A note to server owners:
This map has menu thumbnails, there is a .res file in the root of the archive, if you're putting this map on a server, simply place the .res in the server's /tf/maps folder along with the .bsp file.
The .res file is not needed in any way if you are not putting this map on a server.
Revision History (DD/MM/YY)
Beta 4 released 21/08/09:-
* Increased overall spawn times.
* Reworked tunnel from C to A to open closer to the capture building.
* Added an extension in a tunnel from C to B to facilitate a forward base from blu.
* Added an extra set of stairs up to the point at A.
* Added oil drums for cover on B.
* Increased length of RED's spawn exits and changed glass to wood.
* Increased number of signs.
* Fixed minor playerclipping issues.
* Player ragdolls now ignite upon death by solar-array-energy-beam
* Added 5 hidden rubber duckies.
Beta 3 released 24/06/09:-
* Reduced height of the tower dramatically.
* Moved crane on the B building out of the way of rooftop players.
* Increased the height of the ceiling playerclip at C.
* Greatly improved playerclipping.
* Increased danger of straying in the focus of the mirror array.
* Detailing improvements over entire map.
* Increased distance between cap point A building and the rear cliff.
* Slightly adjusted spawn timers and capture time at C.
* Added team ownership based spectator cameras.
* Slightly decreased intensity of sun glare and slightly increased light levels.
* Fixed soundscapes.
* Miscellaneous other tweaks.
* Detailed the entire map.
* Changed indoor stairs to cap C for improved ease of use.
* Slightly adjusted cap times and respawn wave times.
* Incorporated custom models from Snipergen and a texture from Void.
* Updated menu photos and created a quicklist thumbnail and accompanying .res file for servers.
* Implemented lightmap grid optimisation.
* Minor miscellaneous other changes.
Alpha 3 released 26/02/09:-
* Adjusted spawn timers slightly to aid balance.
* Upped capture times to aid defendability.
* Moved red spawn slightly further backwards.
* Added glass into windows at one entrance to C from A.
* Added cover to one entrance to C from B.
Alpha 2 released 10/02/09:-
* Renamed capture C to C
* Increased lighting in all indoor areas.
* Added more health over entire map.
* Increased cap times to closer to Gravelpit's (A/B longer, C faster).
* Unified red's spawn into one building and move it slightly further from C.
* Enlarged entire C area, making the building more open.
* Extended B building slightly providing more space inside and underneath as well as opening up the windows to allow shooting in/out easier.
* Opened up B's roof to be rocket jumped onto.
* Adjusted spawntimes so red take slightly longer and blu slightly less.
* Added A B and C indicators on HUD.
* Slightly shrunk the A arena.
* Reworked paths between points slightly.
* Moved blue's spawn so that (with only one door) they can see both exits.
Alpha 1 released 04/01/09:-
Copy "maps" and "materials" folder into your "tf" folder. Press "okay" for any warning messages.
Server Owners: .RES file in the "maps" folder will force download the Quick List menu thumb (in the materials folder). Whether or not you want to place this and the materials on your server is up to you.
-All members of TF2Maps.net -MangyCarface
No, no, no. It's not possible. A community map? Which makes me more excited that a VALVe one? Of course, only the 3 people worked on this map, can do this. I really wanted to remake the building at B, but after playing the map I said: Nah, it's not gonna work, everything in the map is perfect, from the proportions of the buildings right to the simplest prop positions. And I just LOVE the doors at BLU team's spawn. Way better that GravelPit for me.
Ok, now. There really are some places, which need a just a tiny little touch ups. I mean, some more details. I know Team Fortress 2 maps must NOT have tons of props, but the lack of them makes any map look bland.
