Valve and Questions about Counter Strike

A Forum Thread for Counter-Strike: Source

Hello world. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending DarkElfa points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Already a Bananite? Login

Hey all, I'm DarkElfa and I've been a member of the CS:S modding community since day one almost. I've seen this game go from good to bad to great to ugly. Its mostly a good game though aside from the narly occasional crash and few obviously horrible bugs. While Valve has kept their word and added content and fixes, they've mysteriously not addressed the issues with hit boxes or shaky players. Perhaps this is because they can't fix these issues without major reworking (that may be their plan) or they just plain can't do it at all. I don't know the reasons, but I would like to. Do I want dates and promises? Not at all, I understand workloads and not wanting to say things you can't live up to, but just a nice "yes, we are aware of these problems and are taking said steps towards tackling these bugs" or "Sure, we're aware that the game has a larger game base than TF2 or L4D will ever have but we don't care and screw off". Sure, I'd be happier with the first, but I'd accept the second if for no other reason than that it would lay the issue to rest. Instead, the community has been left like a parent with a missing child, waiting to hear news of rescue or notice of death that never seems to come. We get never ending limbo. I like TF2, hell, I love it for many of its superb technical abilities, but if I thought that CSS wasn't going to remain the game that Valve forgot, I would be right back playing it. Instead, limbo remains. Now, Valve is a smart developer, hell, maybe the smartest around, so I try and take this as a sign that their abandon is only due to them having something enormous in the pipe that will shock us all and that keeps me smiling, but notice of that would be great as well. Again, not a date or loads of details, but a simple "We know CSS is thrashed guys, but rather than fix the utterly broken, we're going to blow you away with a completely new CSS or even CS2". Anything is better than knowing nothing and I find it hard, nay, impossible to fathom that Valve's arguably largest name title would be left by the savviest development studio in the world to rot while the largest FPS user base in history grows weary and frustrated by a lack of insight or information on whats happening to their beloved franchise. Once more Valve, we don't expect the world, just a "hey, we've got your back guys and you will be pleased".

• 9y
    $carface avatar
    $carface avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    6,741 points Ranked 653rd
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Isn't CS:S getting a major update soon? And I'm pretty sure they are going to make a new CS after Episode 3.
    Supah Mawdaratah! avatar
    Mantra
    Supah Mawdaratah!
  • 9y
    Decemberklar avatar
    Decemberklar avatar Offline
    Moderator Joined 11y
    4,479 points Ranked 1019th
    21 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    Well put.

...Yeah, I have nothing else to add.
  • 9y
    DarkElfa avatar
    DarkElfa avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    6,422 points Ranked 687th
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    Posted by $carface

Isn't CS:S getting a major update soon? And I'm pretty sure they are going to make a new CS after Episode 3.

Are they? See, we all think that makes sense, but we hear nothing, they say nothing.
    You Already Know... avatar
    Mantra
    You Already Know...
  • 9y
    -Reaper- avatar
    -Reaper- Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    557,409 points Ranked 3rd
    24 medals 1 legendary 8 rare
    • 500 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 200,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 500,000 Points Medal icon
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 50 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    I believe Valve is trying to focus on the future and not on the past right now. I think they're putting more time into the TF2 updates, Meet The videos, and future hit titles to be released like L4D, Episode 3, a new CS and more.

Gabe Newell said if he gets 20 thousand emails, he will make a new CS, but I doubt he'll count all of them and just make the damn game.
    Wat avatar
    Mantra
    Wat
  • 9y
    ExtraOrdinary avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    8,445 points Ranked 518th
    Yeah, I agree with you on the "enormous pipe" sentence :D
    Proud GTX285 User (02 June 200 avatar
    Mantra
    Proud GTX285 User (02 June 200
  • 9y
    Groove avatar
    Groove avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    2,895 points Ranked 1584th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    Very well said.

I agree that Valve needs to give us some recognition that they still care about CS:S.

There are many things to fix and add, and i think they should stop being so lazy, and put some effort into their most popular game.
    Narcoleptic Insomniac avatar
    Mantra
    Narcoleptic Insomniac
  • 9y
    DarkElfa avatar
    DarkElfa avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    6,422 points Ranked 687th
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    Well, I mean after all, we didn't start out here as TF2Banana.
    You Already Know... avatar
    Mantra
    You Already Know...
  • 9y
    $carface avatar
    $carface avatar Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    6,741 points Ranked 653rd
    Posted by DarkElfa

Posted by $carface

Are they? See, we all think that makes sense, but we hear nothing, they say nothing.

I know it is getting an update for sure. Achievements and whatnot, and I think I can recall something about a new map.
    Supah Mawdaratah! avatar
    Mantra
    Supah Mawdaratah!
  • 9y
    Foohman avatar
    Foohman Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    1,771 points Ranked 2647th
    Posted by $carface

Posted by DarkElfa

Posted by $carface

I know it is getting an update for sure. Achievements and whatnot, and I think I can recall something about a new map.

But we all know CS2 is coming out. Counter-Strike: Online.
    Theres even trailers of it! I imagine they'll be ep.2/3 graphics with a load of little extras :)
    Dohoho! I saw what you did the
  • 9y
    Rokusho avatar
    Rokusho Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Counter-Strike Online is being made by some random developer in Asia, it is a remake of CS:CZ. It isn't CS2 by any measure...

Valve isn't a large company, they are very small compared to other developers, and since they are continually updating old games, TF2 and that can get in the way a bit. But there is an update coming to CSS, which will move it up to the Orange Box version of the Source engine. There are also rumours of map updates and major gameplay updates that will be released during this time. (The Netcode will definitely be better, the Orange Box of Source has better netcode, just the whole game needs to be ported over to it for it to be used, main reason why we are seeing this update).
    Will map for food. avatar
    Mantra
    Will map for food.
  • 9y
    The_Thing999 avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    463 points Ranked 9326th
    As long as I have a graphics card, processor, and RAM that run games to full potential, I don't have to worry.

I thought CS2 was like 1.6, except it had new stuff like ragdoll physics, new reflections. Kind of like half-life: source.
    The Thing
  • 9y
    kyle avatar
    kyle Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    26,287 points Ranked 165th
    Posted by Foohman

Theres even trailers of it! I imagine they'll be ep.2/3 graphics with a load of little extras :)

Counter-Strike: Online is just an Asian version of Condition Zero. Valve has nothing to do with that.

As for CS:S getting an update, I think it'll be something different. As long as achievements aren't tied to weapon unlocks, it'll be fine. It'll be nice to see another game put on the 2007 engine.

Also, I think Valve should port Steam/the games to Linux already. So I wouldn't have to keep resizing the friends window to get messages to show up. :|
    シ avatar
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Foohman avatar
    Foohman Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    1,771 points Ranked 2647th
    Posted by kyle

Posted by Foohman

Counter-Strike: Online is just an Asian version of Condition Zero. Valve has nothing to do with that.

As for CS:S getting an update, I think it'll be something different. As long as achievements aren't tied to weapon unlocks, it'll be fine. It'll be nice to see another game put on the 2007 engine.

Also, I think Valve should port Steam/the games to Linux already. So I wouldn't have to keep resizing the friends window to get messages to show up. :|

Oh. Damn. Ok. Well, as long as 1,000 fucktards buy it a day, ValvE'll be happy, but I mean.. Who wouldn't? Isn't it the #1 online game on the PC?
    Dohoho! I saw what you did the

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

DarkElfa avatar
DarkElfa avatar Offline
Member Joined 12y