Anyway, the changes mostly focused on the damage, knockback growth, and base knockback values, but I also modified the knockback angle for one attack as well. Not all attacks have been touched though.
The biggest changes have been given to Palutena's f-tilt (AttackS3) and Counter (ACA0F21E). F-tilt has gained much stronger knockback to compensate for its startup lag, along with a knockback angle adjustment, making it more effective to use than before. Counter's knockback has been increased as well, rivaling that of Ike's Counter now; the knockback increase makes Palutena's Counter much more usable than it ever was.
The download includes a text document, which displays all the changes that I've made onto Palutena's game.bin file.
It has been over a full year since I've released this hack. However, with FITX and Smash Forge now present, I decided to completely redo my edits to Palutena's moveset.
This brand new revision, now titled Palutena Buffed, took me several days to set up and try to balance, but it now offers several changes that I was never able to implement in the past revision, which includes the following...
- Standard Attack: The first hit, along with the multi-hit segment, now deals fixed knockback. As a result, the attack as a whole can completely bypass Bowser's tough guy trait. The final hit also receives a base knockback boost. However, the multi-hit segment deals less damage than before, dealing 0.5% damage per hit, instead of 0.8% damage. Can KO Bowser at around 170% damage if you land 6 hits, and are near a stage ledge.
- F-tilt: The attack's start-up lag has been reduced greatly. It also operates differently in that it now delivers multiple weak hits, followed by a stronger hit. The attack deals up to 7 hits, adding up to 12% damage. Can KO Bowser at around 130% damage when near stage ledges, and all 7 hits connect.
- U-tilt: The start-up lag is reduced, and deals up to 11 hits, adding up to 12% damage. KOs Mario at around 147% damage if all 11 hits connect.
- D-tilt: Damage dealt is increased to 10%, but suffers a base knockback nerf. However, despite the knockback nerf, the attack is now guaranteed to trip fighters at low damage percentages. Start-up lag is also reduced. KOs Bowser at around 156% damage when near a stage ledge.
- Dash Attack: Damage and knockback values have been altered. Clean hit KOs Mario at around 142% damage, while the late hit KOs Mario at around 328% damage.
- F-smash: The attack no longer has a sourspot, dealing up to 16% damage if it hits clean. However, after two frames, the damage dealt decreases to 13%. The windboxes still exist, but they now appear later than before. Uncharged clean hit KOs Mario at around 93% damage at the stage center, while a fully charged hit makes the KO at around 58% damage.
- U-smash: The weaker hitboxes deal more damage. Also, every hitbox shares the same knockback stats. Uncharged sweetspot hit KOs Mario at around 93% damage, while a fully charged hit KOs at around 58% damage.
- D-smash: The clean hit lasts for two frames before it deals less damage. The windbox executes later as well. Damage, knockback, and angle have all been altered, sending opponents flying at relatively low angles (25 degrees). Uncharged clean hit KOs Mario at around 103% damage at the stage center, while a fully charged hit makes the KO at around 65% damage.
- N-air: Attack now deals up to 10 hits, adding up to 14% damage. KOs Mario at around 145% damage at the stage center of Battlefield. Final hit uses the Sakurai Angle.
- F-air: Damage has been buffed, and uses the Sakurai Angle for knockback dealt. KOs Mario at around 136% damage at the stage center.
- B-air: Damage and knockback have been altered. KOs Mario at around 120% damage at the stage center.
- U-air: Attack now deals up to 7 hits, adding up to 11% damage dealt. KOs Mario at around 113% damage if he's on Battlefield's center platform, and takes all 7 hits.
- D-air: The attack now deals up to 12% damage, but only has one hitbox that has meteor smash properties. The meteor smash hitbox lasts for two frames, and can KO a grounded Mario at around 187% damage.
- Grabs: Palutena's grab range has been improved to an extent, but they do still execute a bit slower than the standard attack.
- F-throw: Deals 10% damage, and offers much better knockback than before. KOs Mario at around 134% damage when near a stage ledge.
- B-throw: Deals up to 11% damage. KOs Mario at around 121% damage when near a stage ledge.
- U-throw: Deals up to 10% damage, and sends opponents flying straight up. Less powerful than Mewtwo's u-throw, but can KO Mario at around 142% damage.
- D-throw: Deals up to 7% damage, but has the least KO potential of all throws, not being able to KO Mario by itself until his current damage reaches 473%. However, its knockback statistics enable Palutena to perform a follow-up with her n-air or u-air if she's fast enough.
