New F.E.A.R. Expantion

Hey, you! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending theFLASH points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Join GameBanana

Already a Bananite? Login

I spelled expansion wrong.

I came across this whilst browsing the archives of IGN. I figured some of you may find it interesting, so I'm posting it. Here's the article:
F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate Hands-on We test out the second expansion. HD direct-feed included. by Charles Onyett September 27, 2007 - On both sides of your computer monitor, the F.E.A.R. universe is a truly tumultuous place. Monolith Productions, the studio behind the original game, recently settled on a title for their full sequel, Project Origin. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, the subject of this preview is the second expansion to Monolith's original, developed by TimeGate Studios, the folks behind the first expansion pack, Extraction Point. Things start to get a little hazy, however, if you look a little further into the future. Sierra, the publisher behind the first title and the two expansion packs, still owns the rights to the F.E.A.R. name. That's why Monolith had to come up with a new one, using a fan submission contest to do so, under their new publisher, Warner Brothers Interactive. TimeGate can still use Alma and the rest of the staple elements from F.E.A.R. in Perseus Mandate because it builds on the original. Sierra cannot use any of that in the sequel we're assuming they'll eventually announce, though they can use the F.E.A.R. title. Monolith, on the other hand, was stripped of the title, but has the rights to the rest of the intellectual property, like characters and such. Make sense? Don't care? Just want to dismember things in slow motion with laser carbines? Fair enough. Perseus Mandate, from the beginning parts we shot our way through, plays precisely like F.E.A.R. and Extraction Point. In fact, the environments at the beginning of the game look almost identical to those in F.E.A.R, set in underground parking garages, darkened office buildings, and grayish corridors. The storyline is a little different, however, as you follow a second F.E.A.R. squad in a timeline that runs concurrently with the original. As the first F.E.A.R. team is making its way through the Armacham facility, you're sent in with a team to uncover Perseus, whatever that may be. The action starts with you and a F.E.A.R. team dropping out of a plane near Armacham and landing in some dry viaducts on your way to an ATC Data Center, where you're supposed to retrieve some kind of vital information. On the way you learn a Delta Squad had previously been dispatched to the same location but dropped out of communication, a development that's added to your list of objectives. During the sections we played, we didn't encounter Paxton Fettel (villain from the original game), though he was mentioned at the beginning. Apparently the significance of Perseus is supposed to dwarf that of Fettel, though we find that hard to believe considering his involvement with releasing Alma in the first game. Of course we'll have to play more to find out for sure. The little girl in the red dress does appear to be involved in some way. We didn't get to actually see her, but a few radio messages received as we wandered around the shadowed, bleak environments suggested one team member experienced a sighting. Since the game takes place before the revelatory events at the end of F.E.A.R., nobody really knew who she was or what she stood for, so the report is brushed off as nonsense. Many enemies from the first game return in Perseus Mandate, from the armored Replicants and Heavy Armors to the ATC squad members. Through the course of the first interval, you'll square off against all of them, pick up a reflex booster, grenades, health packs, armor power-ups, and everything else you'd expect. You also get one new weapon: the grenade launcher. This thing is quite the entertaining weapon, as it can rapidly trigger multitudes of those lovely, shock-wave explosions in a short span of time, sending enemies flipping every which way. Another new addition to the arsenal, called the advanced rifle, can be picked up near the beginning of the second interval. Though it behaves in a similar fashion to the standard scoped rifle, it features an infrared scope to pierce through the thick clouds of dust so frequently kicked up during combat. New enemy types called Nightcrawlers coincide with the appearance of the advance rifle. They look fairly similar to Replicants, and, from what we experienced, behaved the same as well, though from a screen we just uploaded it appears they can stick to ceilings. What we didn't get to see is the electric arc gun which, as the name strongly implies, can fire out bright electrical blasts to wreak havoc upon enemy synapses. Radio and phone messages will again serve as the primary storytelling device. For those who crave profanity in their dialogue, rest assured the f-word will be tossed out on more than one occasion. Lines like "****, help me!" and "Heavy armor, ****!" were uttered by squad members during the first interval. Speaking of squad members, it seems a few will tag along nearly everywhere you go in this expansion, proving moderately helpful during fights by drawing enemy fire. One thing that seemed to be lacking were F.E.A.R.'s trademark scare sequences. Since Fettel and Alma seems somewhat disconnected from this game, we're not sure yet who the primary, freakish antagonist may be. It wasn't until we came upon an empty industrial yard populated with pipes and metal planks (where have we seen that before?) that we actually jumped up and ripped off our headphones. While descending a ladder, we heard the now familiar static crackling of the "origin unknown" transmissions that coincide with supernatural events. A man suddenly appeared beyond the ladder, sauntering into an alleyway. We followed, naturally, after reaching the ground, only to find an empty alley with a first aid kit. Upon turning around, we saw the man had reappeared directly behind us, and was spouting some line with a heavy reverb effect on his voice. Since we'd torn off our headphones at this point, we had to reload the game to try and make out what he actually says. The audio distortion on his voice unfortunately made it very difficult to do. But no matter; the ghostly gent was someone we hadn't seen before in previous games, so perhaps he's the new villain. In accordance with F.E.A.R. tradition, the ghost ended his appearance by flaking away into nothingness. Though the environments, visuals, and sounds may be nearly identical to the original game, Perseus Mandate still boasts an entertaining combat model. We'll be back to let you know if it holds up the rest of the way through when we review this game closer to it's November release date. PC gamers will find it available as a standalone expansion, and Xbox 360 gamers can play by picking up the F.E.A.R. Files retail box, which also includes Extraction Point. source
Here's a video: I'll put some images up soon, but what do you guys think of so far?

