THIS FILE IS BEING REPOSTED AFTER CONFERRING WITH THE MODERATORS AND CHECKING VALVES "RULES"
FOR CONTENT USAGE. THIS MAP IS NOT ILLEGAL. THE CONTENT IT USES IS NOT FROM THE HALF LIFE 2
GAME FILES, BUT FROM THE SOURCE ENGINE SHARED CONTENT (C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\source 2007 shared materials.gcf,source 2007 shared models.gcf,
source 2007 shared sounds.gcf, etc.) WHICH IS INSTALLED WITH AND AVAILABLE TO EVERY PC VERSION
OF TEAM FORTRESS 2 WHETHER AS PART OF THE ORANGE BOX OR NOT AND CAN LEGALLY BE INCLUDED
ACCORDING TO VALVES OWN CONTENT SHARING RULES (MOD CONTENT USAGE/SOURCE). YOU CAN SPAWN ALL OF
THE HALF LIFE 2 CONTENT FROM THIS MOD IN TF2 USING create_dynamic_prop AND SIMILAR COMMANDS.
REPEAT, THIS CONTENT IS CONFIRMED TO BE LEGAL, PLEASE DO NOT DISAPPROVE AS ILLEGAL SIMPLY
BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE TEXTURES. ANY DISAPPROVALS MADE ON THIS BASIS WILL BE CHALLENGED.
TF2 meets Half Life 2!
The citizens of City 17 (red team) battle against their combine oppressors (blu team).
The combine blu team is taking a strider to destroy the red team's secret research facility near their base. The red team has to destroy the strider before it reaches the research center, or City 17 is lost! The blu combine team needs to escort the strider and protect it on it's way to the research center so it can unleash it's full power!
The strider is shielded from the front, so red needs to either get under it, or attack from the sides using the various windows, ledges and roofs around the map in order to do any significant damage.
This map is slightly different from regular PL maps in a few other ways. For one, the strider, which acts as the cart, does not have a dispenser function and does not heal or replace ammo/metal, however it can attack! The strider's laser will cut down anything in it's path, friend and foe alike, so clear the area when it fires!
The strider will move forward when members of the combine blu team stand near its legs, or slightly behind it. It will stop moving if it takes damage, and start moving backward if it takes over a certain amount of damage. If the strider takes too much damage it will be destroyed and the red team will win. The strider's current damage status is indicated by the color of the light on the console in the respawn room. If the light is blue the strider is in good health, green is about half health and if it's about to be destroyed the light will turn red. Blu gets 1 point for destroying each of the gates on the way to the research center. Any Red players near the gates when they are destroyed will be killed by the explosion.
Please don't bother posting about using Half Life 2 textures and such in TF2. The entire idea of the map is that it's a Half Life 2 themed map!
Credit to Valve for all the Half Life 2 textures, models, buildings, etc.
I hope you enjoy this slightly different type of PL map.
I revised a map.
* The armor of the front of strider thickened.
* I reduced some durability.
* I lost a barrier.
* I made a passage underground.
* I made the tower where a sniper could step on.
A revision point of beta version 8.1
* I set up shield before strider. The durability is low in this shield, but revives immediately even if broken. In addition, the durability of strider in itself does not decrease even if I disturb this no matter how much.
* I made the durability of strider 14 from 12.
* I changed some maps to be easy to do attack from the side in strider
* I attracted attention to understand a lower text with the durability of strider at the time of a game start. Meters increase.
* I revised that a nodrow beefsteak charr stayed on a building.
* I installed a tele porter in a bottom and the gap of stairs and revised the bug that fitted in if I did teleport.
* The person whom there was below if the floor that collapsed of the second gate collapsed died instantly.
* strider did not attack it at the time of setup.
* I attached a door to blue respwanarea.
A revision point of beta 9
* I made the front part armor of the main body of strider big.
* I made the size of the shield before strider big and increased some durability.
* I could be accompanied and was not able to attack a wall from a long distance aside in the round building which the last curve had.
* I kept an obstacle if I would repent for a snipe from a window of 1F in the second gate side.
* I adjust the structure of the building to some extent generally.
A revision point of version2
A revision point of version3
*I make SKYBOX
*I revise the bug that warning was announced when I capture STRIDER with last CP
Because it is WEB translation, there may be a place hard to find.