- Autoreticle: The energy blasts now deal up to 4% damage, adding up to 12% damage if all of them hit. However, their knockback is still weak, not being able to KO Mario at the stage center until his current damage reaches 897%. Has the least KO potential of all of Palutena's special moves.
- Reflect Barrier: Attack now deals fixed knockback that can send even Bowser flying a decent distance, but it no longer has freeze frame properties.
- Counter: Knockback has been improved greatly, and no longer has to be sweetspotted. The counterattack has also gained unblockable properties, enabling it to bypass shields and opposing Counter moves. Can easily 1-hit KO Ganondorf if it blocks his Reverse Warlock Punch.
- Explosive Flame: Now deals up to 8 hits, adding up to 12% damage. The first 7 hits deal fixed knockback, while the final hit deals higher knockback as opponents take damage. KOs Mario at around 126% if all 8 hits connect.
- Angelic Missile: Deals up to 15% damage, and has some knockback buffs as well. KOs Mario at around 104% damage at the stage center.
- Heavenly Light: Attack now deals up to 45 hits before ending. Each hit only deals 1% damage, adding up to 45% if all of them hit a single fighter.
- Super Speed: Damage dealt has been altered a bit, enabling it to potentially deal up to 9% damage if Palutena travels a long distance. KOs Mario at around 382% damage if he takes 3% damage, while a 9% damage hit potentially KOs him at around 157% damage.
- Rocket Jump: Attack now deals 13% damage on the ground, and in the air. The ground and air variants also have a meteor smash hitbox, but they can only affect airborne fighters. The non-meteor hitbox KOs Mario at around 105% damage at the stage center.
- Celestial Firework: Damage has been adjusted for all hits. Deals up to 8% damage if all 5 hits connect, and can potentially KO Mario at around 135% damage.
- Black Hole Laser: Yup, even Palutena's Final Smash has been strengthened. The attack now deals a grand total of 45% damage, with the final hit dealing 21% damage and high knockback. A highly potent attack that can KO Mario as early as 10% damage if he's near a stage ledge.
- Other Attacks: All floor attack variants deal 7% damage and the same amount of knockback, regardless of if Palutena is knocked down or trips. The cliff attack has also been modified to deal 7% damage and fixed knockback.
Now, while this hack is designed to make Palutena a more viable fighter, she is at a disadvantage when fighting against metal fighters, as most of her attacks lack the knockback strength to keep them out of grab range. Fortunately, that can be mitigated a bit with the d-tilt's 100% trip rate, and Palutena can even follow up with a grab before the metal fighter has a chance to recover from the trip.
With that said, I'm glad that I've managed to get this moveset hack the way that I wanted it, since it took me days of mod rebuilding and in-game tests to ensure that Palutena isn't too overpowered; she's not Giga Bowser after all.
Note: This newly revised hack does not affect Palutena's mechanics or attributes. It only affects her moveset.
Palutena Buffed v2
After I released my new edits to Palutena's moveset, it turned out that I still had some things to fix up on it. This updated version affects the following...
- Standard Attack: The first hit now hits at around frame 3.
- F-tilt: Now hits at around frame 6.
- U-tilt: Now hits on frame 6.
- D-tilt: Now hits on frame 8.
- F-air: Now hits at around frame 7.
- D-air: Hitbox has been made larger, and it now lasts for 4 frames.
- Pummel: Palutena's pummel upon grabbing a fighter now deals damage at around frame 3, and she can also pummel faster than before. However, to keep the pummel's speed buff from being too overpowering, it now deals 2% damage per hit, instead of 3% damage.
- F-throw: Palutena throws her opponent at around frame 15.
- D-throw: Palutena throws her opponent at around frame 16.
- Explosive Flame: Animation duration is now set to normal speed, instead of being 1.2x slower. I also had to fix up a hitbox oversight, where only the aerial hitbox grew larger in size. The attack should now work properly against grounded fighters.
- Heavenly Light: Ending lag has been significantly reduced, enabling Palutena to move freely after frame 25, instead of having to wait for 53 frames to pass.
- Celestial Firework: Frame duration is now 1.2x faster, instead of 1.2x slower, enabling Palutena to utilize the attack better than before.
- Black Hole Laser: The final hit's knockback angle is now set to 40, while its knockback growth has been increased to 100. Much more effective as a KO move now, KOing Mario at Omega form stage centers in between 25% and 30% damage.
