World of Warcraft Icon WoW Thread

WoW Terms Of Use & Private Servers

Hey, you! We are one of the oldest mod sites on the Interwebs. Sign up and maximize your browsing experience.

• Subscribe: Get notified of new submissions like this.
  • Say Thanks: Show your appreciation by sending Treet points.
  • Flag: Alert moderators and warn members of a problem with this Thread.
  • Watch: Get notified when this Thread is updated.
Mascot

Resistance is futile...

Become a Bananite

Already a Bananite? Login

Basic explanation.

Are Private Servers Illegal? Not at all, although you are on shaky ground when it comes to them. What does Blizzard have to say about them?
As many of you already know, Blizzard has taken steps recently to stop the development of unauthorized emulator servers for the World of Warcraft™ beta. While we appreciate the devotion and enthusiasm the GotWoW? community has shown for World of Warcraft, the development of emulator servers directly contributes to the illegal copying of the beta game client and creates the opportunity for people to continue to play on unauthorized servers after the completion of the World of Warcraft beta test. Some individuals may have helped develop emulator servers under the belief that Blizzard was not opposed to the existence of illegal copies of the World of Warcraft beta game client. However, this belief was incorrect. Blizzard places a high value on its intellectual property and does not condone illegal copies of the beta game client or software that facilitates or encourages the use of illegal copies of the beta game client. Leaders from various emulator-server development teams, including StormCraft, Vibe, and Khaos, have turned over their code and stopped development of emulator servers. We are asking that those of you who are continuing to operate unauthorized emulator servers for the World of Warcraft beta take this opportunity to voluntarily stop these efforts and turn over your code to Blizzard as well. For a short period of time, Blizzard will grant amnesty to those who comply with this request. Please contact us at *email removed* for more information. Thank you for your understanding and for helping us to ensure the integrity of the beta-testing process. We look forward to seeing you in game when World of Warcraft is released!
So, how does that make them legal? Honestly, it's my opinion really, but just think: Blizzard never actually claims that anything about the emulated servers, themselves, is illegal. Rather, they attempt to mislead you into believing that the servers are illegal by associating them with illegal copies of the World of WarCraft client. They do have a legal argument, however, albeit a weak one, which is that the development and existence of these servers encourages the distribution of pirated copies of the game, and thus the servers should be considered illegal. Such an argument would not, in my un-professional opinion, stand in any court, as I can't believe that Blizzard has much of anything to back it up. Also, reverse engineering is protected under US Law. If these emulated servers were designed using Blizzard's source code then there would be a problem. Where can I find one? Eh, very shaky topic, but you could PM and I could show you a few places to look I guess.

• 9y
    jason9jason avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    5,288 points Ranked 857th
    19 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Submitted 100 WiPs Medal icon
    • 6 years a member Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 WiPs Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    • Reached 1,000 Points Medal icon
    • Reached 2,500 Points Medal icon
    I kinda want to try the game.
    with out the fees.
    But I'm not sure.Maybe.
    Wheres your head at? avatar
    Mantra
    Wheres your head at?
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    Well Jason, honestly, I'm taking and making a private server soon. ( I have like 4 computers, one computer can be completely empty for it right?) : P
    It's time for another; so I ca avatar
    Mantra
    It's time for another; so I ca
  • 9y
    Kangaroux avatar
    Kangaroux Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    495 points Ranked 8600th
    Posted by jason9jason

I kinda want to try the game.
    with out the fees.
    But I'm not sure.Maybe.

Get the 10-day trial.
    I'm back, bitches. avatar
    Mantra
    I'm back, bitches.
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    Or just go on the private servers, that way you don't have the limits.

