* This replaces Bethesda's combat shotguns and shotgun traps with a Saiga-12, which is a self-loading, 12-gauge AK. Because this is modeled with an 8-round magazine, i lowered the capacity in-game to eight as well. Hopefully someone will model a SureFire magazine or ProMag drum someday so we can have a 12-round Saiga-12. On the bright side, i increased the item's hit-points to account for its AK ruggedness. This will fire at 1.5 shots a second, just like the "vanilla" combat shotgun. An optional mod to make Charon's combat shotgun a Saiga-12 is included.
* I was so keen on doing this because i was sick of my combat shotguns operating on fantasy physics. I'd love to see a cut-away animation of how Bethesda's combat shotgun actually works internally.
* 2012/01/23 - The gun looked too big formerly, so i shrank it by 19/20ths, which effectively took a couple inches off it. I have removed the 5-round-magazine version until i find out whom to credit for it (any leads would be appreciated). I put the overrides to Charon's combat shotgun in a separate ESP in case my improvements cause him to give it too much preference over other weapons. I figured out why the original bump-map wasn't working (the alpha channels were in reverse order) and included it in this version. I lowered the magazine capacity from 10 rounds to 8 because realism.
* Saiga mesh: lez0 / smoothing, edits, collision: Luguberos †
* Saiga skin: S_Cream_Err, Fantom Oblivion
* Idea and supervising for original model: BarbAn
* Additional help: xStream
* Shotgun trap mesh, shotgun shell mesh: Bethesda
* Compiling to Fallout 3: Luguberos
† A.K.A. Leif Runenritzer, A.K.A. Beros
* Any mod that overrides shotgun traps (if any), the Combat Shotgun, Charon's Combat Shotgun, The Terrible Shotgun, or the locations of the Combat Shotguns in the game (i had to un-tilt them) will be in conflict with this. This has not been tested with the ironsights mod.
* The Saiga-12 is one of a series of Russian-made rifles and shotguns derived from the AK-47. These are nowadays readily available in the US, where they are customized extensively. I find it plausible for a Saiga-12 to be in a Fallout game because the divergence of our timeline from the Fallout timeline happened in 1945—only two years before the first AK-47 was finalized—and because the US and the Soviet Union had good relations in the Fallout timeline.
Yeah, it's just funny timing. I wanted it for my last play-through before i move on to New Vegas. That, and i couldn't for the life of me compile a model to FO3, until about two months ago. Thank you for rating, btw.
Hey, i'm glad you like it. I'm really looking forward to New Vegas but it could be a toss-up. On the one hand, it has some of the fellows who worked on the real Fallouts, on the other hand, it's from the same studio that made Neverwinter Nights 2 :( But either way, we get a whole new-and-improved Fallout game (or stand-alone Fallout expansion, depending on your standards) and it should be at least as customizable as Fallout 3.
Also, my recommendations: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9846 http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5431 http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11611 http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3447 http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6137 http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8292 http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11477
@Moufisto: 1: IMO it seems like an expansion pack, and not worth the original asking price at $50, when the price drops to $30 or $40 that's when i'd suggest to buy it. If you really loved F3, then it's not really my decision...
Cool model, I like what you've done. I was never a fan of the fallout3 combat shotgun either, it's pretty shit I gotta say. Think I'll give it a shot now, I'll tell you if it screws up anything along the way for me.
two questions though to anyone who reads this:
1. Reckon New Vegas is worth the buy?
2. What's a good site to get skins or mods for Fallout3? Recommendations etc, are appreciated.
Imported into Milkshape 3D. Presence of back-faces somehow made it a smoothing nightmare. Exported as a .obj.
Imported into Blender (or was it NifSkope, then Blender?) and exported again as a .obj and imported into Milkshape 3D. No more superfluous back-faces, but many were backwards. Had to select each individually and reverse the vertex order. Applied smoothing groups. Rotated, scaled, and oriented the mesh relative to the Chinese Assault Rifle mesh. Extracted FO3 shotshell model with Fallout 3 Archive Utility and inserted two into the magazine. Exported as a .obj.
Loaded texture into GIMP with Cocidius's DDS plugin. Created normal map with Cocidius's normal map plugin.
Imported into NifSkope and saved as a .nif. Imported into Blender, applied filler texture, exported as a .nif. Loaded into NifSkope, swapped group by group with the Chinese Assault Rifle, applied textures, oriented projectile and ejection nodes.
Changed WeapShotgunCombat's model path, animations, and other details in FO3Edit.
Tested in-game. Found a streak of light on the receiver cover caused by the normal map. Found no way of fixing this except taking the normal map off from that particular group. Made a collision mesh in Blender using the Chinese Assault Rifle collision as a base.
"Hacked" the 5-round magazine from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Saiga-12K that had already been compiled to FO3. Filled missing face, applied smoothing groups, asf. Exported, adjusted collision mesh asf. Changed FollowersCharonShotgun's and FollowersCharonShotgunScene's model path, asf.
Removed barrel and flash-hider, and moved the front-sight-base back for a short barrel-look. Fabricated a new bore by inverting and shrinking a piece of barrel, filled in the crown, and mapped some metal over it. Exported, Adjusted collision mesh asf. Changed WeapUniqueTerribleShotgun's model path, asf.
Extracted shotgun trap models, and loaded into Milkshape 3D. Rotated and oriented Saiga-12 mesh into shotgun trap frame. Folded stock, filled in missing faces at the base of the stock, and mapped texture over it. Adjusted sheet-metal bands and cord. Exported, adjusted collision mesh, asf.
Fixed rotations of placed Combat Shotguns in GECK to be flat to the surfaces which they rest on.
More testing. Attack rate was too slow. Set animation multiplier to 1.4 in GECK to match the Combat Shotgun's 1.5 attacks per second, set Semi-Automatic Fire Delay Max from 3 to .5, FWIW.
1. You can freely create new skins for this model, just don't forget to place the link to the origin, or credit the authors. 2. If you want to use this model in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod or side project, contact the original creators. 3. You can use it in other games without permission, just don't forget to place the link to the origin, or credit the authors.