Trashing

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Yo, buddy. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending trogdor99 points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

On the subject of trashing.

I have a serious question here. What the hell is it with people and first skins? This is the WiP version of a skin of mine that just got trashed. http://www.fpsbanana.com/studios/wips/view/19052 It got fairly good reviews, and two spam disaprovals. I thought it was fairly good for a first skin. But my question is this: Most first skins get low reviews and that's it, they sit on the low end of the Highest Rated page. In my opinion, mine was better than what usually is put as a first skin: A simple overlay of camo, or changing the color, or brightening/darkening the skin. Some are completely atrocious. Yet they don't get trashed. But the one skin that looks like it may have had some time put into it gets trashed. And some of the reviews I got just floored me. It seems people these days look at your skin, and if its: - Not a custom model - Doesn't have custom animations - Doesn't have custom sounds (Mine did) - Not from-scratch skin - Not completely and utterly perfect They just rate it in the 2's, disaprove of it, and watch it get trashed. Why? This doesn't encourage people to try and get better, it just pisses them off. I WILL try at it again, but I know most people would just give up. So, what is it with people and first skins? Comments, etc. Serious, please.

• 9y
    SGT_kick_ur_ass avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    4,992 points Ranked 929th
    It seems people these days look at your skin, and if its:
    - Not a custom model
    - Doesn't have custom animations
    - Doesn't have custom sounds (Mine did)
    - Not from-scratch skin
    - Not completely and utterly perfect

That's exactly how it's rated now-a-days.. people want perfection, and usually simple recolors will end up getting trashed.

Sort of immature if you ask me... but then again, look at the members we have.
    Turbosmooth dat shit. avatar
    Mantra
    Turbosmooth dat shit.
  • 9y
    Cow Muffins avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    957 points Ranked 4903rd
    Nobody wants to use skins that they could make themselves. Simple.
    Anybody can download GIMP and VTFEdit and go make the same exact skin you created.
    Prepare for sarcasm
  • 9y
    YellowJello avatar
    YellowJello avatar Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    101,136 points Ranked 31st
    29 medals 2 legendary 6 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Gamefiles Medal icon
    It was trashed because everyone has seen stuff like that. This community has been around long enough to be able to say that they need better skins. Simple recolors don't cut it anymore. All I can say is learn to make actual skins and go beyond just putting colors on guns.
    Jiggle Jiggle avatar
    Mantra
    Jiggle Jiggle
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Keep trying, you can only get better. It's sad, members will not encorage you to better yourself.
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    WaXyDeAd avatar
    WaXyDeAd Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    7,549 points Ranked 583rd
    9 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    Yea just keep going i just finished my first skin and its a simple camo'ed deagle that i realy like and use when i play but im not sure what the result will be if i post it up here
    The Waxy one  avatar
    Mantra
    The Waxy one
  • 9y
    trogdor99 avatar
    trogdor99 Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    140 points Ranked 22690th
    Posted by Cow Muffins

Anybody can download GIMP and VTFEdit and go make the same exact skin you created.

That's not my point.
    My point is that first skins look (in the long run) exactly as Modderfreak, Millenia, or any pro skinners do.
    The difference? They custom do theirs on custom models.
    But if you look at the guns, people always say (But ALWAYS to the new guys) that it's been done before.
    What hasn't? There's hundreds of color overlays, camo overlays, brightening, darkening...what HASN'T been done?
    in ur gamez, burninating ur pl
  • 9y
    Cow Muffins avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    957 points Ranked 4903rd
    Posted by trogdor99

Posted by Cow Muffins

That's not my point.
    My point is that first skins look (in the long run) exactly as Modderfreak, Millenia, or any pro skinners do.
    But if you look at the guns, people always say (But ALWAYS to the new guys) that it's been done before.
    What hasn't? There's hundreds of color overlays, camo overlays, brightening, darkening...what HASN'T been done?

New skins look like crap, and I'm sure yours did. We don't need crap that nobody will download and use flooding the site.
    Prepare for sarcasm
  • 9y
    unknown_all avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by YellowJello

It was trashed because everyone has seen stuff like that. This community has been around long enough to be able to say that they need better skins. Simple recolors don't cut it anymore. All I can say is learn to make actual skins and go beyond just putting colors on guns.

It's a WiP for a reason. They should tell him how to improve it, not tell him it's crap and attempt to trash it.

People don't improve unless they have an incentive too, and trashing all their work whilst they are learning will not give them that initial incentive.
  • 9y
    Ben-Hur avatar
    Ben-Hur avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    173 points Ranked 19664th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Unlocked Treehouse VIP clearance Medal icon
    All I can say is that you're wasting your time bringing this to people's attention on the forums. The people who usually pull crap like this aren't forum regulars.

However, a Report goes farther because it makes your problem obvious to those who can fix it.
    Back From the Dead
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Ben-Hur

All I can say is that you're wasting your time bringing this to people's attention on the forums. The people who usually pull crap like this aren't forum regulars.

However, a Report goes farther because it makes your problem obvious to those who can fix it.

50% true.
    The people who do that can be regular critcs, but they are not on the forum.
    There are two FPSB's, One like to spam the forums and make few skins or maps.
    The other prefer to make maps or skins and stay away from the forums.

But I am sure you we're aware of that allready.

Also alot of forum poster make sprays, and about 390 of my 420 posts is in my studio's chat.

All I can say to you my freind(trogdor), that pleople are rude mean and immature on this site, and will happly trash your skin.