I'm planning on making a WoW server that is like a real WoW server

And then a all fucked up one.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    jason9jason avatar
    Member Joined 10y
    5,288 points Ranked 857th
    19 medals 1 legendary 2 rare
    • Submitted 100 WiPs Medal icon
    • Submitted 50 WiPs Medal icon
    • Became a Studio Leader Medal icon
    But it's getting thats the problem,
    it's like 7 gigs.
    and which version to get ?
    Wheres your head at? avatar
    Mantra
    Wheres your head at?
  • 9y
    Jazqa avatar
    Jazqa Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    FPSB has tf2 servers... why not wow server then? :D
    and my request: Make it non-BC server cause burning crusade ruined great game :(
    Blood is the Price of Glory avatar
    Mantra
    Blood is the Price of Glory
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    Posted by Jazqa

and my request: Make it non-BC server cause burning crusade ruined great game :(

I have BC already on it bud, but you can just not use BC...
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Jazqa avatar
    Jazqa Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Treet

Posted by Jazqa

nah.. if there is BC I must use it. When I last time played WoW yesr ago on private server It was fun but I didn't like outlands raids. :S and if private servers are illegal aren't this thread too huh?
    Blood is the Price of Glory avatar
    Mantra
    Blood is the Price of Glory
  • 9y
    Xaoc avatar
    Xaoc avatar Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    7,854 points Ranked 551st
    Well, it pretty much does hevily promote piracy of the clients them selvs, and i can vouch for that, many, many, Many people i've spoken to have pirated the client and now play on these servers on a day to day basis, so their arguement is quite solid on those grounds.
    The orange of the banana. avatar
    Mantra
    The orange of the banana.
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    Posted by Jazqa

Posted by Treet

Posted by Jazqa

nah.. if there is BC I must use it. When I last time played WoW yesr ago on private server It was fun but I didn't like outlands raids. :S and if private servers are illegal aren't this thread too huh?

It would be an illegal thread if private servers were illegal, but they are not. There for no, this thread is not illegal.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    unknown_all avatar
    Member Joined 11y
    Posted by Xaoc

Well, it pretty much does hevily promote piracy of the clients them selvs, and i can vouch for that, many, many, Many people i've spoken to have pirated the client and now play on these servers on a day to day basis, so their arguement is quite solid on those grounds.

If that made there argument strong then I'm pretty sure that all torrent clients would be illegal and shut down.

If a private server were to say in an agreement (similar to how torrent clients have an agreement) that they do not take an responsibility (etc.) for the use of illegal clients, then, unless Blizzard can find another argument, they are not doing anything wrong and are well within the law.
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    Posted by Eminence

Posted by Xaoc

If that made there argument strong then I'm pretty sure that all torrent clients would be illegal and shut down.

If a private server were to say in an agreement (similar to how torrent clients have an agreement) that they do not take an responsibility (etc.) for the use of illegal clients, then, unless Blizzard can find another argument, they are not doing anything wrong and are well within the law.

Also it's not a heavy promotion of piracy for the fat that it's just another server, and if you don't believe that most private servers run off a legit version of WoW:

Found in How to make a private server

Now open your WoW Directory
    If you don't have wow, very simple, BUY IT.

Mantra
  • 9y
    boiler rat avatar
    boiler rat Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    2,353 points Ranked 1966th
    I really know a great server ( private ) that i play on if you want it...
    Normal avatar? Yeah I got one.
  • 9y
    TheMustacheHero avatar
    Member Joined 9y
    1,671 points Ranked 2768th
    Wait, it's talking about BETA not the real game... so what's the big deal? also, what's the point of this?
    Just telling it like it is.
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    Some people want to play on a private server but are too afraid to try it because it's "illegal" in their minds.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Cornbread avatar
    Cornbread Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    18,202 points Ranked 235th
    Posted by Treet

Mak ethe fucked up one so that everyone is instant 70 and everything like ites and such is free(don't forget to get the mall where all the items are!)
    I be a color guru avatar
    Mantra
    I be a color guru
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    I'm having problems compiling, but I assure you it will be up soon!
    Mantra
  • 9y
    DuskHunter avatar
    DuskHunter Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    981 points Ranked 4687th
    Do you really not get why a private server is illegal? It is completly easy to understad. The biggest reason is that you are stealing profits from a company that spent years devoloping a game. There is also the fact that people put donate buttons on there website which is yet again illegal. It is under the law of re-disttibuting another persons software. It is the same reason why you cant download BF2 legally. I don't get how you think it is legal AT ALL. Also, they are editing the software which again is in there ToS if you take the time to read it. Although I do run a private flyff server I just wanted to point out that private servers are COMPLETLY ILLEGAL.

