Question on overheating

My rig is pretty close to bursting in flames

So, a quick question for the people familiar with this kind of stuff I might imagine.

I'm having a problem with my CPU overheating whenever I play. I've only tried Source engine games and Fallout 3 for now since they're all I have installed, but it's the same thing in both

As soon as I get ingame, my CPU temperature just goes soaring up. And I mean way up... The first time I decided to check it it was getting close to 70C (that's 158 fahrenheit) and I don't think it would stop there. Didn't keep playing to find out though. Idle temp is at around 38C (100F)... Measured with Speedfan and some program that came with my motherboard's driver/instruction disc. Both give the same numbers, so I think they're accurate enough.

My question is: Can a fresh termal paste and a new heatsink bring it down to something bareable, or is there something else going on here? Right now I'm using the stock heatsink that came with my processor (AMD 6000+ x2 if that matters).

Oh, and before people ask: Yeah, I've checked for dust, the computer is in a well ventilated area, my fans are spinning, and I've tried taking off the side... I even underclocked my CPU 10% and the results are the same, just with slower heat build up.

Any help appreciated. Budget really isn't an issue for me at this time.

Oh noes! You're not a Member!

Want access to cool stuff? As a member you can:

• Post. Give the submitter your thoughts on this Thread.
  • Say Thanks. Show your appreciation by sending the submitter points.
  • Stamp Posts. Let other posters know what you think of their posts.
  • Rate. Give this Thread a rating out of 10.
  • Flag. Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Vote. Vote the submitter for the Monthly Awards.
  • Subscribe. Get notified when this submitter submits again.

Interested? Register or Login

• You must be a member

Replies

• Sheeprider
    Availability
    Points Level
    Drudge
    7,024 points
    Exemplary Feedback Level
    Helper
    10 EF's
    Account Age Level
    Elder
    9 years old
    5 years ago:
    Posted by EEMUMAN If money isn't a problem, then get a new CPU ;)

Err... Why? My CPU is working just fine. It's the cooling that is the problem, is it not?

User Title
    Durby Durb durb...
  • WASPY
    Availability
    Points Level
    Drudge
    4,274 points
    Exemplary Feedback Level
    Helper
    10 EF's
    Account Age Level
    Elder
    6 years old
    5 years ago:

Lol 70 degrees is nothing! Ive had my CPU temperature up to 93 degrees (celcius that is) haha

And i resolved it by buying a new fan (Tuniq Tower 120) and some new thermal paste. And after that it was working fine! :D it was back down to around 40 again.

So yeah my suggestion is that you buy thermal paste and a new fan and that should resolve it.

User Title
    Queen Obscene
  • Sheeprider
    Availability
    Points Level
    Drudge
    7,024 points
    Exemplary Feedback Level
    Helper
    10 EF's
    Account Age Level
    Elder
    9 years old
    5 years ago:
    Posted by WΛSPY Lol 70 degrees is nothing! Ive had my CPU temperature up to 93 degrees (celcius that is) haha And i resolved it by buying a new fan (Tuniq Tower 120) and some new thermal paste. And after that it was working fine! :D it was back down to around 40 again. So yeah my suggestion is that you buy thermal paste and a new fan and that should resolve it.

93C? O.o

How did it not shut down at that point? Or before that for that matter. :D

But yeah, I was thinking a new thermal paste and heatsink might fix it... Just wasn't sure since it was working fine not too long ago and now the temperatures seemed a tad excessive.

User Title
    Durby Durb durb...
  • WASPY
    Availability
    Points Level
    Drudge
    4,274 points
    Exemplary Feedback Level
    Helper
    10 EF's
    Account Age Level
    Elder
    6 years old
    5 years ago:

Yeah it happened fast for me too :O

And about those 93 degrees lol.. well for starters it was a P4 CPU overclocked to like 3.8 GHz, and i had my pc running sometimes for days at a time, and i did all kinds of CPU intensive stuff on it. Plus i had adjusted the settings in the BIOS to accept up to 120 degrees on the CPU lol and well, thats about the temperature everything starts to melt and whatnot lmao.

And then one day it all happened, like the temperature in BIOS was like at 78 or sumthin, and that is NOT normal haha, and so my PC would freeze after appx 3 minutes lol :P But me being stubborn, i kept on running on high temperatures (before this happened) and i was well aware of it reaching those high temperatures. And i guess i shortened my CPU's life close to 0 in the process haha.

User Title
    Queen Obscene
  • Availability
    Points Level
    Worker
    36,219 points
    Exemplary Feedback Level
    Helper
    11 EF's
    Account Age Level
    Elder
    8 years old
    5 years ago:

Download coretemp, and check the temperature with that. I assume it's going to be about the same, but more checking never hurts. Check the temperature of your CPU when you are doing nothing, then download LinX. Run LinX, and see how long it take for your processor to break 60C, and let it keep going and see how long it takes to break 70C.

User Title
    BAD WOLF
  • You must be a member

Submitter

Sheeprider
Availability
Points Level
Drudge
7,024 points
Exemplary Feedback Level
Helper
10 EF's