On a side note, the download now contains only the game.bin files, as you don't necessarily have to edit the other files if you alter the frame duration of any kind of command.
Palutena Buffed v3
While spending some time on some other moveset hacks, I learned some new tricks that prompted me to go back to this hack.
I've noticed a lot of times that Angelic Missile had one serious flaw in that practically any attack can stop it, no matter how weak it is; even Dr. Tornado laughs at that attack. And to make the issue even worse, making the attack clang and/or rebound does nothing, defensive hitboxes don't work, and bone intangibility doesn't work either.
Fortunately, giving Angelic Missile super armor properties solved the problem. Now, once Palutena starts moving forward, the attack can't be interrupted outside of grab moves, and the super armor lasts until the attack hitbox comes to an end. However, if the attack gets blocked by Counter moves, the counterattacks will strike after the super armor is turned off.
Also, the attack hitbox is now active sooner than before. As for the damage and knockback, that remains the same as in the previous version. Nothing else has been changed.
Palutena Buffed v4
This new update focuses on Palutena's Counter. When compared to all the other Counter moves, Palutena's Counter has one of the longest start-up durations, taking 10 frames before the counter window becomes active. But now, the start-up lag has been halved, enabling Palutena's counter window to begin on frame 5.
The ending lag (which comes after the counter window has ended) has been reduced as well, making the Counter animation last for 60 frames, instead of the original 75.
I also modified the counterattack by removing a hitbox that's pretty much redundant to have at this point. As a result, the counterattack has no sourspots at all, and much like with the previous updates, is still highly potent as a KO maker.
Nothing else has been modified for this update.
3/12/2018 Update - Palutena Buffed v5
Over half a year has passed since I've updated this moveset hack, but I've made some additional changes for this revision, which even includes Palutena's parameter data.
- Neutral Attack: The first hit now has less ending lag. The infinite portion of the attack has received a weaker fixed knockback value, but its hitlag and SDI have been lowered as well. The final hit's ending lag has been shortened along the way. Lastly, while the neutral attack's hitboxes can still clang with other hitboxes, Palutena will no longer rebound.
- F-tilt: Start-up is reduced further, and the looping hitboxes deal less hitlag, and have lower SDI. Ending lag is shorter as well.
- U-tilt: Start-up is reduced further, and the looping hitboxes deal less hitlag, and have lower SDI. Additionally, hitbox priority has been fixed so that the lower hitbox will have higher priority, instead of the upper hitbox, resulting in Mario getting KO'd at around 140% if all 11 hits connect. Ending lag is shorter as well.
- D-tilt: Start-up is reduced a bit further, and the ending lag is shorter as well.
- Dash Attack: Fighters will always be sent flying in front of Palutena if they collide with this attack's hitboxes.
- F-smash & D-smash: Script data has been modified so that the late hit uses a hitbox damage change action.
- N-air, F-air, & D-air: Start-up and ending lag have been reduced. The n-air's looping hitboxes also deal less hitlag, and have less SDI.
- B-air: Ending lag has been reduced.
- U-air: Start-up and ending lag have been reduced, and the autocancel window has been improved. Also, the looping hitboxes deal less hitlag, and have lower SDI.
- Grab: The grab range for Palutena's dash grab and turn grab have been increased a bit further. The dash grab's grab hitbox now becomes active one frame sooner. Ending lag has also been reduced for the standstill grab and dash grab.
- Pummel: Upon grabbing a fighter, Palutena can now pummel her target more frequently, thanks to an adjustment to the animation's interruptibility period.
- F-throw, U-throw, & D-throw: Adjustments to the start-up and ending lag periods have been made. This is especially notable for the d-throw, as the reduced ending lag helps Palutena get a follow-up in.
- Cliff Attack: The attack deals slightly stronger fixed knockback than before.
- Autoreticle: The energy projectiles have less SDI than before.
- Reflect Barrier: The single frame hitbox deals stronger fixed knockback than before. Also, reflected projectiles will now have their damage output increased by 1.2x.
- Warp: Landing lag has been shortened a bit.
- Counter: The counterattack's ending lag is now shorter than before.
- Explosive Flame: The ending lag has been reduced.
- Angelic Missile: Instead of super armor, the attack now has a damage-based heavy armor duration. Palutena will not flinch while the heavy armor is active, unless she gets hit by a hitbox that deals more than 15% damage.
- Jump Glide: Palutena can now keep Jump Glide active for 240 frames. Landing lag has also been shortened, but it's still longer than Warp's landing lag.