^-^
    Do you think anything is unfix avatar
    Mantra
    Do you think anything is unfix
  • 9y
    Klexicon avatar
    Klexicon Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    156 points Ranked 20557th
    Posted by DuskHunter

Do you really not get why a private server is illegal? It is completly easy to understad. The biggest reason is that you are stealing profits from a company that spent years devoloping a game. There is also the fact that people put donate buttons on there website which is yet again illegal. It is under the law of re-disttibuting another persons software. It is the same reason why you cant download BF2 legally. I don't get how you think it is legal AT ALL. Also, they are editing the software which again is in there ToS if you take the time to read it. Although I do run a private flyff server I just wanted to point out that private servers are COMPLETLY ILLEGAL.

^-^

Donating isnt illegal, thats why its called donating. All your doing is giving them free money, and in return they give you a free item. And you arent redistributing anything, since nothing is for sale.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    DuskHunter avatar
    DuskHunter Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    981 points Ranked 4687th
    Posted by Klexicon

Posted by DuskHunter

^-^

Donating isnt illegal, thats why its called donating. All your doing is giving them free money, and in return they give you a free item. And you arent redistributing anything, since nothing is for sale.

Just because you put something into diffrent terms does not mean it is the same. No matter what you say it is not how you say it but how the law see's it. Donating in general isnt illegal, but that is like me taking someones skin, putting it on my website and telling people to donate to me for making the skin? No, it just dosn't work that way.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Klexicon avatar
    Klexicon Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by DuskHunter

Just because you put something into diffrent terms does not mean it is the same. No matter what you say it is not how you say it but how the law see's it. Donating in general isnt illegal, but that is like me taking someones skin, putting it on my website and telling people to donate to me for making the skin? No, it just dosn't work that way.

No, because thats the only way they get out of the law, else the law would be all over them. Its called a loophole.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    DuskHunter avatar
    DuskHunter Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    981 points Ranked 4687th
    Posted by Klexicon

Posted by DuskHunter

No, because thats the only way they get out of the law, else the law would be all over them. Its called a loophole.

There is no loophole to get out of stealing someone elses software or do you not get it AT ALL? The reason why they don't attack is because it would take more time and money then it is worth to sue them because mostly these are just kids/young adults hosting these servers who really don't have that much money lol. So what would they get out of them? Couple thousand dollars out of the 20billion that Blizzard racks in a day? (That is a fake number) Then send some poor teens to jail? How would that make them look? There is a lot more to it then youu know. Trust me I am not an idiot or un-educated. I know all about this stuff.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    pope192 avatar
    pope192 Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    Every private sever I have played on is either laggy, has a bunch of bugs, or all there is to do is make a character throw on the best gear and then run around killing stuff. A real server is a lot better to actually play on, and maybe it's fun to play on a private server for an hour if someone is bored enough.
    The one and only avatar
    Mantra
    The one and only
  • 9y
    DuskHunter avatar
    DuskHunter Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    981 points Ranked 4687th
    Posted by pope192

Every private sever I have played on is either laggy, has a bunch of bugs, or all there is to do is make a character throw on the best gear and then run around killing stuff. A real server is a lot better to actually play on, and maybe it's fun to play on a private server for an hour if someone is bored enough.