@Cow muffins

"New skins look like crap, and I'm sure yours did. We don't need crap that nobody will download and use flooding the site" It was a WiP, It won't flood the site, becasue bad rated skins often go to the last page, and since when do you speak with the whole community and FPS players.

Agian this proves my point about rudness, and immaturity.
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    Ben-Hur avatar
    Ben-Hur avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by madodaz

Posted by Ben-Hur

50% true.

Notice how I bolded and underlined "usually". Besides, it's not 50% true to someone who has only been here for 2 months.
    Back From the Dead
  • 9y
    Monro avatar
    Monro avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,310 points Ranked 3604th
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    Posted by SGT_kick_ur_ass

That's exactly how it's rated now-a-days.. people want perfection, and usually simple recolors will end up getting trashed.

Quite right.

My point being, personally I don't even want to see any "first skin" skins here if there is a 1000 times better skinned model available.

And yes, there still is unwanted crap all over this site that's a complete waste of space, but some one will start disapproving them one by one, they will most likely get CSA perma-gagged.
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Ben-Hur

Posted by madodaz

Posted by Ben-Hur

50% true.

Notice how I bolded and underlined "usually". Besides, it's not 50% true to someone who has only been here for 2 months.

I have lurking as a guest for 2 years. I downloaded for my clans old GG server. We used our clan account and i notced thank you very much.
    Maps are normaly posted on by no forum people, but skins and sprays have tons of people
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    unknown_all avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Monro

Posted by SGT_kick_ur_ass

Quite right.

My point being, personally I don't even want to see any "first skin" skins here if there is a 1000 times better skinned model available.

And yes, there still is unwanted crap all over this site that's a complete waste of space, but some one will start disapproving them one by one, they will most likely get a CSA perma-gag

Just to make sure you know that if you reskin one of the standard weapons in CSS you are till texturing a model.

Also, why would someone get a CSA permagag for disapproving unwanted crap?

Your post makes no sense.
  • 9y
    El Tigre avatar
    El Tigre Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    14,330 points Ranked 304th
    I think first skins and first models should keep it to wips and such , becuas when every body did the same it will end in a spam party
    Mantra
    "Gotta catch 'em all!"
  • 9y
    trogdor99 avatar
    trogdor99 Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    140 points Ranked 22690th
    Posted by Cow Muffins

Posted by trogdor99

Posted by Cow Muffins

That's not my point.

New skins look like crap, and I'm sure yours did. We don't need crap that nobody will download and use flooding the site.

I posted the WiP version in the opening post. The WiP is pretty much EXACTLY as the final product came out. Compared to usual first skins, I have to say it isn't too shabby.

And @ madodaz, I know people are immature and stuff, if its not by a well-known person, its not worth their time to even say "Wait a tic...thats actually not half bad."
    in ur gamez, burninating ur pl
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y

Pretty much right. I am sure if I spam the forums like ber-hur for three years with out subbmitting a map, or skin HECK not even a spray. My first map will have "H3y j00 4r3 a gr8 m4pp3r". by other known forum spammers.Don't beet your self up about it, I can say atleast 30 retared members of the top of my head.
    I look at my maps, and not one person have i seem on the forums. You posted in the forum about someting in the subbmision part, there not the same thing, Alot of members simply post spam, I remeber someone who has been a member for years, 10,000 posts. with only 4 maps and no skins.
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    Monro avatar
    Monro avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,310 points Ranked 3604th
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    Posted by Eminence

Just to make sure you know that if you reskin one of the standard weapons in CSS you are till texturing a model.

Also, why would someone get a CSA permagag for disapproving unwanted crap?

Your post makes no sense.

I stand corrected, custom models...

And disapproving crap one by one would be CSA abuse as far as I know.
  • 9y
    modderfreak avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    232,564 points Ranked 13th
    3 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • Received thanks 5 times Medal icon
    • Reached 10 subscribers Medal icon
    Just about the sounds; in my opinion they do nothing. Everybody likes different sounds and I made the experience that a lot of beginners combine their recolours with the best sounds they can find just to get better ratings. That's why I - if I include new sounds at all - never use them as assessment criteria.
    Respect is everything. avatar
    Mantra
    Respect is everything.
  • 9y
    xYISKAx avatar
    xYISKAx Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    3,130 points Ranked 1467th
    Actually, I like seeing people's first skins. It's nice to be ale to tell them improvements and how to get better at skinning Teh Snake ad Millenia are good, but what happens when they leave? then all you bitches who try and trash new peoples skins and tell them to GTFO, you don't get any new skins and have to lear to do it yourself, which in turn, you become the newbie you thrashed. Jesus grow a heart you pricks.
    S'been a long time... avatar
    Mantra
    S'been a long time...
  • 9y
    Ben-Hur avatar
    Ben-Hur avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Posted by madodaz

Pretty much right. I am sure if I spam the forums like ber-hur for three years with out subbmitting a map, or skin HECK not even a spray. My first map will have "H3y j00 4r3 a gr8 m4pp3r". by other known forum spammers.Don't beet your self up about it, I can say atleast 30 retared members of the top of my head.
    I look at my maps, and not one person have i seem on the forums. You posted in the forum about someting in the subbmision part, there not the same thing, Alot of members simply post spam, I remeber someone who has been a member for years, 10,000 posts. with only 4 maps and no skins.

I'd take you seriously if any of that made sense, and had a basis in absolute fact. I was just telling him it's a waste of time to complain about this on the forums, but you want to talk about pigs and you want to talk about lipstick. Fine by me, by you're a babbling moron if that's your goal.
    Back From the Dead

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

trogdor99 avatar
trogdor99 Offline
Member Joined 10y