2015 was a great year for Source, which is why I decided at that time to redesign one of the most popular surf maps of all times: surf_greatriver (by Black). There are a few reasons why I felt this remake was necessary:
1. The original map lacked many aestethic appeal. I decided to give it my abstract, freeminded design with a modern coat to it.
2. Nearly All ports have been more or less unsuccesful. Some that are succesful are still riddled with water problems and lighting errors.
3. I have always wanted to remake a map, preferably a surf map in order to boost and support the surf community on Global Offensive. With that said, the last update to this map signed the end of my personal free input and time for the surf community.
Greatriver 2015 tries to simulate a (sc)ion-like, futuristic feeling in an otherwise wordly setting, taking into account the name it bears by the inclusion of rivers and the wide open sea as skybox. I wanted to respect nearly everything of the original greatriver in terms of technicals and movement, so I didn't went crazy in renewing the ramps completely or adding new gimmicks or things that would derive from the original gameplay.
Changes as of v1_1:
- Fixed ramp bugs (100% failproof).
- Fixed jail door conflicts with buttons and animation.
- Fixed teleport bug that would randomly teleport to top of garage.
- Added respawnable weapons. Only those with an effect under them are respawnable. Anti pickup-and-drop system implemented.
- Added waterfall particles. Will only work on servers who have a precacher plugin.
- Improved overall lighting, cubemapping, textures and some models. HDR tonemapping now available.
- Improved optimization slightly.
Some permanent changes in general:
- Removed 'Undershotty'. There used to be space under the platform with shotguns (in front of both spawns) where you could fly through. For trick servers this is more or less detrimental, but I decided to keep it this way. My version will most likely never be used for tricks anyways, instead focussing on combat.
- Removed jail lasers and grenade room. Both were gimmicks that were added by xDre4m (I think?) as some sort of 'secrets', but they would favor only the ones with the knowledge and spoil the fun for others. To focus on skill-based surf, these have been removed. In addition, the naderoom caused some uproar because it would forcibly teleport the entire playerbase there for a quick, and ultimately boring RNG fight that had nothing to do with surf.
- Removed all clan advertisements and jail credits. Credits are now mentioned on the billboard in front of playerspawns, in the room under CT ramp, and at the bottom platform.
This maps' latest improvements and suggestions from other players have now been included. I cooperated with a professional surf player whilst designing the new version, but that shouldn't keep anyone from going forward and voicing their opinions. Any future changes are, as of the latest update, unlikely to happen. Should you (client or clan) wish to see some significant changes, then I'm open for discussion.
Should a clan wish to have his/her own version of surf_greatriver_2015, then please contact me. No derivates are allowed to be made. Ports are also not allowed, I will be porting the map myself to CS:S, in which case it will have its own page.