Level 90 Boosts

Hello world. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Cookie Monster points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Stop Lurking!

Already a Bananite? Login

Will they ruin the game, or revitalize it?

I play a level 90 mage on Madoran but like many WoW players, I have alts. I have never taken the time to get them all the way up to 90 but even the first 60 levels on 8 alts gave me an appreciation for how much "catching up" a new player would have to do who wasn't around for the original game (like me) or (worse and unlike me) the expansions. I plan to buy Warlords of Draenor despite being of the personal opinion that, though probably a better theme than MoP, it was the wrong way to go. As such, I, like many of you, will receive a level 90 character boost to use on an alt. For new players this is an instant max level character. I hear that additional ones will be sold for $60 a pop. There is supposed to be some kind of profession boost for level 60+ characters, so at least that's something for your effort if you've leveled your alts partway like me. What do you think? Are these level 90 character boosts (the one from buying the expansion and additional ones from the $60 purchases) going to ruin the game? Or revitalize it? Makes no difference? Discuss!

• 3y
    Darnias avatar
    Darnias avatar Offline
    Member Joined 4y
    1,188 points Ranked 3931st
    11 medals 2 rare
    • 3rd Place - Beneath the Dust Mapping Contest Medal icon
    • Returned 1000 times Medal icon
    • Winter Sprays Contest Entrant Medal icon
    • 1-5 Entries! GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    They know that they have fucked up the story, lore, gameplay... so whats they are doing is to get more money out of it before it dies for example: The blizz store with hats? Boosting up? I played TBC, WotLK, Cataclysm and MoP and I can tell that WotLK was the last good expansion done by them. I mean Cataclysm was "Ok", but it just wasn't like it was before. (Just my opinion no h8 guise.)
    Change Later
  • 3y
    Melicon avatar
    Melicon Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    5,337 points Ranked 852nd
    12 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    As a LOOOOOOONG time wow player my opinions on the purchaseable lvl90's is this:

I really dont care, HOWEVER what I do care about is blizz crossing the line from cosmetic services (pets/helms/mounts) to character advancment services.

I am just concerned that they will go farther into "actuall" character affecting things=(
    • Agree x 1
    Lurking CSC
  • 3y
    agent avatar
    agent avatar Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    32,228 points Ranked 131st
    19 medals 2 rare
    • GameBanana’s Christmas Giveaway 2014 Day One Winner! Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    They are squeezing out all the money they can from a sinking ship. WoW will never totally die (meaning they won't shut down servers), but the playerbase is rapidly shrinking. The genre is pretty much dead as well, I guess people just got fed up.

The general trend in game industry is not favoring MMORPGs either, the gaming industry is generally moving to fast-paced multiplayers with 15-45 min rounds with generally less grinding (ASSFAGGOTS like league and dota, FPSes like CS, BF, warsow). Nowadays, video games are generally made for casual players, people who play the game for 1-2 hours a day and then brag on facebook to their friend about their new highscore/gear. That's probably happening because of the widespread of smartphones and handheld consoles. People who never played video games before are now eager to try because it isn't much of a hustle to install and start playing, app markets have literal millions of free video games, and everyone with a smartphone can now access then with just a few clicks.

But I still believe there are enough die-hard gamers, it's just that games released nowadays are not worth playing. Personally, I am waiting for an innovative MMORPG that is worth spending time on. I like to feel the sense of progress in a video game, but I really dislike repetitive tasks and grinding.
    • Agree x 2
    Obnoxious. avatar
    Mantra
    Obnoxious.
  • 3y
    NoMeerKat avatar
    NoMeerKat Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    489 points Ranked 8841st
    18 medals 2 rare
    • Submitted 50 Maps Medal icon
    • Mapper of the Month, April 2014 Medal icon
    • GameBanana/CEVO CSGO Mapping Contest 2014 Entrant Medal icon
    • Winter Warfare Entrant Medal icon
    I prefer playing original WoW or WoW:BC because those games are more fun. Lvl 60 to 70 is more normal to me, but eh. I've tried latest WoW aswell and can say I like it a bit too. But not as much as the ones I mentioned. I think the boosts per expansion makes no sense in one way. But does in another. It's rather confusing. I feel that the newest expansion is horrid everytime I play the previous expansions, so I don't know what to say here. :P
    Banned
  • 3y
    robin avatar
    robin avatar Hibernating
    Super Moderator Joined 10y
    6,259 points Ranked 711st
    28 medals 2 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 100 Maps Medal icon
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Achieved Super Moderator clearance Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    I dont care about the 90 boost. Considering how much money I already wasted transfering (with faction change) just to play with another friend I find the price reasonable. This just makes the $55 xfer worthless.

