- This is a pack of alphabet textures for the purpose of editing the "SHINE!" animation, as well as "TOO BAD!", "READY", and "GO!".
- The game originally only had a limited set of characters, because not every letter in the alphabet was used.
- The textures go as follows: A, B, D, E, G, H, I, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, Y, and an exclamation point.
- This pack adds C, F, J, K, L, Q, V, X, Z, and a blank space character.
- Here's how it works.
- The alphabet texture set in the original game is located in data/game_6.szs, inside of the 'timg' folder.
- The actual animation file for controlling what letters the animation displays is in the 'scrn' folder, named 'big_tx_1.blo'.
- Normally, I would use a tool like blojob to edit this file, but that tool does not detect dependencies correctly, so the textures won't load.
- So, I've been doing it manually with a hex editor. Personally, I use HxD.
Here are the offsets for big_tx_1.blo:
0x6F-0x0A - big_tx_g.bti
0xB7-0xC2 - big_tx_o.bti
0xFF-0x10A - big_tx_ex.bti
0x14B-0x156 - big_tx_s.bti
0x193-0x19D - big_tx_h.bti
0x1DA-0x1E6 - big_tx_i.bti
0x223-0x22E - big_tx_n.bti
0x26B-0x276 - big_tx_e.bti
0x2B3-0x2BF - big_tx_ex.bti
0x2FF-0x30A - big_tx_t.bti
0x347-0x352 - big_tx_o.bti
0x38F-0x39A - big_tx_o.bti
0x3D7-0x3E2 - big_tx_b.bti
0x41F-0x42A - big_tx_a.bti
0x467-0x472 - big_tx_d.bti
0x4AF-0x4BB - big_tx_ex.bti
0x4FB-0x506 - big_tx_r.bti
0x543-0x54E - big_tx_e.bti
0x58B-0x596 - big_tx_a.bti
0x5D3-0x5DE - big_tx_d.bti
0x61B-0x626 - big_tx_y.bti
- You can change what the animation says by changing the letter in big_tx_*.bti in a hex editor.
- In the hex editor, you can't change the file size without the game crashing.
- If you want to replace an exclamation point with a letter, you have to copy and rename whichever letter you want to have one extra character for padding.
- What I usually do is copy the letter texture and add a character. For example, big_tx_dd.bti.
- Super Mario Sunshine's ARAM is already tightly packed, so be sure only to copy textures you need and delete extra textures you don't need.
- If you put too many textures into game_6, it takes up too much memory, and the the game spits out some hilariously broken results.
- Adding all of the textures from this pack will not make the game crash on its own. I have tested it many times. It only started becoming unstable when I added like 20 more textures into it.