This mod attempts to fix balance issues within the game by “attenuating” the power curve so that there will be a smaller difference between the weapons/armor/enemies at the beginning of the game and the weapons/armor/enemies at the end of the game. This way the power curve will be more linear and less quadratic, and hopefully make the game feel more consistent.
Rationale for this mod:
- There are a number of weapons in the game which I would consider my favorites. I prefer to use those favorites whenever possible, but most of them are things like Zora and Rito weapons which are not high-end weapons. I find it frustrating that my favorite weapons will eventually become obsolete compared to Royal, Ancient, or Savage Lynel weapons.
- If that was my only concern about the game then it would be easy to fix by just modifying the stats of my favorite weapons. However, I also had concerns about weapon balance in general, especially how the beginning weapons and late game weapons were so wildly different. For example, the Royal Broadsword is more than seven times as powerful as the Traveler’s Sword. Meanwhile, 4* armors are around seven times as strong as unupgraded armors. Combine these issues with the fact that Silver and Golden monsters have ridiculously high health and it starts to feel like the beginning of the game and the end of the game are no longer the same game. This issue is compounded by the non-linearity of the game, because if you know where to find strong weapons early on then it disrupts the game balance even more.
Summary of changes:
- For a more detailed description of the changes, follow this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13aNpUF2jy9d_DbfTX6mxZlOyK6JevCiokbViJzSOccU/edit?usp=sharing
- Reduced the large difference in effectiveness between strong and weak weapons, so that weaker weapons remain useful for longer and are less likely to become completely obsolete.
- Reduced the large difference in damage between two-handed weapons, one-handed weapons, and spears.
- Changed the way weapon scaling works in order to increase the weapon variety in the later parts of the game.
- Reduced the large difference in health between weak enemies and strong enemies.
- Reduced the large difference in defense strength between un-upgraded armors and fully-upgraded armors.
- Improved internal consistency within weapon families and between different monster types.
- This mod will work just fine on Normal Mode, but is intended to be used with Master Mode.
- Make it so all armor pieces can be upgraded, especially DLC armors.
- Reduce the number of hearts recovered from eating food.
- See if it is possible to change the rate at which Heart Containers and Stamina Wheel upgrades are gained.
- See if it is possible to increase how often weapon bonuses (white/blue/yellow) occur.
- Enemy scaling and weapon scaling are not working correctly. Enemies are not upgrading to stronger forms when they should. Weapons will sometimes get white/blue/yellow bonuses before they should.