It was fun learning what could be done with the 3 types of events SA2 has (Main, In-game and FMVs) to line it up with the original video. Namely - making code run on specific frames of each event, such as cutting parts that the video skipped over.
This was made using files from Cutscene Revamp, so I'd suggest playing it with that for the best experience. You can still go without it fine , but some screen effects and lighting will be different to the vanilla game.
Here's a full list of changes, though I'd recommend trying it out for yourself first before looking:
- Trimmed each event to match what's shown in the video.
- Uses E0XXX_X files from Cutscene Revamp.
- Audio is played through a single voice clip that starts as soon as the event begins.
- Delayed the end of scenes where the audio continues after cutting to black.
- Added the dub's intro as an FMV at the end of the first scene.
- Audio was amplified to balance it with the rest of the game, especially during gameplay. Some clipping can be expected but isn't too much of a problem. (Please tell me if there's any bad moments and I'll get them improved.)
- Forced Big to always appear as he's needed to confuse Knuckles after fighting Rouge.
- Removed some in-game voices when new ones are used to not ruin the flow (Knuckles won't talk about the Master Emerald after complaining about being lost in space)
- Removed timestamps that aren't in the video. The only ones left are 3 that precede stages (Sand Ocean, Egg Quarters, Route 280.
- Used the mini-event in Sky Rail to make Pumpkin Hill's theme play there while in Story mode.
- Cut down mini-events that aren't in the video.
- Removed subtitles for Dark Story. (Too much of a pain for the initial release, means re-pointing the entire sub list, hoping each event has enough slots and making sure playing in German or something won't break anything.)
- Removed Dark Story's (now unused) voices from event_adx_e.afs to save space.
- Forced FMVs to always use the first audio track. This forces Japanese for vanilla files but means it's a lot easier to add new ones, since otherwise they won't have sound unless playing with Japanese voices or adding a second audio track (Which doesn't seem to have any easy way of doing to .SFD files yet).
- Only uses the above custom FMVs and audio track code when playing Dark Story. There are no errors if playing through Hero or Last.
- Added events from the Hero Story dub where gaps were left in Dark (Most of Knuckles and Rouge etc.). However, this can be disabled through the mod's config.
- Added the isolated Day X event as an optional choice in the mod's config.
- Added Optional Lip Syncing for E0105 (Eggman after Sand Ocean).
- To avoid replacing the Japanese AFS and adding on another 75MB, the mod forces the Voice Language to English if you try to play Dark Story with Japanese voices. It'll take effect the next time it loads gameplay. The game can still be played with any Text Language, but the only difference is the language the timestamps use.
- Doesn't modify the story's structure in any way. Skipped events show a black screen for 1 frame, just like the time-stamp only events used before stages.
Original Dub Credits (Copied from YouTube):
Sonic - https://twitter.com/SnapsCube
Shadow - http://www.youtube.com/chongoshow/
Tails and Rouge - http://www.twitter.com/bluespacequeen/
Knuckles and Amy - http://www.youtube.com/hayleycopter/
Eggman - http://www.twitter.com/paperboxhouse/
Real-Time Fandub created by Charley Marlowe
SnapCube's Patron list
Any suggestions? Tell me in the comments!