Left 4 Dead 2 Icon L4D2 Thread

SV_Startsound: file.wav not precached (0)

Attention Gamer! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending RndwaveIsMyFriend points.
  • Post: Give RndwaveIsMyFriend your thoughts on this Thread.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Sound fun?

Join GameBanana

Already a Bananite? Login

Updates

Solution found!
  • Hahaha, fuck you, game!
Turns out if you use the files that the game won't precache in an event that doesn't happen in that level, the game will suddenly realize it's supposed to use these files and will precache them! Yay!

Example, in c2m1_highway_level_sounds:

//An event that isn't used in this level, but the game still sees it, and will precache the files this event uses.
//This means I can force it to precache files that, for some *REALLY* *FUCKING* *STUPID* reason, it won't otherwise.
"c2m2.carousel_music"

{
"channel" "CHAN_STATIC"
"volume" "1.0"
"soundlevel" "SNDLVL_NONE"

"rndwave"

{
"wave" "WitchSongs/SongOfRuin.wav"
"wave" "WitchSongs/Nick/RuinBomb1.wav"
}

}

And later in the script:

//GRENADE!
"Gambler_Grenade01"

{
"channel" "CHAN_STATIC"
"soundlevel" "SNDLVL_NONE"

"rndwave"

{
"wave" "WitchSongs/SongOfRuin.wav"
"wave" "WitchSongs/Nick/RuinBomb1.wav"
}

}
4mo
Different Approach
  • Asking a different question
5mo
This message keeps popping up in the console every time the custom sound for the fireworks boxes fails to play. This doesn't appear with any of my other custom sounds, it doesn't matter what the file is called, and it doesn't matter if it's an mp3 or wav. Does anyone know how to precache sound files so I can fix this?

• 8mo
    Doktor haus avatar
    Doktor haus avatar Online
    Search
    Destiny Flag Affiliation: Destiny
    Member Joined 6y
    13,345 points Ranked 322nd
    24 medals 1 legendary 4 rare
    • Reached 100 subscribers Medal icon
    • 3rd Place - Original Weapons Skinning Contest Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • Received thanks 50 times Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Tutor of the Month, April 2012 Medal icon
    Enter this console command in game:

snd_buildsoundcachefordirectory/addons/myfolder

Replace "myfolder" with the name of your custom addon folder . That generates a sound.cache file in the folder, which should then be packed into a VPK.

L4D2 modder avatar
    Mantra
    L4D2 modder
  • 5mo
    I think I managed to work around it the first time by renaming the file to the one I was replacing and copying the directory path, but that won't work this time.

There are a handful of audio files that have a chance of playing when Nick says one of his pipe bomb lines. Using the old method would only allow one replacement file per line, which I suspect will grow old fast.

Currently, I'm only testing 2 per line, one with the voice line included (RuinBombVoice) and one that's just the song (RuinBomb). Interestingly enough, the game will always try to play RuinBombVoice and then give the "sound not precached" error in the console. Forcing it to play RuinBomb instead doesn't show an error in the console, but it is likewise nonfunctional.

I tried moving the mod folder to addons and using the suggested console command, but got the same results. Does anyone know why this message shows up and how to beat it?
    ALL the sound files!
  • 5mo
    Evil King Sombra avatar
    Evil King Sombra avatar Banished
    Member Joined 2y
    274 points Ranked 14006th
    9 medals 3 rare
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Day Eighteen Winner! Medal icon
    • 8-14 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2016 Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    • 2016 Survey Participant Medal icon
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    Posted by RndwaveIsMyFriend

I think I managed to work around it the first time by renaming the file to the one I was replacing and copying the directory path, but that won't work this time.

There are a handful of audio files that have a chance of playing when Nick says one of his pipe bomb lines. Using the old method would only allow one replacement file per line, which I suspect will grow old fast.

Currently, I'm only testing 2 per line, one with the voice line included (RuinBombVoice) and one that's just the song (RuinBomb). Interestingly enough, the game will always try to play RuinBombVoice and then give the "sound not precached" error in the console. Forcing it to play RuinBomb instead doesn't show an error in the console, but it is likewise nonfunctional.

I tried moving the mod folder to addons and using the suggested console command, but got the same results. Does anyone know why this message shows up and how to beat it?

You haven't rebuilt your overall sound cache. Enter the game open the console type snd_rebuildaudiocache and wait for it to finish. Note that you cannot do anything while this is working.
    King Sombra avatar
    Mantra
    King Sombra
  • 5mo
    Posted by Evil King Sombra

You haven't rebuilt your overall sound cache. Enter the game open the console type snd_rebuildaudiocache and wait for it to finish. Note that you cannot do anything while this is working.
    Unfortunately, that didn't work, either. You think maybe it's something that you just can't modify with sound scripts?
    ALL the sound files!
  • 5mo
    So, it seems like this could be fixed by precaching the audio files. Problem is, I don't know how to do that, and apparently neither does Google, as my searches have produced no useful results.

Does anyone happen to know how to precache audio files for a mod of an official campaign, step-by-step?
    ALL the sound files!

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Send a Private Message to the submitter

Category

Stats