- Lightweight: Palutena receives a stronger boost for her ground and air mobility, with her walk speed and run speed receiving a 1.6x boost, while her air speed receives a 1.8x boost. The speed reduction during the cooldown period has also been adjusted to be less severe, with the walk speed and run speed multiplier being 0.6x, while the air speed's multiplier is 0.8x.
- Heavenly Light: The start-up duration has been decreased. Additionally, the flinchless knockback has been improved in that fighters will get pushed back more easily than before. However, the pushing effect is still stronger on the grounded fighters.
- Super Speed: The attack's hitbox is larger than before, and Palutena now receives damage-based heavy armor. However, its damage threshold is weaker than that of Angelic Missile, as Palutena will flinch from any hitbox that deals more than 5% damage.
- Rocket Jump: Palutena now gains a brief super armor period upon executing the attack. The meteor smash hitbox also receives a stronger BKB value, but it still only affects aerial targets. Lastly, the attack's landing lag has been reduced, but it still has the most landing lag of all of Palutena's up special move options.
- Celestial Firework: The firework and explosion no longer allow SDI to occur. Also, the intangible duration has been adjusted, alongside the start-up and ending lag periods. I did try to see if I could make the firework weight independent, but apparently you can't make weapon hitboxes have weight independent properties.
- Black Hole Laser: Some unnecessary hitboxes have been removed from the beam's script data. Still operates the same way as in the previous revision.
Palutena Buffed v5.1
After releasing version 5 of my Palutena Buffed hack, I decided to do some research on how to get the neutral attack to transition over to the infinite faster. Apparently, the key to doing that involves when the variable, 0x21000011, becomes active on the Attack11 script. But to have the infinite active faster while you're holding the attack button, I had to adjust when the variable, 0x2100000D, would activate.
Now, combined with the decreased start-up lag and decreased ending lag, Palutena can transition over to her infinite two frames after the jab's hitbox gets turned off, and this will happen, even while the attack button is held, but you do have to hit someone with the jab first.
There is one drawback to this change in that the jab's fixed knockback has been lowered down to 20, but it still deals enough knockback to make even Bowser flinch. On an additional note, the infinite's hitbox has been made slightly longer as well.
All the additions and changes from version 5 are present in this update, which especially includes Palutena no longer rebounding while using her neutral attack.
Palutena Buffed v5.2
This update is pretty much a tiny one that focuses on Angelic Missile. I've altered the hitbox timing a bit more so that it becomes active the instant Angelic Missile transitions over to the SpecialS2 portion of the animation. With that specific animation's frame speed value set to 0.7, the asynchronous timer's frame value had to be set to 0 if the hitbox wanted to activate on frame 1. Outside of the hitbox duration, nothing else has been changed.
All changes from versions 5 and 5.1 are present in this update.
Palutena Buffed v5.3
I have another new update for my Palutena moveset hack. This time, the focus is on her grabs.
The stationary grab's hitbox is now active on frame 6, is larger than before, and lasts for 4 frames. The dash grab and turn grab also experience a hitbox size increase, and last for 4 frames, with the dash grab's hitbox activating on frame 8, while the turn grab's hitbox activates on frame 10.
Basically, Palutena now has one of the shortest start-up periods for her stationary grab and dash grab (tied alongside Mario, Peach, Rosalina, Sheik, Kirby, and Pikachu), while her turn grab is still the third fastest (tied alongside Peach, Kirby, and Ness).
All the changes from the previous versions are also present in this update.
Palutena Buffed v5.4
I've made some more adjustments and improvements to some of Palutena's attacks. Changes include the following...
- F-tilt: The script has been modified so that the looping hitboxes now involve the use of the Set_Loop action. It still deals up to 7 hits, adding up to 12% damage, and the KO range is still the same as before. However, if one of the looping hits were to clang, the other hits would now be able to connect.
- U-tilt: The looping hitboxes now involve the use of the Set_Loop action. It still deals up to 11 hits, adding up to 12% damage, and the KO range is still the same as before. Ending lag is also reduced slightly.
- N-air: Adjusted the frame duration of the start-up period, and made the ending lag slightly shorter as well. Still deals up to 10 hits, adding up to 14% damage.
- F-air: Adjusted the start-up period, and decreased the ending lag further.
- U-air: The hitboxes now activate on frame 5. The looping hitboxes will deal 2% damage with the first hit, but the damage dealt decreases to 1% per hit afterwards. The whole attack deals 7 hits, adding up to 12% damage. KOs Mario on the center Battlefield platform at some point after 110% damage if all 7 hits connect. Ending lag is also shorter.
