmings!
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 17y
    Doh. Missed that. Perhaps re-install CS.
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Caster avatar
    Caster Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    I tried to reinstall HLamp, but no cigar
    :(
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Guest avatar
    Guest Joined 14y ago
    access_time 17y
    No clue... Try reinstalling stuff. That's my best guess.
    Bot Account
    URL to post:
  • Caster avatar
    Caster Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    Someone have to know this. I've emailed the Disk, but he hasn't replied.
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • Caster avatar
    Caster Joined 17y ago
    access_time 17y
    It's like the hlamp.cfg won't update. When I announce a song or the time it says the same excact thing as it has for the last couple of days.
    Bananite
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Caster avatar
Caster Joined 17y ago