That is only beacuse people fail at source coding.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Treet avatar
    Treet Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    775 points Ranked 5792nd
    I had a server up and it was never laggy, never had that many bugs and there were two places you could go: A normal server with realms like WoW or a exotic server that was fucked up in every way. If what you say is true DuskHunter then we should sue these people because they used the basic concept of WoW:

GET OuT YOUR LAWYERZ BECUZ DUSKIE SAIZ TEY CAN SUE!
    Mantra
  • 9y
    Porcelain avatar
    Porcelain Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    10,115 points Ranked 423rd
    11 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • 10 years a member Medal icon
    • Reached 7,500 Points Medal icon
    • 1 post awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    Posted by Treet

I had a server up and it was never laggy, never had that many bugs and there were two places you could go: A normal server with realms like WoW or a exotic server that was fucked up in every way. If what you say is true DuskHunter then we should sue these people because they used the basic concept of WoW:

Lol, Warhammer was all copyrighted before WoW was released. Wow tried to take the name Warhammer in some form, and they already had it, and they could not use it.
    I'm screaming, this life is a  avatar
    Mantra
    I'm screaming, this life is a
  • 9y
    DuskHunter avatar
    DuskHunter Offline
    Member Joined 12y
    981 points Ranked 4687th
    Posted by Treet

Lol. I swear you guys are so stupid. I am sorry to be so blunt and unmature about it but I speak the truth. First off, warhammer is a game that is WAY WAY older then WoW, it was orignally a game that you played with models you made yourself with sets you bought. Also, warhammer isnt even a MMO it is just like starcraft. You can use the IDEA of something, but when you are using there files? That is COMPLETLEY diffrent. It i ILLEGAL to use OTHER peoples CODE. You are STEALING proffits from blizzard, which is ILLEGAL. Get your head around the general concept.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    GuessWho!? avatar
    GuessWho!? Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by DuskHunter

Lol. I swear you guys are so stupid. I am sorry to be so blunt and unmature about it but I speak the truth. First off, warhammer is a game that is WAY WAY older then WoW, it was orignally a game that you played with models you made yourself with sets you bought. Also, warhammer isnt even a MMO it is just like starcraft. You can use the IDEA of something, but when you are using there files? That is COMPLETLEY diffrent. It i ILLEGAL to use OTHER peoples CODE. You are STEALING proffits from blizzard, which is ILLEGAL. Get your head around the general concept.

You're stealing my brain with your bad grammar.
    I want Cookies,  NAOUGHW! avatar
    Mantra
    I want Cookies, NAOUGHW!
  • 9y
    YellowJello avatar
    YellowJello avatar Offline
    Member Joined 13y
    99,749 points Ranked 32nd
    29 medals 2 legendary 6 rare
    • Submitted 200 Threads Medal icon
    • Reached 75,000 Points Medal icon
    • Submitted 100 Threads Medal icon
    • Submitted 20 Gamefiles Medal icon
    Private servers are illegal. Anyone who says otherwise is fucking stupid.

Also, Warhammer has been around for nearly three times as long as Warcraft. In fact, when Blizzard was first drawing up their ideas for what is now called World of Warcraft, they were going to make it for Warhammer; they just never got the rights to the name.
    Jiggle Jiggle avatar
    Mantra
    Jiggle Jiggle
  • 9y
    scout1011 avatar
    scout1011 Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    804 points Ranked 5607th
    10 medals 1 legendary 1 rare
    • Became a Club Leader Medal icon
    • 5 posts awarded Exemplary Feedback Medal icon
    • One month a member Medal icon
    WoW ToS

I see on that page it says

"Limitations on Your Use of the Service.

1. Only Blizzard or its licensees have the right to host the Game. You may not host or provide matchmaking services for the Game, or intercept, emulate or redirect the proprietary communication protocols used by Blizzard in connection with the Program, regardless of the method used to do so. Such prohibited methods may include, but are not limited to, protocol emulation, reverse engineering, modifying the Program, adding unauthorized components to the Program, or using a packet sniffer while the Program is running."

