This map is based on a real fortress called Vesting Bourtange in the north of the Netherlands. During the battle the levees were destroyed and new entries into the town were created as a result.
- Maximum players: 6
- Playable area: 512x512
- Creator: Martin *Kouji San* Borgman
- Creator website: http://www.existence-unknown.com/
- Weahter options: MP_LYON_MIDDAY, MP_LYON_DAWN, CLOSE_RIVER_COMBAT_STORMY, CLOSE_RIVER_COMBAT_HAZY
They don't seem to be working with the SGA file...
- Inspiration: Vesting Bourtange (http://www.bourtange.nl/)
- 2 medium manpower points, cuts your enemy of from supplies inside the fortress
- 2 high ammo points
- 2 high fuel points
- 4 low ammo points, located on your side of the bridges, outside the fortress (2 per side)
- 4 low fuel points, located on your side of the bridges, outside the fortress (2 per side)
- 2 medium ammo points
- 2 medium fuel points
There are a total of three victory points, two of which are based around the town center, while the other one is located in between the none vehicle bridge.
- First release candidate: 2-3 days (released on 2010-03-06)
- This map is based on Fortress Groningen (6), I've made this one specifically for OMGMOD, they requested this map to be released with the levees taken down. making it better suited for the way OMGMOD is played.
Play testers against AI (ranging from Easy to Expert)
- Martin “Kouji San” Borgman
This map is based on a real fortress called Vesting Bourtange in the north of the Netherlands. It isn’t a 100% recreation, mind you. This is due to gameplay limitations. But I did try to make it look like the Fortress. Vesting Bourtange is shaped like a pentagram, which I thought would be pretty interesting to base a Company of Heroes map on.
Speaking of gameplay, there are two very important manpower points inside the fortress, if your enemy controls the point closest to you, it will cut you off from your supply sectors inside the fortress. The real fortress only has two vehicle bridges, but I added two none vehicles bridges as well. These bridges are huge chokepoints and if you are pushed from the fortress it will be a very hard battle getting back inside.
The streets inside the fortress were designed back in the day for horse carriages and pre-industrial vehicles. This makes them narrow and not ideal for the heavy German and Allied warmachines. This gives infantry an advantage against vehicles, but once they get to the center of the town, this advantage somewhat is lost.
The previous map, on which this one is based, has been demolished at both manpowerpoints. Some buildings inside the town also took damage and are on fire. The main reason for this utter lack of respect for this historical monument was, that I needed two entrances to enter the fortress. So I took down the levees with loads of artillery and airstrikes. This resulted in the levees collapse and left the area under siege as a scarred mess.