This is my first map i created and working on it for three months now :)
the map is not finished yet i need to work on the optimization, timings and endboss. I hope you like this map and i hope you can give me some tips and ideas.
PM me if you found something like bugs.
Good look surviving!
If you needed extra help, you can PM me here on GameBanana and either ask for help on a particular thing, or directly add me on steam. I hope you are able to get this map to work well (although, to be honest, I don't know if that boss is really necessary; I haven't seen it, so I can't talk...) since the design is not bad. Maybe (I can't remember if I told you already) a 3D skybox would greatly help the ambience, giving it either more village/forest or urban ambience. I remember seeing sprites behind the bossfight (which I presume are his attacks). You could use particles instead for better looks. Still, now you should focus on what you're doing, optimization.
Thank you for your tips and opinion. I'm working hard to make a update. I fixed the skybox and the leaks. now im working on the bugs the cave and helpers to help people find the route.
Kind regards Ruben
> **Posted by devilinu**
> Thanks for your feedback, i fixed the download.
I could still test it renaming the map, so no problem... Just remember not to do it again, since it will probably lead to problems and most server owners don't like those.
You shouldn't use dots in the mapname... It will lead to problems. I will try to test it now and give some detailed feedback.
First of all, and regarding optimization, it seems that you have a giant box as your skybox. This should never be done this way; check this link in the valve dev. wiki to do it properly: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Skybox_Optimization
I believe you might have a few leaks too. Leaks ocurr when the world is not correctly sealed, not allowing VVIS to compile and, thus, making your map render completely regardless you are in one closed room or in one of the paths. I'm not sure since I just did a speedtest, but it's something worth checking.
Design-wise I've noted the following:
- You didn't use func_detail. Read https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail for an explanation of how to use them correctly. Do NOT apply it to displacements or the map won't compile.
- You didn't seem to use func_detail. For an explanation of how to use it go here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail
- Your displacement cave (?) seems like a hollowed out cylinder from which inner faces have been turned into a displacement. It shouldn't be done this way (and even less considering the vertexes aren't even shared between the pairs of displacements, creating odd shadows and looking strange; potentially bugging players), but with a hollowed cube (check for the vertexes to be connected as they should, https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Displacement for more information, specifically subdividing and joining the vertexes). Also, only select the displacement faces you want to turn into displacements as such, and remember to add an enclosing solid (of nodraw texture, for example) as they don't seal the world.
- The map is confusing. The paths should be easier to see/notice. You should add decals here and there that help you, maybe moving sprites, things alike.
- I might have not make it fast enough, but I believe the map is long. Considering you have a max. 9 minutes limitation set by CS:S, you should probably check that.
- I believe there are multiple endings and paths, but you don't seem to define them 'per round', so they are always open. I might have misunderstood it, but if I haven't, I'm quite sure it will lead to terrible bugs/glitches/rever ending rounds.
- Console commands could be better writing as well as they could describe the way you have to follow better.
- Some areas aren't player friendly. With a lots of players, nobody will know where to go (for examples, at the sewers (?) area)