modding Half-Life & expansions

A Forum Thread for Half-Life

Hi!

Please, I need advanced knowledge of Steam and Half-Life here...

If I want to make a modification for Half-Life without altering the original folders (valve or valve_hd), I make a new folder and then I put "-game ...", where "..." is the mod name (by default, half-life executes the original campaign mode (vanilla game), but what happens with Blue Shift and Opposing Force if we would also not want the original folders to be modified and keep running the expansions' chapters/levels the same way that happens with Half-Life (vanilla)?

is there a file (or several) that I should create paste inside the expansion packs' folders to make the mod launch or start with bshift and/or gearbox level designs (chapters)?

SPANISH/ESPAÑOL
Hola! Cómo hago correr un mod de Blue Shift y/o de Opposing Force sin establecer los archivos o las modificaciones dentro de las carpetas originales de las expansiones (bshift, bshift_hd, gearbox, gearbox_hd)?

Ya sé que con Half-Life común ("vainilla", como suelen decirle), simplemente se crea una carpeta con nombre a elección y luego automáticamente al iniciar ese mod, se carga la campaña original de Half-Life, pero qué pasa con las expansiones?

• JovanLanik avatar
    JovanLanik username pic Joined 4y ago
    Is Away
    282 points Ranked 15808th
    12 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • Gamefiler of the Month, December 2015 Medal icon
    9mo
    I think you can add fallback_dir to to the liblist.gam file to mount any additional folders. For example fallback_dir "gearbox" should mount the maps in the gearbox/maps folder. Not sure if blue shift would work because its maps aren't compatible with the standard HL engine. The only way I know of is using the map files from blue shift unlocked.
    • Thanks x 1

Embed

Share banner
Image URL:
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

Author

1v4n94 avatar
1v4n94 Joined 5y ago
116 points Ranked 28272nd
8 medals 1 rare