- D-air: Decreased the ending lag even further.
- Pummel: Adjusted the ending lag so that Palutena can perform repeated pummels at a slightly faster rate than before.
- Counter: The counterattack's hitbox now lasts for 5 frames, and receives a tiny boost to its BKB. The invincibility period is also longer, ending once the hitbox is turned off. Ending lag is also slightly shorter, but the frame duration did have to be altered a bit, due to the behavior of the effects that go with the attack.
Palutena Buffed v5.5
Another update has risen for this moveset hack. Anyway, here are the new changes that this update offers...
- Neutral Attack: A new variable has been added onto the jab portion of this attack. The variable, 0x21000013, enables Palutena to repeatedly use her jab while the attack button is held. This in return, makes it easier on the player, as you no longer have to tap the attack button to perform multiple jabs, but Palutena will transition over to her infinite upon hitting an opponent, or hitting a hitbox that can clang.
- Dash Attack: Ending lag has been decreased by 10 frames. Damage and knockback for the clean and late hits remain the same as in the previous updates.
- F-smash: The attack hitbox is slightly longer, and no longer has a late hit period. The windboxes also receive a knockback increase. Damage and knockback for the attack hitbox remains unchanged, so it will still KO Mario at 93% damage if he's positioned at the center of an Omega form stage.
- U-smash: Start-up lag is reduced a bit, enabling the attack to hit on frame 13. Damage and knockback remain the same as in previous updates, with the 16% damage hitbox KOing Mario at 93% damage.
- D-smash: Start-up lag is reduced a bit, enabling the attack to hit on frame 12. However, the frame speed multiplier gets set back to 1 before the charging period begins. The attack hitboxes no longer have a late hit period, while the windbox receives a knockback increase. Damage and knockback for the attack hitboxes remain unchanged, so they will still KO Mario at 103% damage if he's positioned at the center of an Omega form stage.
- Pummel: The pummel's hitbox now activates on frame 2. Animation is 24 frames long, and Palutena can do a new action on frame 14.
- D-throw: The throw's knockback is now more vertical than before, making it easier for Palutena to deliver a follow-up attack. However, this throw still has the least KO potential, not being able to KO Mario on its own until his current damage hits 443%.
- Autoreticle: The energy projectiles now deal better knockback than before. However, even with the knockback increase, they're still not able to make KOs until a fighter's current damage goes well beyond realistic levels. An energy projectile will KO Mario at 646% damage if he's positioned at the center of an Omega form stage.
Palutena Buffed v6
Another new update for Palutena has arrived. The following changes have been made in this update...
- F-tilt: Increased the size of the hitboxes, and the final hit's KBG is stronger. If all 7 hits connect, they can KO Mario on the edge of an Omega form stage at around 109% damage.
- D-tilt: Increased the size of the hitbox, and its frame duration has been made larger. Damage and knockback remain unchanged, and the 100% trip rate is still present.
- Dash Attack: The clean hit's KBG is slightly stronger, enabling it to KO Mario at 140% damage. The late hit remains unchanged, and still KOs Mario at 342% damage.
- N-air: Increased the size of the looping hitboxes. Overall KO potential remains unchanged, being able to KO Mario at some point after 140% damage when all 10 hits connect, and Mario is placed at the center of an Omega form stage.
- F-throw: BKB has been increased, while the KBG is reduced. However, it can KO sooner than before, KOing Mario at around 125% damage when he's on the edge of an Omega form stage.
- B-throw: BKB and KBG are slightly stronger, improving this throw's KO potential further. KOs Mario at around 114% damage when he's on the edge of an Omega form stage.
- U-throw: BKB has been increased, while the KBG is reduced. KOs Mario at 141% damage.
- D-throw: BKB has been reduced slightly, causing it to KO Mario at 453% damage. However, the small BKB drop does help Palutena land her follow-up options (such as the n-air and u-air) more easily than before.
- Angelic Missile: BKB is stronger, and the hitbox's size is slightly larger. KOs Mario at 100% damage when he's placed on the center of an Omega form stage.
- Rocket Jump: BKB is stronger, enabling the attack to KO Mario at 102% damage when he's placed on the center of an Omega form stage. The meteor smash hitbox remains unchanged.
- Black Hole Laser: The final hit's BKB is stronger, further improving this Final Smash's KO potency.