Counter-Strike: Source Icon CS:S Thread

Stuck trying to convert CSS skin to CS 1.6

Hey, you! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending PartyOnINSANE points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

long story short  i've come quite fond of aimable M4 skins and what not but i already have like.. all 6 of them, and was wanting something new to get a feel for.
So i hopped over to the CSS skin section and got some from there to convert myself to CS 1.6

anyways the v/w/p models that i need to decompile to get that .qc file i need isnt possible since they  all seem to be decompiled already into files along the likes of
v_rif_m4a1.mdl
v_rif_m4a1.dx80.vtx
v_rif_m4a1.dx90.vtx

what do?

• 2mo
    Yttrium the Femtillionth avatar
    Member Joined 3y
    1,655 points Ranked 2762nd
    8 medals 1 rare
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • 2016 Survey Participant Medal icon
    First off: Do NOT port CS:S skins to CS 1.6. They're made for the Source engine and compiling them from GoldSrc will remove so much visual fidelity due to texture downsizing and lack of any material properties.

Anyways, .dx80.vtx and .dx90.vtx aren't decompiled files. In fact, you're looking at the compiled model files right now. Those files contain the vertex data optimized for their respective DirectX versions. What you need is to decompile the .mdl with Crowbar.

Also CS:S doesn't use p_models. The model the player is holding is literally just the w_model bonemerged to the player's skeleton. This means that if you want a functioning p_model for CS 1.6, you're going to have to edit the model and rename some bones. The viewmodel can stay mostly untouched, though you may have to rotate it 90 degrees and mirror it.

Next, you'll have to open the model's texture files with a program called VTFedit and export them as .bmp so you can compile them into the GoldSrc model (again, don't. it looks ugly, especially if the diffuse was painted with materials in mind.) You can ignore the .vmts because they contain material properties.

Lastly, I think the only thing left to do is change the $cdmaterials string to $cdtextures and change it's path to where you've stored the model's bitmaps, then you should be good to go for compiling them.
    It's a shotgun, baby.
  • 2mo
    PartyOnINSANE avatar
    Member Joined 2mo
    Posted by Yttrium the Femtillionth

First off: Do NOT port CS:S skins to CS 1.6. They're made for the Source engine and compiling them from GoldSrc will remove so much visual fidelity due to texture downsizing and lack of any material properties.

Anyways, .dx80.vtx and .dx90.vtx aren't decompiled files. In fact, you're looking at the compiled model files right now. Those files contain the vertex data optimized for their respective DirectX versions. What you need is to decompile the .mdl with Crowbar.

Also CS:S doesn't use p_models. The model the player is holding is literally just the w_model bonemerged to the player's skeleton. This means that if you want a functioning p_model for CS 1.6, you're going to have to edit the model and rename some bones. The viewmodel can stay mostly untouched, though you may have to rotate it 90 degrees and mirror it.

Next, you'll have to open the model's texture files with a program called VTFedit and export them as .bmp so you can compile them into the GoldSrc model (again, don't. it looks ugly, especially if the diffuse was painted with materials in mind.) You can ignore the .vmts because they contain material properties.

Lastly, I think the only thing left to do is change the $cdmaterials string to $cdtextures and change it's path to where you've stored the model's bitmaps, then you should be good to go for compiling them.
    thanks you so very much for clearing that up for me, defnitely appreciate it!

and i'm rocking an old PC/monitor hybrid running on vista that can barely push 40fps on a full server so im pretty comfy with the lowered quality :)
    Bananite

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Send a Private Message to the submitter

Category

Stats