I'm not familiar with WoW, but that seems to state that private servers are illegal?
    The lands are bleak and long avatar
    Mantra
    The lands are bleak and long
  • 9y
    peepin avatar
    peepin Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    1,071 points Ranked 4294th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    Posted by Treet

1. If you make a server (private) and some how magically Blizz finds you IP address.. You will get fucked in your asshole very hard.
    2. You will be able to set it up. BUT it will never be like the Blizz servers. No matter what you say it will never be like Blizz. Lots of reasons and I will give you one: BUGS you will have lots of fun with them.
    3. Have you ever tried out some privet server? They lag like shit, constant DC's, Bug abusers, hackers, stupid GMs (privet server GMs), "Donators" who ruin the WHOLE game play.

So yeah good luck with that.

PS. To all the people:

This is a WoW thread NOT WaR. So stay on TOPIC!
    Pinapplezz avatar
    Mantra
    Pinapplezz

• 9y
    Klexicon avatar
    Klexicon Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by scout1011

WoW ToS

1. Only Blizzard or its licensees have the right to host the Game. You may not host or provide matchmaking services for the Game, or intercept, emulate or redirect the proprietary communication protocols used by Blizzard in connection with the Program, regardless of the method used to do so. Such prohibited methods may include, but are not limited to, protocol emulation, reverse engineering, modifying the Program, adding unauthorized components to the Program, or using a packet sniffer while the Program is running."

I'm not familiar with WoW, but that seems to state that private servers are illegal?

Doesn't say illegal, just says that you cant do it, then it later goes to say that if you do in fact do it, then they can restrict your game access.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    GuessWho!? avatar
    GuessWho!? Offline
    Member Joined 9y
    Posted by Klexicon

Posted by scout1011

WoW ToS

Doesn't say illegal, just says that you cant do it, then it later goes to say that if you do in fact do it, then they can restrict your game access.

Just to let you know, if they say you can't do it, it's likely it's ILLEGAL...
    I want Cookies,  NAOUGHW! avatar
    Mantra
    I want Cookies, NAOUGHW!
  • 9y
    Klexicon avatar
    Klexicon Offline
    Member Joined 10y
    Posted by GuessWho!?

Just to let you know, if they say you can't do it, it's likely it's ILLEGAL...

A museum has a statue, the statue has a sign that says Dont Touch!, and you touch it, they will kick you out. Not arrest you.
    Mantra
  • 9y
    uberrabbit avatar
    uberrabbit Offline
    Member Joined 11y
    5,171 points Ranked 885th
    8 medals 1 rare
    • 6 months a member Medal icon
    • 1 year a member Medal icon
    Private servers can be very fun, but don't expect from them what you get from the 'real' thing. I know this because I have played on many private servers.

Some bad things: (Depends on your style)

1) Donors. People that donate to the server are given ridiculous gear that makes them much more powerful than any other non-donors on the server. They tend to get annoying after they kill you a lot.

2) Instant 70. Upon joining some servers, you are given instant 70, no 'playing' necessary.

3) Shopping malls. In private servers, you are first placed in a shopping mall. (Depends on the private server)
    This shopping mall (All are different) most likely contains level 70 end game items, that you can buy, most for free. Just like that. No 'playing' necessary.

4) Easiness. Now I know they are not all as easy as the 'instant 70' p-servers, (There are 'blizzlike' servers out there) but most of them are just too easy.

5) Players. There is no comparison to be made. Private servers have significantly less people playing on them, and they always will.

Now these 'cons' completely depend upon what you are looking for. They could be considered 'pros' to some players.

I personally enjoy some private servers on occasion. Once I get bored with the retail version of Warcraft. Which believe it or not happens quite a lot.

But everything I just said is only my opinion..so, yeah. =]
    Some uberrabbits allowed. avatar
    Mantra
    Some uberrabbits allowed.

Shareable Image:
Share banner
HTML embed code:
BB embed code:
Markdown embed code:

More embeddable images

Bookmark and Share

Submitter