Thanks for featuring this submission on the homepage on the 22nd of December, 2019!
1. DescriptionSonic Project (working title) is a level pack for Sonic Boll that features levels based on the visual style and gameplay of the Sonic The Hedgehog games. Currently the level pack is at Demo 5, which contains the first three zones and a third of the fourth zone, plus four custom special stages.
The level design of Sonic Project attempts to imitate the following common tropes of Sonic levels:
- Levels are often large with frequently splitting paths.
- Terrain contains many slopes and long stretches, allowing for speed to be built up quickly, but not so much that speed becomes a central focus.
- Exploration is very important, so shards are always located in hidden blocks towards the end of the stage, and backtracking is required to reach the checkpoint and play a special stage.
- Second acts contain mandatory sub-areas that further diversify zone themes.
2. PlansThe following zones are planned to make it into the final version, if Sonic Project is ever finished:
- Sage Hill Zone: Normal theme with a Bonus sub-area
- Aether Adventure Zone: Athletic theme with Heaven music and an Underwater sub-area
- Sandtraps Zone: Beach theme with an Underground sub-area
- Nocturn Village (working title) Zone: Night theme with a Bonus sub-area and a Castle boss in a third act
- Treetrunk Trail (working title) Zone: Forest theme with an Underwater sub-area
- Electro Engine (working title) Zone: Airship theme with an Underground sub-area
- Seismic Struggle (working title) Zone: Volcano theme with a Castle sub-area and a final Castle boss in a third act