Because I am weak in English, I am sorry
Please watch http://blog.goo.ne.jp/dertend2000/ in detail.
We have given this map a few test runs on our 24 slot pub. Altogether, we probably played it about 20 times thru, with numbers varying between 2 v 2 & 12 v 12...
First off, let's all just let it go about the difference in the textures... This map is an homage to BOTH HL2 & to TF2... Yes, it doesnt have the red & blue natural & industrial colors and textures that are the staple of TF2, but then , it is an HL2 world, with TF2 characters in it... You want HL2? Play it... You want TF2 with red & blue, play stock maps... You want to try both? Give this map a whirl...
That all being said, we DID find that there was NEVER a successful defense against the onslaught of the Blue team and their Strider/cart.
The concept of the mobile sentry is a great idea that has been tossed about for a while... Replacing the cart with this striding gun is a novel approach to the combination of the two worlds... I like it... Well done. :)
The environment is obviously HL2, but it provides a heck of a lot more vertical options than most TF2 maps, as the buildings have more than one floor and you can also jump from building to building in certain places. I, personally, thought there was too much debris littering the streets, but it does serve to funnel the players into chokepoints... However, it makes any type of backwards retreat very difficult, as there are no straightforward, clear paths.
As for the action of the strider, I did notice it walking through cars and other objects, rather than walking over them... Not a big problem IMO, but it doesnt look right. Also, it seemed to be very selective about who it chose to fire upon. We saw it stride thru an entire defending group and not fire at anyone, even though they were bombarding it like crazy. It should probably fire upon anyone, in range, that attacks it, like a sentry would. Maybe it was too high off the ground to acquire the targets?
Additionally, adding to the imbalance, the strider doesnt actually reach the points on the "track" when it decides to blow them up... It should go all the way to the point and then start firing. Defenders hiding behind a point or standing on a point should be able to defend it without being blown up from 50 yards away.
I found that some classes seem to be pretty useless against the strider... Pyros seem to do no damage buring its legs... Demo's pipe bombs just bounce off it and stickies dont stick to it... And spies cant backstab it... T'would be neat if spies could sap the gun and disable it, since, afterall, it IS a sentry! ;)
Some of those that played on the map with me felt that the strider should be disabled for longer when the red team successfully takes it out... As it is now, the team focuses on the strider to stop the cart, and, once they succeed, they still have to deal with the entire Blue team too. Its almost like Red has to defeat 2 teams - the strider and the Attackers. And, if a single spy or a scout even touches the cart again, it starts moving forward immediately, making the entire effort of killing it a waste of time...
If the "cart" needed a certain number of Blue players near it or a certain amount of time to rebuild and start moving again, it would help balance things out...
Something needs to be tweaked in order to give Red more of a fighting chance to successfully defend their base and win at least once in a while....
Overall, this map is a great concept and shows a genuine respect for both games and a bar-raising approach to the process of TF2 map development. Keep it goin'! :)
Well, the server has instantrespawn, and excess blood mod, but thats it
and as for the bad areas, just jump to a high building, then double jump into a rubble pile
and people can get inside the big blue combine barriers
I haven't spoken to Dio about these comments yet, so the following are just my replies. I'll post corrections if he tells me anything is wrong =)
I've never seen glitch #1. Are you running any server mods or odd/unique server settings? Does it happen everytime you run the map or just sometimes? Only when red/blue wins? If you can provide some more specifics I'm sure dio would like to track down any bugs as serious as that. For the record I've never seen nor heard of that bug on any of three servers I know running the map here (including my own).
2. This seems to happen on a lot of custom PL maps for some reason. People get absolutely obnoxious scores. I've actually managed to pull this off on badwater as well, so I imagine it's a glitch with the pl system, rather than with this map specifically.
3. Trying to hunt down all the "bad areas". If you know of any specific ones let him know! Unfortunately because of how big the map is and the number of buildings/etc it's taking time to track them all down. Already found one near the overturned oil tanker, and one under the steps near the 2nd gate.
