Same FPS in Crysis and Warhead?

Attention Gamer! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending d4rth hijack points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Sound fun?

Already a Bananite? Login

Why the f*ck do I get the same fps in Warhead and Crysis? Isn't it optimized?

So yeah, I was so exited after getting Warhead over steam the last week. Downloaded, started, after a look in the option I wondered why all options are at the "Gamer/High" setting, because in Crysis everything is set "Very High" by default. I changed them to "Enthusiast/Very High." So I started a new game, after the awesome intro I watched what my fps were. I got around 20 fps. That goes through the whole game, with that average. On the last level it gets even worse. The weird thing is that I get around 20 fps with the same settings in Crysis and everywhere they I look everyone says they got like 10-20 fps more then in Crysis. It's really pisses me off, because Warhead even runs worse then Crysis does. Where is that damn optimization? I mean even my friend got the same fps with a Radeon 3850 (256 MB VRAM)!? Here are my spec: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (4x2,4 GHz) GeForce 8800 GTX 4 GB RAM Vista Ult. 32 Bit Hope someone could explain that to me...

• 9y
    KniteWulf avatar
    KniteWulf avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    109 points Ranked 26322nd
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    Does it look better than Crysis on Very High? If it does, there's your answer.
    Chief of Nostalgia avatar
    Mantra
    Chief of Nostalgia
  • 9y
    d4rth hijack avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    16,768 points Ranked 252nd
    Posted by KniteWulf

Does it look better than Crysis on Very High? If it does, there's your answer.

Well it doesn't really, just a few new textures for the explosions.
    Up on Melancholy Hill...
  • 9y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    3,743 points Ranked 1217th
    Strange, i actually never played Crysis on Very high, since i got XP.
    But in warhead it have all settings to enthusiast and it runs pretty smooth. Some times even better the High in Crysis....
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 9y
    codybiroth avatar
    codybiroth Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    5,095 points Ranked 904th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    The beginning is very demanding.
    Destroy What Destroys You. avatar
    Mantra
    Destroy What Destroys You.
  • 9y
    drkgeek avatar
    drkgeek Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    773 points Ranked 5884th
    In my opinion it didn't look as good, AND didn't run as well as the original Crysis.
    Wannabe Skinner avatar
    Mantra
    Wannabe Skinner
  • 9y
    DeadEcho avatar
    DeadEcho Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    396 points Ranked 10457th
    I personally don't know how you could see that it doesn't run better. Run through more of the missions before you make your verdict.

In the original Crysis I ran the game at all high setting on 1440x900 with 2x AA and got around 25-35 FPS. In Crysis:Warhead I play the game at all Very High(Enthusiast) setting on 1440x900 and get the exact same FPS, 25-35.

Just letting you know that the game does run better than the original.
    The echo is dead avatar
    Mantra
    The echo is dead
  • 9y
    Mxmlln avatar
    Mxmlln Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    39,663 points Ranked 103rd
    Add -DX9 as a target in the shortcut icon you use to start up the game.
    Then use Enthusiast, it will give you the best graphics +10-20 extra fps.
    You just wont get the DX10 effects, which are crap anyway.
    Inactive
  • 9y
    Jaredt771 avatar
    Jaredt771 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by drkgeek

In my opinion it didn't look as good, AND didn't run as well as the original Crysis.

Well I liked the new skins alot, and it did look a little better(explosions and ice effects), but the original crysis runs so much better for me. I run very high settings(1440x900 2x AA) and get 22-28 fps, in Warhead I try the same and get 12-17 fps, makes no sense.

@ Biohazard - No the effects are not crap. Today I was playing the tank level in crysis(Onslaught) and I was noticing how amazing the smoke looked when it was passing through the trees from a blown up AA tank 100 meters away. The wind actually had an effect. I could also see the sun rays shining through the trees, and through the water as well. The DX10 effects really make the game for me to be honest, I love them. People say that they suck because they don't have a computer that can even run it in DX10(Not saying you don't).
    The Marked One
  • 9y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,484 points Ranked 1016th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    Posted by Bi0h4z4rd

Add -DX9 as a target in the shortcut icon you use to start up the game.
    Then use Enthusiast, it will give you the best graphics +10-20 extra fps.
    You just wont get the DX10 effects, which are crap anyway.

Generally I'd agree with you about DX10, but Crysis and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are two series that have actually used DX10 in a decent manner. The performance hit is fucking ridiculous though.
  • 9y
    Rudolph! avatar
    Rudolph! Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    696 points Ranked 6465th
    Posted by Fallen_Angel

I personally don't know how you could see that it doesn't run better. Run through more of the missions before you make your verdict.

In the original Crysis I ran the game at all high setting on 1440x900 with 2x AA and got around 25-35 FPS. In Crysis:Warhead I play the game at all Very High(Enthusiast) setting on 1440x900 and get the exact same FPS, 25-35.

1. Read the post, he's played the whole game already.
    2. Well, for what I've read on your review about FPS, you say you played on HIGH 1440X900 WITH 2x AA.. but seems like you played Warhead without X2AA? I may be wrong though.
    Bulimia, twice the taste, no c avatar
    Mantra
    Bulimia, twice the taste, no c
  • 9y
    DeadEcho avatar
    DeadEcho Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    396 points Ranked 10457th
    Posted by Rodolfman

Posted by Fallen_Angel

1. Read the post, he's played the whole game already.
    2. Well, for what I've read on your review about FPS, you say you played on HIGH 1440X900 WITH 2x AA.. but seems like you played Warhead without X2AA? I may be wrong though.

