This is my entry for the GameBanana Winter Wonderland mapping contest.
I'm currently just at planning / blocking out stage of development, but I'll be sure to update this WiP page like I usually do when some more interesting stuff comes about.
I also tried out using a mood board to try and get some ideas flowing, I think it worked rather well.
Update 1 | 21/11/12
- Blocked out the garages
- Added detail under the balcony
- Messed around with point_devshot_camera for way too long. They just don't bloody work properly.
Update 2 | 25/11/12
- Added stairs inside house
- Textured a load of stuff
- Continued to block out house
- Added some doors to main house
- Added snow to roof
- Added fireplace + temp lighting indoors
- Tidied up the displacements a bit more
Mini Update | 26/11/12
Oh blimey, a frontpage feature, I feel so special :D
Update 3 | 28/11/12
- Added some rims around the windows
- Fixed up the down stairs doors (they were clipping into the wall)
- Added some snow precipitation
I can some more of the updates being done like this, tiny things being added every few days when I find a window a time to get some work done. I should hopefully be able to pick up the workflow after the 12th (extended work deadline).
Update 4 | 29/11/12
- Tided up blending on some of the displacements and added modulated blending to the rooves for a much better transition between textures (thanks to Planub for the suggestion)
- Added sofas, xmas tree and gifts to living space
- Added logs, fire and lighting to fireplace
- Tided up a bunch of textures
- Changed placeholder car props in garage to better ones
I should really get to a playable state before anything else...
Update 5 | 3/12/12
- Still haven't got to a playable state, I'm a a terrible person
- Added smoke to chimney (I'll polish it up at some point)
- Textured ceiling
- Added ceiling wood beams
- Properly textured side of roof
- Added some new windows
- Slightly edited placeholder lighting
- Logs + fire added to other fireplace
Update 6 | 4/12/12
- GOT TO A PLAYABLE STATE. 'bout damn time.
- Made the bedrooms on either side of the building
- Moved the Christmas tree and sofas to adjacent room, also added some other details in there
- Added dinner table and chairs to the room where the tree used to be
- Made some stairs for the bedrooms
- Remade the windows for the bedrooms
- Added ceiling beams
- Added proper lighting sources to wood beams
- Added some mounds of snow outside to use as cover
- DID SOME DARN PLAYTESTIN'
I also found out that so far (using RescueTime), this project has taken me around 12 hours. Not bad progress I'd say...
ADDITIONALLY, since I've got this sucker into a playable state now I could do with a few playtesters to give it a good look over. Leave a comment below or message me if your interested!
Update 7 | 10/12/12
- Made the garages a bit bigger and added a bunch of details to each of them
- Added some brushes under the displacements so proper visleaves could be drawn
Got bored, decided to make a .gif with some of the dev screenshots I've got so far.
Update 7 | 10/12/12
- LOTS of stuff
- Finished development! Come and get it!