Ads keep us online. Without them, we wouldn't exist. We don't have
paywalls or sell mods - we never will. But every month we have large bills
and running ads is our only way to cover them. Please consider unblocking us. Thank you from GameBanana <3
Remake/edit of the original 1.6 menu background for HD (1920x1080) and other widescreen resolutions
Reworked classic CS 1.6 menu background
for Full HD (1920x1080) and other widescreen resolutions (stretched)
- XnView (for stitching together the original tga's)
- The Gimp (editing, exporting)
Credit goes to Valve for the original menu background
* now fixed: default background showing up during startup
See also: [Condition Zero classic HD background](http://www.gamebanana.com/cscz/guis/27157 "Condition Zero classic HD background")
> **Posted by hellmoss**
> Great work man! If you can make a tutorial for 1.6, you'll be more than awesome!
I'm sorry, I have no experience at doing video tutorials and I'm currently short of time.
The basic steps in Gimp were:
(1) Upscale the original 800x600 image to 1440x1080, using a sharp resizer
(2) Upscale the left portion of the image in horizontal dimension, to make the image 16:9. This, of course, creates unpleasant knees in those yellow curves that go across the image. I had to erase and recreate them. I also had to re-touch other areas where stretched and original content meet. So it was a lot of manual work.
(3) Sharpen the whole image with warp-sharp to hide the upscaling unsharpness in areas that must appear sharp.
(4) Manually smooth out unpleasant sharpening artifacts in some areas.
> **Posted by G.o.d.W.a.n.4.(TM)**
> this is amazing :D can u make one of cscz?
I'll be looking into that. However, it's going to be more difficult, because in the original CS:CZ background, there is no portion to the side of the image that can be arbitrarily stretched (blame that CT's shotgun to the left).
You may notice the default background showing up for a split-second during startup.
This is because of a wrong file name (my fault).
To fix it, rename "BackgroundLayoutLoading.txt" to "BackgroundLoadingLayout.txt" (in cstrike/resource folder).
This should immediately show the new background on startup. Again, apologies for this mistake.
* re-uploaded fixed archive