While ZSS has been on the chopping block for a while (until her eventual resprite which will 100% make this mod obsolete), it's clear that she wasn't returning to Crusade at all until she had a makeover. This mod aims to accomplish to combine the best of official Smash movesets along with Crusade's take, while at the same time giving her a makeover that feels almost right at home with the other resprited characters.
Here are ZSS's most important changes besides obvious frame data changes for sprites.
- Now has a three hit jab. It's quite fast, just like the source.
- Up Tilt improved tenfold
- Dash Attack redone to be akin to Brawl's, but now it kills. I think.
- Up Smash completely redone to be akin to her old Up Special. The whip's hitbox has impressive range, but has not enough knockback to kill effectively. On top of this, dashing before doing an Up Smash allows ZSS to shimmy slightly to the direction she's going, and she can grab onto ledges above her (to my surprise.)
- Down Smash has much more knockback, giving you the option to style on an opponent with a taunt or to extend your punish further.
- Nair has more accurate knockback and angle to her Ult nair.
- Fair is used more primarily as a horizontal combo extender rather than a kill move, but it still can KO when you're close to blast zones.
- The same can be said with her Up Air, but now vertically.
- Down Air has been restructured to prevent easy meteors at 50 :)
- Her grab has been completely redone. It's now a regular standing grab that trades range for more potential for throw setups. Project M definitely influenced that change.
- Her Up Throw and Down Throw have been adjusted somewhat to be akin to the source game, hopefully with the same usage.
- Up Special has been completely changed to Boost Kick. Like the official games, this is a strong KO option from the top, and deals a lot of damage to boot. The downside to change this special is that it's height isn't stellar, mostly vertical usage rather than horizontal. It also trades the range of her last recovery.
This mod doesn't replace anything except what used to be ZSS lmao
Like the Samus mod before this one, this one uses a certain other Smash-related fangame's sprites. Unlike the dude who made the Samus mod, I don't have balls of steel and won't use these certain sprites after this mod, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna let them take it down.
It's of course nice to keep your work to yourself, but it's been 7/5 years since the version she came out, and don't you think it's been a little too long? Like the other dude said, these sprites are much higher quality and I'm not getting money out of it. I'm just here hoping people will like it.
Also shout outs to the artist(s). Idk who you or yall are, but I'd love to know who made these sprites. You rock anonymous person(s)!