• 10y
    blerb avatar
    blerb Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,444 points Ranked 3241st
    9 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    I was hoping for the name to be Dead Echo, but meh.
    A million light reflections pa avatar
    Mantra
    A million light reflections pa
  • 10y
    theFLASH avatar
    theFLASH avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    182,371 points Ranked 16th
    15 medals 2 rare
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    Posted by blerb

I was hoping for the name to be Dead Echo, but meh.

It's an expansion to the first game, not a sequel. It comes out in November.
    Herp Derp avatar
    Mantra
    Herp Derp
  • 10y
    fugitsu-blackhole avatar
    fugitsu-blackhole avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    117,087 points Ranked 24th
    16 medals 1 legendary 3 rare
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    You spelled expansion wrong.
    Mantra
  • 10y
    sssnake avatar
    sssnake Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    35,048 points Ranked 119th
    I thought he meant explanation.
    I TURN MAH PC TO DA SIDE avatar
    Mantra
    I TURN MAH PC TO DA SIDE
  • 10y
    Zomboid avatar
    Zomboid Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Yeah, looks good. But Project Origin looks even better. Though not being an expansion but the sequal it self.
    Blow me. avatar
    Mantra
    Blow me.
  • 10y
    h4mx0r avatar
    h4mx0r avatar Offline
    Member Joined 15y
    31,754 points Ranked 135th
    13 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Time Traveler Mapping Contest Submitter Medal icon
    Posted by fugitsu

You spelled expansion wrong.

Argh, I feel compelled to point this out to you a second time.
    it's pronounced "ham-saur avatar
    Mantra
    it's pronounced "ham-saur
  • 10y
    Minken avatar
    Minken Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    If you follow up in this world then you will notice that the trailer and info on this game has been out for almost a month now.
    but hey. ME FUCKING WANT.
    Mantra
    "You're messing with the wrong
  • 10y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    3,743 points Ranked 1217th
    FUCK YEAH! More fear, more action, more wet pants, wo-freaking-ho!
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 10y
    Minken avatar
    Minken Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Bun bun = fun fun XD
    Mantra
    "You're messing with the wrong
  • 10y
    S.T.A.R.S Punisher avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    252 points Ranked 14891st
    Me thinks there needs to be less work on expansions and more work put into the sequel to make it superb.
    Blaarrg.
  • 10y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Punisher113

Me thinks there needs to be less work on expansions and more work put into the sequel to make it superb.

