Due to unprecedented demand, particularly from users in rural areas where Internet speeds are slow and patchy, we finally put a down-payment on 120,000 blank CD-ROMs and a commercial grade auto-loading CD burner. When you click CD-ROM Mailer a blank CD-ROM will be auto-loaded and burned with your requested mod file, all in real-time. Please do not click the link multiple times!
Why CD-ROMs?We decided to go with CD-ROMs over other storage formats for multiple reasons:
- CD-ROMs are very cheap - there is still a huge glut of blank CD-ROMs left over from 1997 when most CD-ROM foundries closed.
- Most of our mods are less than 700mb, making DVDs a waste.
- CD-ROMs can be mailed without any case or container - simply a postage stamp on the back of the CD-ROM is sufficient. The postal service is able to run the CD-ROM to determine the recipient's address, which is encoded in the first 256 bytes of data.
- Most gamers have at least two CD-ROM drives, making installation of multiple mods at once now possible.
- CD-ROMs can also be played backwards - this will arrange the mod's bytes in reverse order, creating a slightly different mod with new colors and sound effects.
Who pays?Currently, we think the fairest way to run the CD-ROM mailer program is to charge mod creators each time a CD-ROM of their mod is requested. Each month, mod creators will receive an invoice from GameBanana listing the number of CD-ROM mailers that went out and the total cost.
What about small mods?Using an entire CD-ROM for a small mod is a waste - that's why we'll be putting mods smaller than 1.44 megabytes on a floppy disk. Don't have a floppy disk drive? Don't worry, all our floppy disks come with a retractable micro USB cable, making them compatible with virtually any device.
Stay tuned for updates to the Mailer program - next month we plan to add support for a 3D Print option for all mods - get any mod in physical form at any scale you require.