Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Help with cpu fan and video problem

A Forum Thread for GameBanana

If anyones answer gets my cpu fixed, ill give you 14,000 points.

was surfing the internet last night and all of the sudden my moniter went black. I checked the cords and everything was fine. I restarted my computer and the fan started sounding like a jet engine. It was not a constant velocity, but it kept accelerating until I turned the computer off. The problem. My fan keeps sounding like a jet engine and looks as if it will breka out of the case and maim me. the fan in question is the one that is situated behind the big metal box (I don't know what is in the box) The fan is located behind the green box in the picture http://www.danzfamily.com/archives/blogphotos/328computeropen.jpg My computer does turn on,but I still get no response from my screen (black screen). What I did. I cleaned off all of the fans with a compressed air can. I removed all of my hardware and put it back in There was no burn marks, no fuzz/dust in the chips The ABCD lights are as normal. Is this my motherboard not telling my fan what to do or do I have a demon fan? Why don't I see anything on my screen? I am running a: 3.2 ghz windows xp 1 gig ram nvidia gefore 8100 no speed boost or overclocking

Replies

• Klexicon avatar
    Klexicon Joined 13y ago
    156 points Ranked 59731st
    access_time 12y
    Did you make sure to plug the fan back in correctly? And you might need to reapply thermal paste to the cpu if you took the fan off of it. Also, how did you handle the hardware? And where did you put it after taking it out?
    URL to post:
  • unknown_all avatar
    unknown_all Joined 13y ago
    100 points Ranked 72452nd
    access_time 12y
    Posted by Klexicon Did you make sure to plug the fan back in correctly? And you might need to reapply thermal paste to the cpu if you took the fan off of it. Also, how did you handle the hardware? And where did you put it after taking it out?
    I'm pretty sure he had the problem before he did all those things... I think he did them because of the problem.
    URL to post:
  • Klexicon avatar
    Klexicon Joined 13y ago
    156 points Ranked 59731st
    access_time 12y
    Posted by Suicidal Mofo
    Posted by Klexicon Did you make sure to plug the fan back in correctly? And you might need to reapply thermal paste to the cpu if you took the fan off of it. Also, how did you handle the hardware? And where did you put it after taking it out?
    I'm pretty sure he had the problem before he did all those things... I think he did them because of the problem.
    Oh your right. Hmm. Not 100% sure then. something might have gotten into the fan and you didnt get it out or your vid card could be fried.
    URL to post:
  • Moistnote avatar
    Moistnote Joined 17y ago
    7,977 points Ranked 769th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    access_time 12y
    Some people on a different forum said that it was a power supply problem. Does this sound reasonable?
    Pajamaz0r
    URL to post:
  • Wildcard777 avatar
    Wildcard777 username pic Joined 13y ago
    16,916 points Ranked 315th
    16 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • 25 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    access_time 12y
    Could you replace the fan to see if that fan works? If that does not work then we can get a better idea of the situation.
    The Table Runner avatar
    Mantra
    The Table Runner
    URL to post:
  • Xtreme avatar
    Xtreme Joined 12y ago
    access_time 12y
    Nvidia gefore 8100 = LOL
    URL to post:
  • Moistnote avatar
    Moistnote Joined 17y ago
    access_time 12y
    Turns out my video card got fried, which then burnt out some things on my motherboard. I got my video card downgraded to a geforce 5200 sigh. no more higest mode on video games. sigh
    Pajamaz0r
    URL to post:
  • Doodles avatar
    Doodles Joined 13y ago
    1,023 points Ranked 24901st
    access_time 12y
    Posted by Xtreme Nvidia gefore 8100 = LOL
    i don't get it
    URL to post:
  • Zippit avatar
    Zippit Joined 14y ago
    183 points Ranked 57204th
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    access_time 12y
    Posted by Doodles
    i don't get it
    /facepalm
    URL to post:
  • Xtreme avatar
    Xtreme Joined 12y ago
    access_time 12y
    Posted by Doodles
    i don't get it
    There's no GeForce 8100. It doesn't exist. Lawl @Zippit.
    URL to post:
  • Moistnote avatar
    Moistnote Joined 17y ago
    access_time 12y
    Might have been an 8200. im not sure. All i know is that it was significantly better than my 5200 i have right now. sigh, why did i give up being an admin, i could smack all of you around so hawd. :-)
    Pajamaz0r
    URL to post:
  • XSS3 avatar
    XSS3 username pic Joined 13y ago
    86,756 points Ranked 44th
    access_time 12y
    The metal box is your PSU (power supply unit), the green "thing" is a fan duct, which leads hot air from the CPU directly out of the case. The fan you're describing is a CPU-Fan and should only be responding to heat from your CPU. The CPU being a 3.2GHz (I'm guessing pentium?) it'll run damn hot, and the fan going ballistic supports this. I'd say that, for whatever reason, your CPU is going topsides with heat. I'd suggest physically checking that the heatsink (metal ribs located under green "thing) is properly connected to the CPU, and that its underside is flat, not warped, and has a very thin layer of thermal paste (will be white or metallic grey) on it. If this works out fine with no obvious fault, I say start your system up having removed the green screen, and check the ribs with your hand regularly for temperature. If you're unable to touch it after a short while due to the heat, that's your problem. Also, if you arrive at the conclusion that heat is the problem, and it's not a hardware thing, try restoring your computer to an earlier time using windows restore functions, or back-up whatever personal files you have and reformatted. Also, I doubt this is an issue related to your PSU, and it's unlikely that it's your graphics card if the fan on it is spinning "normally." That is, not sounding like an airplane. Edit: Nevermind... It was your graphics card.
    I know security inside and out avatar
    Mantra
    I know security inside and out
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author