EMP Static Overlay bug

Yo, buddy. We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Semp points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Interested?

Already a Bananite? Login

Upon installing v1.50...

I haven't played this game in a long time, I mean we are talking like 5 months here. I wanted to jump back in but upon loading it up I had to install the v1.50 patch, which I was happy about, because I loved wake island in bf2, and now they've added it to 2142. For the first few minutes everything was fine. But after my third death, the static feed that overlays the screen when your player dies (which I think they added with v1.50) failed to disappear when I respawned. So now I had this very light camo-ish, static overlay on my screen. And when I use the active camouflage it goes into full-fledged static and I can't see anything. I assume its the same static overlay for when you get hit by an EMP grenade, but I wouldn't know because its on all the time. Obviously this makes sniping, and any sort of aiming for that matter, extremely difficult and makes the whole game look like a piece of shit. It even remains when I go into 3d-top down view as commander :/. I wasn't sure if this was a new gameplay mechanic at first, but its so fucking frustrating that I doubt it. I've looked high and low for a fix for this bug, but I can't even find any documentation of it on any of the troubleshooting websites. And yes, I've restarted bf2142 and my computer multiple times, and the static is there the second I'm done loading the map. Any ideas?

• 9y
    KniteWulf avatar
    KniteWulf avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    109 points Ranked 26288th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    The patch may have corrupted something. You're gonna hate to hear it, but a reinstall sounds like the best solution. Make sure you get the patch off of EA's website, or Planet2142.

If you don't want to do that immediately, play with your display settings and see if it goes away when you change your resolution, or texture level etc etc.
    Chief of Nostalgia avatar
    Mantra
    Chief of Nostalgia
  • 9y
    Semp avatar
    Semp Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    18,827 points Ranked 229th
    Posted by KniteWulf

The patch may have corrupted something. You're gonna hate to hear it, but a reinstall sounds like the best solution. Make sure you get the patch off of EA's website, or Planet2142.

If you don't want to do that immediately, play with your display settings and see if it goes away when you change your resolution, or texture level etc etc.

Judging by how my CD case is god knows where, I'll just stick with BF2, the patch pissed me off enough to remove my urge to play.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    KniteWulf avatar
    KniteWulf avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    109 points Ranked 26288th
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • 10 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    Posted by Semp

Posted by KniteWulf

Judging by how my CD case is god knows where, I'll just stick with BF2, the patch pissed me off enough to remove my urge to play.

I know how you feel. Good luck. Try switching around your video settings.
    Chief of Nostalgia avatar
    Mantra
    Chief of Nostalgia
  • 9y
    I jumped back onto Bf2142 after 5 months to play it and remembered why i quit, damn this games buggered now.

o and EA suck for not letting me register Northern Strike to my account, way to stael £5 of me!
    Wishing My Photoshop Worked...
  • 9y
    Cryo avatar
    Cryo Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Well i had a prob with the Northern Front thing too, not too bad but i got it working. Try updating your display driver, helped with me
    Go forward without fear -Abrah avatar
    Mantra
    Go forward without fear -Abrah
  • 9y
    utt avatar
    utt Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    I was getting the same issue, almost like a faded overlay covered the screen. I was using a beta driver (Nvidia 180.84) with GTA4 which was supposed to correct a missing texture issue (btw it doesn't). I went back to battlefield 2142 and it was the issue you described, only a lot worse. I reverted to my previous driver (Nvidia 180.48) and I got the symptoms described above.

The only solution I have found, so far, is to revert to 175.19 (175.19_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe) and battlefield will work fine. To correct the missing texture issue in GTA4, just switch resolutions temporarily and they will reload.

Nvidia's drivers suck...and their latest releases appear never to have been tested prior to their release.
    Bananite
  • 9y
    Kenab avatar
    Kenab Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    7,168 points Ranked 610th
    Posted by utt

Blabla.... I was using a beta driver (Nvidia 180.84) with GTA4 which was supposed to correct a missing texture issue (btw it doesn't). Blabla....

Blablabla....

Nvidia's drivers suck...and their latest releases appear never to have been tested prior to their release.

That's why it is called a BETA.

And I don't have any problem with 180.48 in ANY of my games.
  • 9y
    utt avatar
    utt Offline
    Member Joined 9y

That's why it is called a BETA.

Re-read the paragraph.

And I don't have any problem with 180.48 in ANY of my games.

Some cards do, some don't.
    Bananite
  • 9y
    utt avatar
    utt Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Pros: Provides a solution
    Cons: One or two trolls
    Improvements: Delete the junk comments
    Notes: Only two comments on topic
    Bananite
  • 9y
    Semp avatar
    Semp Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    18,827 points Ranked 229th
    Im still running the 178.24 driver (off a 7900 GTX). And the game worked fine before the "final" bf2142 patch last summer. I didn't update my drivers between when I last played it an when I got the patch installed so I'm pretty sure its not Nvidia's fault, but rather an error by EA during the update.
    Mantra

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter

Semp avatar
Semp Offline
Member Joined 9y