On first screenshot, look at the left part, center heigh next to the stairs. Just place 1 pallet with 1 or 2 barrels on it, and a crate. It's going to be lovely. The building (which is my favourite thing in the map) itself from the inside, needs some things, like 1 tire pile, a barrel or 2. Nothing else. Oh and some things, that make it look like a loading zone. Maybe a little pile of gravel or sand will do just fine. And about the door at the far back. VALVe places most of it's details at door, because "players oftenly look at the doors, being ready for an enemy to come out". Place a sign, like the one with the skull on it. Place some rocks without collision on the ground in front and around the door. And, again with the details around doors, on the left of the door, place a electrical switchboard, or what was it. And don't forget to place a cow somewhere. Take the cow like a joke, but if you want, place it somewhere. If there is already a cow, before you ask, yes I played the map 3 times.
On screenshot 2. In the bulding to the down left, please, place some oil cans, that pile of metal rods/bars, and some other little things. And place a medkit there. If scouts need to get it, they will "sacrifice" some mobility to take it. I know it's beta, maybe you guys already planned on placing props there, but I just have to say it. Insinde the bulding with the point, under the stairs, in the corner, place a barrel or a rope/cable spool. and if it's a spool, place a thermos/termos on it, and maybe a lunch bad. Oh, and I really like the spot in front of the point, that little wooder fence/barrier. And place a ammopack on top of the rock (down, center).
In the third picture, well, almost no props. Only at the far left building (The RED spawn). The building on the very right of the picture (with the B on it) looks like it has very, VERY thin walls, and it's going to fall apart any moment. The big windows on red spawn, and the walls who are holding them, have the same problem. 4 units thicker, and everything is priceless. Place some rubble/rocks/tires on the ground with no collision. Place some train tracks (or maybe not) coming out and going in cave, which end with pitchblack texture, and cannot be accessed by players. I'm lazy to take some screenshot (it's 5 AM at my time).
For the skybox, yes really good and custom skybox texture, but just place some little things around the traintarck, I don't know what. The land around the tracks looks bland.
And the sun's angle looks kinda strange, rotate it down a bit. At least it looks strange from the screenshors, and ingame it looke a bit weird. Take a look at DustBowl for reference.
In general, perfect map, perfect textures, perfect lightning, perfect skybox texture, perfect everything. Can't wait for the official release.
The thing is love most: The building at B, the Laz0r, the stairs at A, the stairts at C (I don't know why), the light setting and color, the layout (simple, yet good looking and it's easy to remember) and the little area in front of A. And of course, the whole thing itself.
Very good job guys, I wish I had Your skills and imagination (and patience). Good luck finishing this little beauty. And I really hope VALVe makes this an official community map.
And I hope I was helpfull.
Pros: good job, you obviously put a lot of time on texturing your new buildings. Loved the far-west theme
Cons: you should fix the defender's spawn, an ennemy standing next to the door can shoot inside it. (tested with the scout standing on the left door of the red spawn)
Improvements: the gun could fire at the end or if you would have put the "solar panel and gun" theme more forward but hey it look very nice anyway :P
Notes: Notes: I am looking forward to play on it on our server when it has been approved, keep up the good work.
Pros: Beautiful environment, very different from the standard too, even if it is still a desert. The whole thing feels much more detailed now, nice new mountains in the background.
Laser now fires logically and is visible :)
I've seen good defences of A as well as B unlike gravelpit it doesn't seem to end up always at B second.
Always have fun on this map, as multiple classes (I play medic, pyro and soldier mainly, it's good for all three)
A good team can defend both A and B against poorly organised attacks, whilst an equally good offence can quickly dispach any defence if not organised well.
Cons: -The final point is still a bit polarised, it's either really hard for blue or really easy.
-It's not alpine.
Improvements: I still think there are a few slightly empty spots with nothing in them, those areas need some loving.
Posted by Bichosis
It's my idea, or all the tf2 maps are inspired in a desert and all use the same texture?
Almost all the tf2 maps are desert-themed, but there are some maps such as arena_lumberyard that break this rule
Great job you did here! I absolutely love the skybox and the overall lightning
PS: This map is absolutely great! I think Valve should consider adding this map to the official maps, it's simply awesome!