GameBanana shows no ads to members. Sign up now!
Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Known file editors

A Forum Thread for Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

tl;dr - it's currently possible to create only texture and music mods. Models, levels, and some other complicated things (like code injections) are not possible at this moment.

1. Intro

Due to the recent requests that are impossible to complete, I'll post here the file formats that are properly editable with a bit more description.

2. File format description

Here's description of file formats that currently possible to edit properly. This thread only provide descriptions of file format that are present on PC.

2.1. AMB

Game asset container
Usually this contains all other files, such as textures, level layouts, models, etc.
Can be edited with AMBPatcher that comes with the Mod Loader.

Though it is possible to edit these files, they should not be included into your mods. For more information read Mod structure.

2.2. CSB/CPK

Criware's audio container
Contains all the sounds and music. On PC, it has ADX files.
Can be edited with Skyth's CsbEditor from Sonic Audio Tools. It is also bundled with Mod Loader.

Though it is possible to edit these files, they should not be included into your mods. For more information read Mod structure.

2.3. ADX

Criware's audio file
To encode these files properly, you need a good converter. There are a lot of proprietary converters, most of them are good. One open-source converter is FFmpeg, it can encode ADX properly since 4.3 version. You can use FFmpeg-based ADX converter for easier use of FFmpeg.

2.4. DDS

DirectDraw Surface
This file can be edited in most image editors that support DDS such as GIMP or Photoshop.

2.5. AMA

Sprite's properties
This file contains properties for 2D sprites (buttons, text, other HUD).
The only editor at this moment is my AMAEditor. It can only edit about 10% of all files properly at this moment.

2.6. TXB

TeXture Bank
This file contains a list of textures and their filtering functions (magnification and minifying).
TXBEditor can edit properly all files from both episodes.

3. Source

Most of the info is taken from my File description table. I'll try to update the post as more tools are available and tested.

4. Know tools to edit unlisted formats?

If you know how to edit other file formats that Sonic 4 (both episodes) use? Tell us about them.

Embed

Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

OSA413 avatar
OSA413 Joined 2y ago
is fast asleep!
412 points Ranked 48,594th
10 medals 1 rare