The Sword That Sealed The Darkness is a small expansion to the Master Sword quest chain, intended to rebalance the early hours of Breath of the Wild, and offer an alternative rebalance to weapon durability.
Following Ganon's victory, Zelda hid the legendary Master Sword within Deku Forest. But as time passed, the Master Sword grew weaker, and its two halves separated --- the blade remaining under the careful eye of the Deku Tree, and the hilt guarded by the ever patient Sheikah.
Ideally, this mod would be played blind, with durability enabled, from the start of a new game. It is, however, fully compatible with existing saves. If you're lost (or just curious), the exact changes have been detailed here.
Changes- During your first conversation with Impa, you will be given an unbreakable, extremely weak weapon called the Broken Sword. It's barely stronger than the soup ladel, and has a range to match. In the unmodded game, players often report avoiding fights entirely, especially in Master Mode, due to the constant stressor that is weapon durability. The Broken Sword aims to correct this issue without removing durability as a mechanic entirely, by providing the player with a reliable fallback during fights, just in case things get truly desperate.
- Obtaining the Master Sword now requires the Broken Sword in your inventory, as well as the previous requirement of thirteen hearts. The sword pulling animation has been updated. It was not easy to do that, no, thank you for asking.
- The Master Sword is now unbreakable, and its attack has been lowered by ten points to compensate. This should ensure that the sword feels powerful and consistently useful, while still giving the player an incentive to switch things up situationally.
- The Master Sword remains in a slightly tarnished state, even after it's recovered — at least for a bit. It's a metaphor for Link's failure and trauma, y'all, it shouldn't jump straight back to mint condition.
An alternate build has been provided for players who want to use this mod with the Master Sword's original attack and durability. I would sincerely recommend you use the default package, unless your game has been heavily rebalanced through other mods.
Although this mod doesn't expand The Trial of the Sword, it may in future, and as such currently requires at least the first DLC pack to be installed.
CompatibiltyThis mod should be fully compatible with any other mod that doesn't modify the Master Sword, or any of the following events, or their associated animations.
- Demo202_0 (starting the trial of the sword at the Master Sword's altar)
- Demo300_0 (pulling the Master Sword from the altar)
- Demo380_0 and Npc_Kakariko001 (Impa's first and regular conversations, respectively)
CreditsThis mod owes everything to H2714's Tarnished Master Sword mod. The model and textures have been used here, with permission.
To Do (Maybe)
- I'd love to add a little more meaning to The Trial of the Sword by giving every tier of the sword its own model and texture, and maybe unlock more of the sword's powers each time. This would require creating a new custom weapon for each tier, however, which would raise issues for anyone who wishes to uninstall this mod. So I'm going to leave this on the "maybe" pile. That said, if anyone figures out how to make non-Weapon_Sword_070 weapons actually recharge, hit me up immediately, and I'll make this happen.
- Your first meeting with the Deku tree is a little weird. Since that event is stored in a bfevtm file, which isn't easily editable, the Master Sword will appear as normal.
- Any other mods that tweak the Master Sword's appearance will cause a very brief visual inconsistency when you try to pull it from the altar. This could probably only be fixed by a) new custom models, or b) even sneakier camera angles, or c) a complete animation replacement for Demo300_0, that I am quite honestly not skilled enough to implement myself.