Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have
paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills
and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3
You know how the game has skyboxes that shows how the tracks/battle stages look? Have you ever wanted to change them without looking for them in the games files? Well this is the tutorial for you.
First off, you need these in order to do this: 1. BYAML Tool (Click on "ByamlTool.zip") 2. yamlconv (Click on the .exe) 3. A list of all of the game's Skybox IDs 4. (Optional) A dump of the latest version (v1.7.1) of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or a byaml file for MK8D from any course mod in Gamebanana with a .byaml file in the download.
Now that you've got them, its finally time to do some skybox swapping.
NOTE: This game uses little endian (3DS/Switch) files. Attempting to use big endian (Wii U) from Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U will not work at all.
1. Open the BYAML Tool.
2. Click on the "Tools" tab and select "Convert to Big Endian".
3. Select the byaml you want to use to convert it.
4. The file you just converted is now big endian and shown with ".new.byaml" in it. I'd suggest removing that part of the file so that was you don't get confused when you're doing multiple byaml files.
5. Now you need to drag the big endian byaml you just made into "yamlconv.exe" and it'll convert it into an xml file (aka a text file format)
6. Open up the xml file with something like WordPad or another text editor, and also open the text file you downloaded earlier containing the skybox IDs.
7. Press Ctrl+F to open the "Find" window and enter "VR" in the search bar. It'll locate the word containing what's being searched.
8. Replace it exactly for what skybox you want for that track. Next is that you need to find the ID for the skybox it is currently using and replace with the ID for the skybox you want for that track (It's required in order for the skybox to be swapped.) Replace the 1st one from "ObjID" Then replace the second one from the MapObjID list.
9. Once the changes have been made, save it and convert it back to big endian byaml with yamlconv.
10. Now go back to the BYAML Tool and select the "Tools" tab again and select "Convert to Little Endian" this time. Then find the byaml you just edited and converted and select it. Once again, it'll convert to little endian with the ".new.byaml" part again, so just remove it since it only needs to be in ".byaml".
11. Go to the romfs folder in your sd card, go to the Course folder and find the course the byaml goes to. (NOTE: Although doing skybox swaps is safe for online, it needs to be in the right track, or else it won't load properly and will crash the whole room online and can potentially lead to getting banned, so please keep that in mind. I'm not responsible if you get banned because of that.)
12. After that's done, take the sd card out and put it in your Switch, run Atmosphere, boot the game up and test it. If it loads correctly with the skybox swapped, congrats, you've learned how to swap skyboxes in MK8D, and if it doesn't work right or it crashes, you'll need to redo it again.
And thats how to swap skyboxes in MK8D. If there's any problems you have with it, feel free to tell me and I'll do my best to respond to it asap.