We need to talk FPSB...

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

SEX! Ok, we got your attention. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Intelevend points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

So I have noticed we have about 30 what they call beginner tutorials in the CS:S tutorial section. Now in my opinion this is a waste of time. Is it really necessary to keep making these tutorials? Do people just make them to make a tutorial? or do they belive they are really helping people? Because if thats the case there are tons of untouched topics in CS:S mapping. I feel like people just write "basics" tutorials to add to their point count. Now some of you will say im a hypocrite because i myself have a "basic" CS:S tutorial but thats different mine was the first one ever posted :). So fpsb discuss what do you think about this?

• 9y
    Hitman407 avatar
    Hitman407 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    28,594 points Ranked 149th
    I agree, there are too many of them out there, but most of them are pointless. They are either unoriginal or copied from another tutorial, but added pretty colours with HTML coding (thus obviously making it a much better tutorial -.-)

Something does need to be sorted out, because new mappers may be confused reading different tutorials, as they may mix up different techniques that each individual mapper does, which could cause problems depending on what they do.

I remember reading through your tutorial a few months after it was posted, a very helpful one at that.

However, some basics tutorials cover some things others do not. For example, some may tell you how to make a simple DE map, whilst others tell you how to make a DM/SURF/FY etc map.

I recommend that someone makes a new "basics" tutorial which wipes the floor with the others, and the others should be moved or removed from the section due to duplications and/or inappropriateness.
    Lick my Leaf avatar
    Mantra
    Lick my Leaf
  • 9y
    What about combining all basic tutorials into one great mapping ultimate guide for anyone, with hellofalot of text and stuff? ^^
    Sponsored By Destiny
  • 9y
    Intelevend avatar
    Intelevend Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    4,338 points Ranked 1054th
    The thing is i think this is alredy done.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/3368

that should cover it all.
    Buy me ripe! paying 4k PM ME!! avatar
    Mantra
    Buy me ripe! paying 4k PM ME!!
  • 9y
    Swifty avatar
    Swifty avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    3,526 points Ranked 1311st
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    We need more than one tutorial, it would look to bare if we had one per section, plus what if there are people who don't really know what the tutorial name really means and they keep looking for the particular section they need help on,

Swifter than you! avatar
    Mantra
    Swifter than you!
  • 9y
    Intelevend avatar
    Intelevend Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    Posted by Swifty

We need more than one tutorial, it would look to bare if we had one per section, plus what if there are people who don't really know what the tutorial name really means and they keep looking for the particular section they need help on,

So we should flood the site with useless tutorials in order to make the site "look" useful??
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Hunterkiller. avatar
    Hunterkiller. avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    100,341 points Ranked 32nd
    16 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    A lot of tutorials can be similar, but presented in a different way, or with a slightly different method.

Even if one person writes a tutorial in the same way as someone else with the same technique, who is to say which should be kept?

The original one, or the one that is easier to read?

These are just some of the problems with removing tutorials.

There are some tutorials that are similar, but not too many. I don't see that it's much of a problem.
    What would nemmy do? avatar
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Agreed. we have 4 tuts for adding custom decals. c'mon one is ok
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    ResidentEvil91 avatar
    ResidentEvil91 avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    953 points Ranked 4921st
    7 medals 1 rare
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • 2 years a member Medal icon
    My opinion: I think its good if there is lots of tutorials, but if it is just exact copy of another tutorial, its not good thing.

Its good to find many different ways to make it than only one.
    Dont say it.. We know it alrea avatar
    Mantra
    Dont say it.. We know it alrea
  • 9y
    unknown_all avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Why not have multiple tutorials explaining the same thing, if they are explained in different ways or different methods? All people learn and teach things in different ways, some people click with some ways of teaching, others click with others.

In short, having multiple tutorials on the same thing can be better for the readers of them. The only reason you don't understand is because you probably already know how to do it, and I bet, if you were to have your way and just keep the one tutorial; that it would suit your learning style and not the learning style of many others.
  • 9y
    Swifty avatar
    Swifty avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    3,526 points Ranked 1311st
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Posted by Intelevend

Posted by Swifty

So we should flood the site with useless tutorials in order to make the site "look" useful??

Your avoiding my whole answer, people are aloud to post their Tutorials you don't have the power to say their work is shit if you feel its use-less disapprove it and give a reason why.
    Swifter than you! avatar
    Mantra
    Swifter than you!
  • 9y
    Tattered avatar
    Tattered avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    21,448 points Ranked 200th
    Useless things make useful things look better. Duh.
    Capitalist Monster avatar
    Mantra
    Capitalist Monster
  • 9y
    Amen avatar
    Amen avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    455 points Ranked 9436th
    16 medals 2 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    • Became a Game Pioneer Medal icon
    • Jellyfish Short Story Entrant Medal icon
    This website is community based, so the community can posts whatever kind of tutorial they want.
    Everyone has their own way of doing things, so chances are each tutorial will be different.
    Eater of Bananas avatar
    Mantra
    Eater of Bananas
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Eminence

Why not have multiple tutorials explaining the same thing, if they are explained in different ways or different methods? All people learn and teach things in different ways, some people click with some ways of teaching, others click with others.

In short, having multiple tutorials on the same thing can be better for the readers of them. The only reason you don't understand is because you probably already know how to do it, and I bet, if you were to have your way and just keep the one tutorial; that it would suit your learning style and not the learning style of many others.

we shouldn't need a hundred tus for one job. wikipedia doesnt have hundreds of articals on one subject
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    unknown_all avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by madodaz

Posted by Eminence

we shouldn't need a hundred tus for one job. wikipedia doesnt have hundreds of articals on one subject

Where did I say hundreds? Oh and also, Wikipedia is totally different, it's a Wiki, not a tutorial. Wikis to not have to tell you how to do something, they give you information on a subject, whereas a tutorial is written to teach the readers something... or more simply tutor them.