Not saying I will pay to boost. When I enjoy leveling anyways its extremely easy to get from 1-80 in like 20 hours game time? not bad if you enjoy the game heh.
    > **Posted by Nightraiven**

> I am just concerned that they will go farther into "actuall" character affecting things=(

tf2.. oh wait.
    Senior Moderator
  • 3y
    TheForgery avatar
    TheForgery Offline
    Member Joined 5y
    15,286 points Ranked 274th
    29 medals 1 legendary 5 rare
    • Submitted 100 Maps Medal icon
    • Submitted 30 Polls Medal icon
    • Reached 50 subscribers Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Maps Medal icon
    > **Posted by agent**

> They are squeezing out all the money they can from a sinking ship. WoW will never totally die (meaning they won't shut down servers), but the playerbase is rapidly shrinking. The genre is pretty much dead as well, I guess people just got fed up.
    >
    > The general trend in game industry is not favoring MMORPGs either, the gaming industry is generally moving to fast-paced multiplayers with 15-45 min rounds with generally less grinding (ASSFAGGOTS like league and dota, FPSes like CS, BF, warsow). Nowadays, video games are generally made for casual players, people who play the game for 1-2 hours a day and then brag on facebook to their friend about their new highscore/gear. That's probably happening because of the widespread of smartphones and handheld consoles. People who never played video games before are now eager to try because it isn't much of a hustle to install and start playing, app markets have literal millions of free video games, and everyone with a smartphone can now access then with just a few clicks.
    >
    > But I still believe there are enough die-hard gamers, it's just that games released nowadays are not worth playing. Personally, I am waiting for an innovative MMORPG that is worth spending time on. I like to feel the sense of progress in a video game, but I really dislike repetitive tasks and grinding.

My dad played WoW for a while and he eventually gave up on the game. I guess these were the reasons.

He even talked with a plumber who also played WoW too and that guy also stopped playing WoW.

Even before this, I met a friend in school long ago and he said that he got fed up with paying the fee/monthly subscription and he quit.
    RIP TheNeXusCore
  • 3y
    Cookie Monster avatar
    Cookie Monster avatar Offline
    Member Joined 4y
    So obviously the boosts have long since come. I boosted all of my characters with a non-gathering profession (aka wasted a ton of money) except my Engineer (because he is also my Death Knight). I also wasted a ton of gold learning all the vendor recipes I didn't know for said professions.

And now I still don't play these alts… they're all sitting on the Timeless Isle in the extra Timeless Isle gear I collected on my main collecting dust.
    07-05-2002 (4140) avatar
    Mantra
    07-05-2002 (4140)
  • 3y
    NoMeerKat avatar
    NoMeerKat Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    489 points Ranked 8841st
    18 medals 2 rare
    Blizzard Entertainment shouldn't have went overboard with the story and the creation of new factions were to me a disappointment in a way. It kind of broke the story since worgens are supposed to be wolf humans in the forest as NPC that attack passers by and not be playable. To me that was ridiculous to add them as a faction. The ability to reach level 90 is okay to me but I'm not too used to leveling to such level and level 70 is enough to me already since I'm a WoW:TBC player.
    Banned
  • 3y
    Cookie Monster avatar
    Member Joined 4y
    I love the worgen actually, they're better than the dranei and probably the gnomes in my opinion. In some ways they're probably the coolest Alliance race (too bad they don't have a real home other than Gilneas). I'm not as big of a fan of the goblins, but then again I barely play horde and goblins were definitely a logical choice (it ain't easy being green).
    • Agree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    07-05-2002 (4140) avatar
    Mantra
    07-05-2002 (4140)
  • 3y
    NoMeerKat avatar
    NoMeerKat Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    489 points Ranked 8841st
    18 medals 2 rare
    To me the Worgens feel so out of place for some reason but that's just me I guess. I tried the Mists of Pandaria trial version and I wasn't comfortable about all the worgens that were around. I was literally horrified about what they'd do to me since I had no idea what their special powers were or anything. I'm pretty scared of the unknown, so that's why I dislike having them around I guess. :P
    Banned
  • 3y
    Cookie Monster avatar
    Member Joined 4y
    > **Posted by SteelKat**

> To me the Worgens feel so out of place for some reason but that's just me I guess. I tried the Mists of Pandaria trial version and I wasn't comfortable about all the worgens that were around. I was literally horrified about what they'd do to me since I had no idea what their special powers were or anything. I'm pretty scared of the unknown, so that's why I dislike having them around I guess. :P

Sounds like Lupophobia to me! Did you ever read Little Red Riding Hood when you were little?
    • Funny x 1
    • Win x 1
    07-05-2002 (4140) avatar
    Mantra
    07-05-2002 (4140)
  • 3y
    NoMeerKat avatar
    NoMeerKat Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    489 points Ranked 8841st
    18 medals 2 rare
    > **Posted by Cookie Monster**

> > **Posted by SteelKat**
    >
    > > To me the Worgens feel so out of place for some reason but that's just me I guess. I tried the Mists of Pandaria trial version and I wasn't comfortable about all the worgens that were around. I was literally horrified about what they'd do to me since I had no idea what their special powers were or anything. I'm pretty scared of the unknown, so that's why I dislike having them around I guess. :P
    >
    > Sounds like Lupophobia to me! Did you ever read Little Red Riding Hood when you were little?

Well I'm not scared of them I just feel uncomfortable having worgens around. Not sure why but possibly because I look at them like fearful creatures that are supposed to be scary, sort of like snakes I'm not really scared of them but they are ment to be scary. Plus yes I've read Little Red Riding Hood. :P
    Banned

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Cookie Monster avatar
Member Joined 4y