No worries, the sequel will be good, cause they are all ready almost done with this expansion since it's said that it will be out in November.
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 10y
    Smith avatar
    Smith Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    1,302 points Ranked 3593rd
    It's an expansion, and it looks good but I don't see anything innovating yet...
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas avatar
    Mantra
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • 10y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Smith001

It's an expansion, and it looks good but I don't see anything innovating yet...

It's just an expansion, you just continue on with the story.......but Project Origin will rock!
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 10y
    ScareCrowe avatar
    ScareCrowe Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    142 points Ranked 22226th
    8 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    Project Origin will rock because Monolith got to keep Alma but lost the F.E.A.R. name. It seems Vivendi wants to kick out a few more expansions to cash in then move on. There is even going to be a flame thrower and a laser cannon in Project Origin. It focuses not so much on the nameless pointman from F.E.A.R. but more on a team of guys across town who know something happened but not exactly what.
    Come and take them. avatar
    Mantra
    Come and take them.
  • 10y
    markslo1 avatar
    markslo1 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    1,787 points Ranked 2627th
    Well the story should end on F.E.A.R. Because the big boom goes, and alma dies ( not sure tho, the old her get on the helikopter ). There should be the end of Alma. I dont want alma because she is just too scary. She's even scarier if she's ''the old'' her. Like in the end where you have to escape the building. I want a new threat, like horror man or somethin.
    OPEN UP YOUR HEARTS PEOPLE! avatar
    Mantra
    OPEN UP YOUR HEARTS PEOPLE!
  • 10y
    Electronica Deea avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    5,217 points Ranked 882nd
    10 medals 1 rare
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Awesome, sounds really good. I believe it's one of the best games ever. My opinion. :)
    electronic girl! avatar
    Mantra
    electronic girl!
  • 10y
    Jorden avatar
    Jorden Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    580 points Ranked 7548th
    Project Origin LOOKS sweet/freaky with that fast moving funny sound making creature
    Veteran Noob Smasher avatar
    Mantra
    Veteran Noob Smasher
  • 10y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Jorden

Project Origin LOOKS sweet/freaky with that fast moving funny sound making creature

The funny sound would not be so funny once you play the game alone in the dark........
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 10y
    theFLASH avatar
    theFLASH avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    15 medals 2 rare
    Posted by RME

Posted by Jorden

The funny sound would not be so funny once you play the game alone in the dark........

/truth. This game is scarier than any horror movie I have ever seen.

Herp Derp avatar
    Mantra
    Herp Derp
  • 10y
    blackop773643 avatar
    Member Joined 12y
    24,803 points Ranked 175th
    I want all the FEARS on Steam. That way I'll re-buy them. Jackass stole my Collectors edition.
    Mantra
  • 10y
    boriska808 avatar
    boriska808 Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    1,082 points Ranked 4302nd
    I'm downloading the demo ^^
    ^,,.^ avatar
    Mantra
    ^,,.^
  • 10y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Blah.........the demo was pretty sucky in my opinion. nothing new basically, but still i bet the complete game will be better then just the demo!
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 10y
    tpskjarhead avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    18,712 points Ranked 231st
    Without alma I don't think the game will have the same intensity.
    AnonymousZao aka tpskjarhead. avatar
    Mantra
    AnonymousZao aka tpskjarhead.
  • 10y
    RME avatar
    RME Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by tpskjarhead

That's for sure. I mean i feel like a little pussy by being afraid of a little girl.......
    You Can't See Me avatar
    Mantra
    You Can't See Me
  • 10y
    xxxgamer avatar
    xxxgamer Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    5,303 points Ranked 858th
    Damn that looks good :D
    Im XXX
  • 10y
    theFLASH avatar
    theFLASH avatar Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    15 medals 2 rare
    Posted by tpskjarhead

The series gets a new paranormal fiend for you to fear in this expansion. I believe it is a very creep-tastic old guy.
    Herp Derp avatar
    Mantra
    Herp Derp

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

theFLASH avatar