Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3

Help with model importing!

A Forum Thread for Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)

Members see zero ads. Membership is 100% free
Hi everyone. Sort of late to the Smash modding business, but I’ve recently gotten inspiration to put characters into the game. I’ve followed a lot of tutorials on here, but I’ve run into a huge roadblock so I need to ask advice. 

The model that I’m currently trying to import is a XNAlara, single-mesh. I read that it was better to keep it all together if you were a beginner, so I did that. Removed all the original bones, imported the Smash character that I’m using, removed their model, and scaled the custom model to the skeleton. What I can’t figure out how to do is make the mesh move with the bones. It’s not attached or anything. Like I heard about weighting envelopes and all, but no matter how many tut videos that I see— it’s so difficult for me (as a beginner) because the model I’m using has so many vertices and I don’t know to which bone they belong, thus I can’t weight the model (which I’ve heard is what rigs / attaches the bones to the mesh). Planning on posting the complete mod on here whenever I get this figured out but I really need help with this process. Thank you in advance to the more experienced modders who lend a hand! 

Replies

• stardustedhope avatar
    stardustedhope Joined 1y ago
    144 points Ranked 60825th
    access_time 1mo
    Side note: my editing program is 3ds max 2015. :)
    Bananite
    URL to post:
  • BabyLuigiOnFire avatar
    BabyLuigiOnFire username pic Joined 2y ago
    1,811 points Ranked 21015th
    9 medals 1 rare
    • 10 submissions featured Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • Submission featured Medal icon
    • Returned 100 times Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    access_time 1mo
    Have you tried looking at the original model's rig as a guideline on what vertices to rig to? Unfortunately, the process of rigging isn't any easier than that: what you should be doing is assigning vertices to a bone so that when the bone moves, the vertexes move with it.
    Baby Luigi
    URL to post:

Embed

menu
Share banner
Image URL
HTML embed code
BB embed code
Markdown embed code

Author

Game

Category