Let's just face it: the community is one big bin of toxicity, drama, unfunny memes and especially, the majority mods that either are bevel abuse, the game but with a different schoolhouse, and so much more. I can't even express how the Baldi community (specifically the modding community, but that doesn't mean the other Baldi communities don't have issues either) could just be considered the worst modding community, if not the worst community in general.
There are two parts of the Baldi community that I have a lot of issues with, the modding community (should be clear to you) and the YouTuber community (mainly the clickbait YouTubers such as BaldiTM, called just Baldi on his YouTube channel).
1. The Modding CommunityIt's already obvious why the Baldi modding community is obnoxious enough to be an actual problem on the GameBanana website. It's followed by children/teens/manchildren who can't handle criticism/feedback (no offence) and try anything to cause drama and arguments at the last minute as well as some others being the kind of people who don't even read both the community and site rules before even submitting.
Not only they're overall a pain to deal with in this site, similar cases happen to in GameJolt and itch.io (ModDB and mod.io aren't that used by the community, so I'm not mentioning them) and the community ain't that different between websites/platforms, if not worse. At least give GB the benefit of the doubt, they may be strict but at least they can enforce their own rules while the two other sites don't enforce their rules outside of certain scenarios.
This is not only on those sites though, they're also on Discord and the Baldi modding server is the same level of toxicity as the section itself as well as being full of unfunny humour.
About Baldi modding, for me, people seem to mostly do it for the sake of attention (like getting views and having the mod played by YouTubers) while I mostly do it just for the sake of learning C# and Unity via trial and error. The thing regarding the attention is that the most popular MediaGamesGuide Baldi mod video is an Oddbods Baldi mod that didn't even have any actual effort put into it, followed by Super Duper Fast Edition (which is meh nowadays) and followed with your average MaxPesky Baldi mod and just shows how parts of the MGG community love mods that don't have that much effort compared to one that took time and effort to make.
Every time I submit a mod nowadays, sometimes people blindly brush it off as "iT's A dEcOmPiLe MoD!1!1!" without even checking the code or y'know, how the thing's distributed, that even the category name isn't enough to have people not consider something this if it ain't labelled that.
No wonder I "evolved" from bevel and inner shadow effect abuse garbage (aka Zayden's Basics) to Baldi but I bloat the scripts with base64 or things to make embedded resources work. Even then, I still hated my Baldi mods with a passion (besides Nostalgia Trip, Empty School, some of the scrapped mods (except Zay's Lectures cause it still was bad despite the "improvements") and the mod I was working on before I eventually discontinued it as it would take forever to add everything back with a few more things) and I only modded Baldi nowadays to know C# more clearly through trial and error (spoiler alert: I used to not know that you could use string.StartsWith("text") instead of string.Remove(the length of "text") == "text" or that foreach loops even existed!) and I am getting the hang of it know that I may apply said knowledge to Java and Unity soon (meaning I may make Minecraft mods in a way I never experienced before).
If the majority of the mods usually are just plastering stock images, bevel and crap into it or Baldi but it's just with a different schoolhouse were bad enough, the community's attitude just makes some of their mods look like gold. There has been like drama on Discord everythere related to the Baldi community, from:
- Huge hateboner towards kids/trolls such as Tymek
- The Moldy vs. Dat (used to be called Modls vs. Zach) drama
- People in Kwysocki243's old Discord server attacking me cause I moderated their submission
- Someone discriminating someone cause of their (possible OC's) hair
- All the vandalised Limon mods and drama against Limon himself (I don't care about Limon anymore, he may have a kink but that's normal, I also do)
- The drama between T5mpler and CyndaquilDAC which also founded a cult that slandered Cyn cause he didn't know what he was doing in the first place
- Someone exposing people just because they said something against him
- All the drama in and towards Kwysocki243's Discord server
- You-know-who outside of Game Jolt and itch.io
- The drama towards Isaacthemoddergames for no actual reason, making him act like an asshole
- People begging others to unflag their mod
2. The Baldi YouTube(r) CommunityPeople may defend them but I understand why, maybe it's the reason you found about Baldi. The thing regarding them is that only a few of them respect the people in the community and don't treat them like a way to deliberately fill their videos to the ten minute mark, put ads in them and use them for the sake of monetization and ad revenue. I understand some of them do this for a living, but why use a dang alt if the focus of it is to make more money out of it?!
All Baldi YouTubers have a comment section community which may be as bad as the Baldi section itself. When I mean that, I'm going to list the things you can find in the average Baldi YouTuber's video's comment section:
- YouTube spam bots (obviously)
- Annoying nth comments ("first", "second", "third", etc.)
- Drama comment chains
- Comments begging the YouTuber to heart them
- Pointing out of obvious things
- Things that aren't related to the video or that are completely unnecessary
- Porn link spam bots (mostly seen in BaldiTM's videos)
- People praising/trash-talking the mod itself
Another thing is that most Baldi YouTubers when they play Baldi mods, they often choose whatever one that doesn't even have effort at all and give them their undeserved attention, meaning kids can easily spam the site with rushed mods and despite the moderation being 'too strict', YouTubers show whatever dreaded abomination they can find, ruining the community's image more than what it already is.
Even if the mods they pick are terrible, the majority are already bad, so why should I worry about that? It's already obvious why.
3. Other BitsI began hating the Baldi era when a lot of people were making bad mods, which in old Baldi mod quality logic, anything that doesn't mod the audio clips is low-quality/bad in general. Later in early-mid 2019, I realized Zayden's Basics was pretty awful and I hated it, so I tried to make the same mod but with a fresh coat of paint, and I thought poorly drawing everything and dithering them was a good idea, then later realized later on in 2020 that it wasn't a good idea at all and scrapped it for good.
I decided to apply for Baldi manager cause I thought my bad moderation acts on a Discord server weren't bad enough (in other words, I would keep making thousands of changes to the server without asking) and somehow, I did. But in the period that I became manager for the section, shit went downhill.
A friend of mine began to associate a stupid ship in Tupperbox roleplays 24/7 and thus began me slowly breaking apart my friendship with him. It wasn't until earlier in 2020 when someone made a rant on him and I think there might be a point that I'm officially not friends with him anymore.
Because of all the drama that is happening right now, I don't think I should be part of this community if all this screams is toxicity. When lockdown began in the UK, I started focusing more on playing Minecraft in a server with friends just to forget about the Baldi drama a bit more, and I think I should begin to do other things than Baldi.
So yeah, I'm leaving the Baldi community and Baldi modding. This does not mean I'm leaving GameBanana, though!
It was fun while it lasted, and thank you guys for the support.
However, I'm still going to try to moderate the section once in a while, it will be that I'm not longer going to interact with the community much.
P.S. I will still fully support any mature/non-toxic member in the community.
P.S.S. I'll still do Unity things, but in a way they're not Baldi related. However, just because I'm leaving the community doesn't mean I will stop experiencing Baldi as a whole, meaning I'm still going to play official Baldi content (aka Baldi's Basics Plus).
P.S.S.S. You can see my Bitpit for things I didn't release.