What is a Mod Commission?A mod commission is when someone requests you create a new mod - it may be a small mod like a custom spray or logo baked into a skin, or it may be a big mod, like a whole new character or a custom map. It may be paid work or it may be done for free. Many modders who accept commissions ask for a payment. Others may receive a gift, such as points on GameBanana or a STEAM game. Some modders use websites like Patreon where they have a subscriber base, and take requests off their subscribers.
Checkpoint aims to facilitate this process. While GameBanana has a Requests section which has some similarities, Checkpoint is an entire website build specifically around this function.
Checkpoint was build with a few considerations in mind:
- Most modders have an online presence at one or more social networks or creative hubs (e.g Twitter, ArtStation, DeviantArt, ModDB, GameBanana, Youtube, STEAM etc), so on Checkpoint you can advertise your other accounts prominently in your profile. This establishes trust with users who are viewing your profile - they can see that you are an active modder with a following, so they will be more inclined to order a commission from you.
- We think modders appreciate highly customizable profiles - on Checkpoint you can alter many aspects of your profile, more so than you can on most other websites. We've made it a lot easier to do than on GameBanana.
- Creators can perform a range of different commissions, sometimes for multiple games, and sometimes not even for games - sometimes they might make assets for a new game, or just general illustrations and renders. There is currently no clear way to determine what a creator can create or cannot create, anywhere. With Checkpoint's Commission Forms, you can indicate to users exactly what you can or want to make.
So far Checkpoint has a few features:
- Create and heavily customize your own profile.
- Upload portfolio images which will appear on your profile.
- Create and manage custom commission forms which also appear on your profile.
- Receive orders and message back and forth with the user who placed the order.
Checkpoint is very new, and it has bugs and other shortcomings, but we are really excited about it and would love you to sign up and to hear your feedback on it. We have a Discord server and we'd love you to join and share your experiences using Checkpoint, and any ideas you may have.