You've yet to provide a decent reason as to why we don't need multiple tutorials on one subject.
  • 9y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,479 points Ranked 1018th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    It's just fine the way it is.

I've referenced all of the sister tutorials of a subject just to make sure that one person didn't know something that the other didn't. Which most of the tuts are just fine on providing new tid-bits to help your job.

• 9y
    Lucedis avatar
    Lucedis Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    4,719 points Ranked 974th
    Posted by madodaz

Agreed. we have 4 tuts for adding custom decals. c'mon one is ok

Maybe one is too complicated than another? Or, maybe one is easier for beginners, and one is for experienced people. Just leave it how it is.
    i pity the noob!
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Eminence

Posted by madodaz

Posted by Eminence

Where did I say hundreds? Oh and also, Wikipedia is totally different, it's a Wiki, not a tutorial. Wikis to not have to tell you how to do something, they give you information on a subject, whereas a tutorial is written to teach the readers something... or more simply tutor them.

You've yet to provide a decent reason as to why we don't need multiple tutorials on one subject.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/2955
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/2700
    There both simular. and say the exect same thing.

Only a idiot will need alot of tuts telling him to do the exect same thing.
    And since when don't tutorials tutor people. At least get rid of the lowest detailed ones.

Also Lecedis, there all intermetdiat tutorials, But i see your point.

So why should we need 50 odd tutorials Telling a user how to make a simple ladder. Simple to get points, We need to get rid of alot of these, but some that are easy and simple to understand can stay. The ones with minumum effort should go.
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    SGT_kick_ur_ass avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    4,992 points Ranked 929th
    There is a simple solution to this: Instead of complaining about everything on this website, why not be smart and use CSA to properly assess the submissions that are lacking. Eventually they will be deleted, but asking a Moderator to delete them just because you don't "like them" isn't going to get anything done.
    Turbosmooth dat shit. avatar
    Mantra
    Turbosmooth dat shit.
  • 9y
    Intelevend avatar
    Intelevend Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    I understand mods cant go around deleting tuts because they dont like them but im talking to the FPSB members. Everyone talks about how they need to get rid of useless crap....well one way to solve taht would be to stop submittting the crap...
    Mantra
  • 9y
    unknown_all avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by madodaz

And since when don't tutorials tutor people. At least get rid of the lowest detailed ones.

So why should we need 50 odd tutorials Telling a user how to make a simple ladder. Simple to get points, We need to get rid of alot of these, but some that are easy and simple to understand can stay. The ones with minumum effort should go.

So you're basing your whole argument on one case, involving two tutorials. Like I said before as well, if there is a the slightest of difference in them, even in the way something is explained the tutorial should say, simply because they could help different people.

Oh and by the way, your example is flawed. One is done using Photoshop, the other, Gimp. You've just proved my point more than your own.
  • 9y
    Dazerx avatar
    Dazerx Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Eminence

Posted by madodaz

So you're basing your whole argument on one case, involving two tutorials. Like I said before as well, if there is a the slightest of difference in them, even in the way something is explained the tutorial should say, simply because they could help different people.

Oh and by the way, your example is flawed. One is done using Photoshop, the other, Gimp. You've just proved my point more than your own.

Ow yeah, What a HUGE Difference. Photoshop and gimp creating a simple Tga.

Yes Of course thats brilliant. im goint to do one in paint.net and ms paint, and get a easy 50 points

Thanks^^
    In the Hammer we Trust
  • 9y
    unknown_all avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by madodaz

Posted by Eminence

Posted by madodaz

Yes Of course thats brilliant. im goint to do one in paint.net and ms paint, and get a easy 50 points

Thanks^^

Being pedantic wont get what you want, and it also isn't needed in this situation.

Photoshop and Gimp have there own fundamental differences, and if you don't honestly believe that, you need your eyes checked.
  • 9y
    Hunterkiller. avatar
    Hunterkiller. avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    100,341 points Ranked 32nd
    16 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    Posted by Intelevend

I understand mods cant go around deleting tuts because they dont like them but im talking to the FPSB members. Everyone talks about how they need to get rid of useless crap....well one way to solve taht would be to stop submittting the crap...

It's not normally the regular/veteran users that submit the crap, it's normally new users trying to get popular or points.
    What would nemmy do? avatar
    Mantra
    What would nemmy do?
  • 9y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,479 points Ranked 1018th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    Posted by madodaz

Posted by Eminence

Posted by madodaz

Thanks^^

Working in GIMP and Photoshop is two completely different situations, and their needs to be a tutorial for each.

Same as if anyone here used Jasc Paint Shop Pro, or Paint.net.
  • 9y
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall avatar Offline
    Half Life Storm Flag Affiliation: Half Life Storm
    Admin Joined 11y
    15,302 points Ranked 275th
    40 medals 3 legendary 9 rare
    • Achieved Admin clearance Medal icon
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 100 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 200 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Logan Dougall avatar
    Logan Dougall
    Half Life Storm Flag
    Half Life Storm
    Admin
    Sometimes duplication is a good thing, provide different views on the same subject, and those are fine, or even improving on an already covered topic in more detail or simpler steps as well.

But I agree there is a lot of duplication, and a few of us in the Mapping Advisors do try to take care of some blatently copied or lacking effort tutorials when they come in, but still CSA is your best bet to take care of tutorials, just pick the one that isn't needed moreso than the most recent. Leave the good ones up :P
    √úberStylers {...} ~/clubs/1947

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Intelevend avatar
Intelevend Offline
Member Joined 13y