Yes thank you for mentioning but I do play with now 4xAA from the nVidia control panel where as I played with just 2xAA from the in game menu of the original crysis. I find that the in game AA causes my shadows to glitch a lot so I chose to go with the nVidia AA this time.
    The echo is dead avatar
    Mantra
    The echo is dead
  • 9y
    XSS3 avatar
    XSS3 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    83,756 points Ranked 44th
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (4x2,4 GHz)
    GeForce 8800 GTX
    4 GB RAM
    Vista Ult. 32 Bit

I just tested this with my 'ole Q6600, 8.8KGTX kit, with 3GB of RAM, and it ran (at 1920x1200) on Enthusiast settings, with no antialiasing at around 35-50 FPS consistently, (when large explosions weren't going off nearby).

I'd suggest checking your RAM quality, and disabling any motherboard "CPU power save/rest" mode.

Edit: My Q6 is running at 3.8GHz, though, that will make a difference.
    I know security inside and out avatar
    Mantra
    I know security inside and out
  • 9y
    d4rth hijack avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by XSS3

GeForce 8800 GTX
    4 GB RAM
    Vista Ult. 32 Bit

I just tested this with my 'ole Q6600, 8.8KGTX kit, with 3GB of RAM, and it ran (at 1920x1200) on Enthusiast settings, with no antialiasing at around 35-50 FPS consistently, (when large explosions weren't going off nearby).

I'd suggest checking your RAM quality, and disabling any motherboard "CPU power save/rest" mode.

What are you OS are you using? Also where do I look for the RAM quality?
    Up on Melancholy Hill...
  • 9y
    ATI boi avatar
    ATI boi Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    189 points Ranked 18321st
    My game ran great in the jungle environment, on medium/high. But as soon as I got to the ice tundra area my game turned into a slideshow. I now run it on all low with textures on high.

e6600 stock, stock 8800GTS 640MB, 4GB RAM, x32 Vista Ultimate, 1680x1050.
    the boi is gone from FPSB
  • 9y
    Gone avatar
    Gone Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by XSS3

GeForce 8800 GTX
    4 GB RAM
    Vista Ult. 32 Bit

Water cooling?

Jeez, I have a SSC GTX 280 and a stock 3ghz E8400, and I only ran the original Crysis at 1920x1200 very high 28~30 fps. How well did you run the original?
  • 9y
    M_oo_P avatar
    M_oo_P Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    I got vista ultimate 64 bit and im fine 3.40 dual core 4 gigs of ram 8800GT XXX
    Join the MooP GrouP! avatar
    Mantra
    Join the MooP GrouP!
  • 9y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    3,743 points Ranked 1217th
    Since you are running 32 bit OS, which means you only get to use about 2.7Gb or your ram.
    So maybe you get data loss because the OS does not know what to do with the ram that you are limited to use because of the OS.

In other words when i ran 32-bit with 3Gb ram, i had strange crashes because of memory error etc.
    Because only 2.7Gb of the 3Gb ram was visible by the OS.
    A quick change to 64-bit and no problems so far....
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 9y
    XSS3 avatar
    XSS3 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    83,756 points Ranked 44th
    Posted by d4rth hijack

Posted by XSS3

GeForce 8800 GTX
    4 GB RAM
    Vista Ult. 32 Bit

What are you OS are you using? Also where do I look for the RAM quality?

It tested it using XP. As for RAM quality, check the timings, and just try to google around to see if anyone's complaining about poor performance using it.

@Moses: Of course water cooled. :) I don't like noisy, and ineffective cooling solutions as a rule.

I never tried the original Crysis on this rig. I ran it in my SLI'd GTX rig, without AA and it would get rates at about 35 FPS, although it would dip under thirty for extended periods of time (explosions, many enemies, super speed mode). Note, I turned down shader quality to "high" as I had some issues with some kind of software color correction when it was on high. I'd say they definitively optimized this sequal.
    I know security inside and out avatar
    Mantra
    I know security inside and out
  • 9y
    ircmaster avatar
    ircmaster avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    609 points Ranked 7229th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    For me, it ran amazing. It ran much better than Crysis. I had to use custom configs in order to make Crysis run good. Now the only custom config I have for Warhead is to make it look even more high quality. I also customized my settings so it only looks good where it should. And with an 8600GT and a Core 2 Duo it runs amazing sometimes. I rarely get slowdowns (20 and below).
    Not the master of IRC
  • 9y
    flupusbarbosa avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    1,297 points Ranked 3609th
    Posted by codybiroth

The beginning is very demanding.

yea it is
    after that cutscene everything seemed to run smoother in the game
    I'll kill you 3 times before y avatar
    Mantra
    I'll kill you 3 times before y
  • 9y
    d4rth hijack avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by XSS3
    As for RAM quality, check the timings, and just try to google around to see if anyone's complaining about poor performance using it.

How? What are the timings of the RAM and WHERE do I look for it. Besides is there a big difference between 32-Bit and 64-Bit in Crysis/Warhead. Because I'm going to install 64-Bit Ultimate this friday or saturday, so I just want to know!?

Oh and should I overclock my CPU or GPU?
    Up on Melancholy Hill...
  • 9y
    Gone avatar
    Gone Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by d4rth hijack

Posted by XSS3
    As for RAM quality, check the timings, and just try to google around to see if anyone's complaining about poor performance using it.

How? What are the timings of the RAM and WHERE do I look for it. Besides is there a big difference between 32-Bit and 64-Bit in Crysis/Warhead. Because I'm going to install 64-Bit Ultimate this friday or saturday, so I just want to know!?

Oh and should I overclock my CPU or GPU?

Well with 4gb of ram and a 8800GTX, you're only using 2,816 megs of all your ram on 32-bit Vista. With 64-bit, you can use all of it. Overclocking is always a good thing, if you know how to do it, and if your cooling can cope with it.

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

d4rth hijack avatar
Member Joined 9y

d4rth hijack