1. I think the map definitely has a bit of a learning curve in terms of directions. Dio actually playtested some of the early versions on my server and I STILL didn't notice some of the shortcuts that open up for blue after they cap certain points until the last two beta versions. I'm not certain how dio feels about it, but personally I'd rather not have the big TF2 arrows plastered all over the place if it can be avoided, maybe there's a more subtle way he can "direct traffic" that will still blend in with the map's theme. All suggestions welcome =)
3. As a person who loves playing spy, I think the abundance of snipers on this map and all the great hiding spots are wonderful, but I'll pass on the suggestion ;)
4. The only hl2 characters that can be added are those that are available in the source shared content gcfs. Off the top of my head the ones not already in the map are, I think, 3 combine variations (police, soldier, prison guard), alyx, her dad (forget his name), stalkers, various zombies, gman, vortiguants, and err whathisface the guy who ran city 17. Unfortunately, they can only be spawned as dynamic models (Vetruvian Man) or changed into ragdolls (which just flop around on the ground like a corpse) and there's not much more that can be done with them the way they are used in this map (ripping from the game itself and whatnot is not allowed so they have to be called using content and functions available in tf2), if there is a way to pose them better, neither of us has found it yet, but I'll keep playing around with it and see what I can pull off.
There should be more of this type of map. A little change is awesome:
My 30 cents:
1. The map is so huge, its easy to get lost. Place some directions in places so we know where to go.
2. Its hard to tell if you can get through scenery or not. Sometimes I get stuck in weird places, like building rubble.
3. Make the roads littered with more debris. This is because the map is so sniper friendly its wrong!
4. Add more random HL2 characters. TF2 needs more of the random combine/resistance npcs. Also, for some odd reason they're in the "Vetruvian Man" pose...could you fix this?
An epic map.
Pros: This map so amazing and innovative, i cant stop playing it
i love how the strider attacks people and blows things up
Cons: lots of bugs :/ game hindering glitches
Glitch 1: After the first round ends, and the next round starts, the strider vanishes, then the round never ends, thus, making everybody switch to spectator, and back to fix this
2: This one baffles me, idk how to duplicate it but its a biggy, if conditions are correct, then a player will get a capture every about 5 seconds. EX: i was afk, i came back, then...i had 200 points, 0 kills
3: its really easy to jump into bad areas
Notes: Fix bugs, make it more balanced, other than that its an amazing map
Good god, lots of comments. Take it slow people, I have to translate all this stuff, so replies might be slow or not come at all if there is no need for a reply.
Pointing out bugs is appreciated (especially no clip areas, etc. we just found one today where an engy can be a pecker and trap his teammates with a teleporter...) however just saying "the map is buggy" or "I hate hl2 wah wah" is completely useless.
Notice the note right above the feedback box.
"Provide constructive feedback. What is "constructive"?""
If you have found bugs point out specific locations please. Thanks you to those who have taken the time to make comments that are actually informative (especially booster for all the very specific tips, however there's no way you took down the strider with 7 rockets, it has ten shields each with 1000hp, that's 10,000 damage and crits have no effect ;) Red definitely has the advantage at present though, Dio is working on it for the next version).
The strider can't go through walls any more than your player model or the cart in a regular payload map can. It is on a set path and doesn't deviate and go through buildings. If you have found bugs point out specific locations so they can be fixed.
If you don't like Hl2/Hl2 textures etc. why would you bother downloading a map that says all over the description it is intentionally designed to look like hl2? Just to start trouble? I mean seriously, what kind of person intentionally goes out and does something they know they aren't going to like just to complain about it afterwards?
It's a much newer version than the last one that was up ( think that was alpha 4, can't remember). There have been too many changes to list them all, including fixing all sorts of bugs, no clips, areas where players could get stuck, exploit, etc. The balance has also been tweaked with this version displaying the strider's life with the bars at the bottom of the screen (people complained about the lights on the consoles in spawn and wanted something more detailed, and now they complain about that), the shield added around the strider and made visible to give red a hint as to where they should shoot, etc. etc. etc.
New version already in the works so keep the bug reports and such coming please!
Thank you for advice in various ways.
I do not understand English with a Japanese. It is difficult I understand feedback of all of you immediately, and to revise it.
However, I ask a friend and have you point out the places where there is a problem in particular and do it to a map to be able to enjoy.
Thank you very much
Someone's riled up in their coop! crazychicken, these are the same quality textures css uses, the number one fps, remember. a million plus can't be wrong.
You say the map is buggy, you should really point out the bugs. That's sort of how they get fixed.
As for this map, I'm still in shock that enough people voted to remove it.